YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Australian Brahmic Buddhism - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Australian Brahmic Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pilgrim

Re: Australian Brahmic Buddhism

Postby pilgrim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 am

Aj Chah says that Samatha and Vipassana are like 2 ends of a stick. You can't pick one up without the other. I believe that Aj Brahm accepts the same principle. However in teaching, it is possible that the content of his talks would be influenced by his audience. The Theravada community to a large extent is skewed towards dry-insight practice. His talks may be designed to address this position.

Dmytro, not to press the point, but I was just trying to say that Aj Brahm's 5 or 6 bhikkhunis are no different from the thousands of other bhikkhunis today in terms of their lineage which descended from the Dharmagupta. It is not his peculiarity, but the accepted model.

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 am

I think Brahmavamso's schismatic behaviour does not lie in the interpretation of technicalities.

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:32 am

Ajahn Brahm hasn't been expelled from anything other than a group of Thai monks that call some shots in Thailand, and with Thai laypeople who follow those monks living abroad...he is, and will be fine (with more than 35 years in the robes, as well as a sheepskin, I'd say he's got a pretty good handle on (most all) matters...once again, if people don't agree with the way other people see matters, why muddy the water?...move on in the direction of those that share your beliefs...

Be well...

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:54 am

_/|\_

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Jack

Postby Jack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 pm

I've been enjoying the Dhammaloka's society youtube channel. Every week Ajahn Brahm gives an excellent hour long dhamma talk:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA

I've also been enjoying many of his writings.

I'm glad this thread exists so I know what he has to say is not 100% agreed upon in regards to the Pali Canon.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

adeh

Postby adeh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:15 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:25 pm

This is either naif or disingenuous. It is not just "some group of monks" who have expelled Brahmavamso.

He has been expelled from Luang Por Chah's line of teachers. And well overdue too.

He has gone from class clown ( which was tedious enough ) to renegade.

:hello:

Vardali

Postby Vardali » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:59 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:11 pm

No one DOES have to listen to him. So why defend him ?
He has by a act of his own free will placed himself beyond Sanghic relations to the group of monks he trained with and sat with and ate with, and whose teacher was his teacher. I dont think renegade is too strong a word.
Describing this situation accurately is not "venomous." Its just the way it is...and its very sad.

I personally found his "cheeky Buddhist stand- up " persona very tedious indeed, and thought that it entailed a huge ego.

I dont know why he did not go the whole hog and buy a top hat and cane and sing " Puttin' On The Ritz" while tap dancing..

Subsequent events have rather confirmed my instincts. But that is another matter.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Looking at Ajahn Brahm's numerous accolades, notoriety, popularity, large number of organizations he is spiritual advisor to, accomplishments, achievements, awards, longevity, inspiration, and all around demeanor, many do find him worthy of defense...not that it's needed...

Be well...

adeh

Postby adeh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:53 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Of course Adeh, and my subjective reaction to his teaching style does not cause me to forget that. That makes it more , not less tragic. Its daft. It was unneccessary. There is a lot of evidence that if he had not declared UDI the ordinations would have been delayed but would have happened anyway. A lot of people were working towards a solution and he walked away from them.

darvki

Postby darvki » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm going to leave the subject of the Bhikkhuni ordination alone since it isn't cited as part of "Australian Brahmic Buddhism" in the OP.

I think the attention brought to his differences in technical interpretation is a bit unsubstantiated. We might as well do it for every teacher within the Theravada whose interpretations differ from the majority.

Leaving aside the technical leaves the citation of the video as an indicator of his overall teaching style, which I find sort of amusing. Is it really such a big deal that he at least on principle endorsed the Bodhisatta ideal or the concept of buddha-nature?

As for the link to Ajahn Sujato's article on the Agamas, I don't see how subscribing to a different transmission of the Buddhavacana because one finds it to be more reliable brings one outside the Theravada.

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Erm..... yes it is rather a big deal darvki. He's gone troppo.

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”