Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Mr. G

Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Post by Mr. G »

Does anyone know of any modern day Pure Land Masters? I'm thinking someone comparable to Yin Guang. Bascially someone who has spent alot of time in retreat.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Post by Astus »

The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Hi Astus,

I think I used a different spelling in my first post, but yes, I have that book and liked it. He was definitely an amazing teacher and practitioner.

:namaste:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
plwk

Post by plwk »

Links: 1 2
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

mr. gordo wrote:Hi Astus,

I think I used a different spelling in my first post, but yes, I have that book and liked it. He was definitely an amazing teacher and practitioner.

:namaste:
Yinguang (印光) and Guangqin (廣欽) are two different teachers, not the same age and not exactly the same type of background and teaching. The teachings of Yinguang in English are in the book "Pure-Land Zen, Zen Pure-Land: Letters from patriarch Yin Kuang". Yinguang is more of the faith and other-power approach, Guangqin is more of meditation and self-power.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Duh! Thanks for the correction Astus. :smile:

Thanks for the vids of Ching Kung plwk. Has he done alot of time in retreat?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
plwk

Post by plwk »

From what my friends who are his followers have told me, I am sure he has mr gordo and even conducts numerous retreats for others. He is the present day living example and an admirable reference on Pure Land teaching & practice in the Chinese Mahayana world undoubtedly.
I wonder who has he designated as his successor though...
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Interesting plwk, thanks!
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

If you enjoy the Chan - Pureland style, then I would definitely recommend checking out this teacher, Ven Huiri 慧日法師. I spent several years practicing with him when I was in South Africa.

A couple of my friends have set up a site for those Pureland teachings here, and another one focusing on the Chan here, though the original site is still here.

One of those friends used to be a web designer, and both of them after studying with Ven Huiri have also been practicing in Nepal for a few years. One of their teachers is HH KC Ayang Rinpoche, who is a phowa teacher.

He has done a few years in solitary retreat, both Chan and Pureland practice. He's also led maybe 150 7-10 day retreats over the years, as well, all over the world.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Huifeng wrote:If you enjoy the Chan - Pureland style, then I would definitely recommend checking out this teacher, Ven Huiri 慧日法師. I spent several years practicing with him when I was in South Africa.

A couple of my friends have set up a site for those Pureland teachings here, and another one focusing on the Chan here, though the original site is still here.

One of those friends used to be a web designer, and both of them after studying with Ven Huiri have also been practicing in Nepal for a few years. One of their teachers is HH KC Ayang Rinpoche, who is a phowa teacher.

He has done a few years in solitary retreat, both Chan and Pureland practice. He's also led maybe 150 7-10 day retreats over the years, as well, all over the world.
Thank you Venerable, this is fascinating. I've never heard of Ven Huiri.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

So in terms of living Pure Land masters...just two? Including Ayang Ripoche, 3?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Recently the master and I were talking about his revolutionary change from Ch'an practice to totally practising the Pureland path of Master ShanDao, unable to maintain my curiosity I blurted out"

"But don't you miss your Ch'an practice? You spent so many years and so much effort doing it, don't you regret giving it up as completely as you have?"

He looked at me sideways, with that really mischievous smile of his and said:

"You don't understand. There's nothing to give up, nothing to lose. Everything I do is Ch'an. Ch'an is all around us. Could you possible let go of the space you're sitting in now? Could you be anything but sitting here in this space? Of course not! Ch'an is in anything and everything I do. I just don't talk about it like I used to anymore. I don't sit and think about it and discuss it and teach it."

"I looked at the people in this world. I saw how much they suffer, how difficult it is for them to understand, to practice, so I started teaching about Amitabha Buddha instead. And I'm the kind of person who only teaches what he practices, so I had to start practicing Pureland, and had to practice it properly, or I wouldn't be able to teach it."

Giving Up Chan?
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Astus wrote:Recently the master and I were talking about his revolutionary change from Ch'an practice to totally practising the Pureland path of Master ShanDao, unable to maintain my curiosity I blurted out"

"But don't you miss your Ch'an practice? You spent so many years and so much effort doing it, don't you regret giving it up as completely as you have?"

He looked at me sideways, with that really mischievous smile of his and said:

"You don't understand. There's nothing to give up, nothing to lose. Everything I do is Ch'an. Ch'an is all around us. Could you possible let go of the space you're sitting in now? Could you be anything but sitting here in this space? Of course not! Ch'an is in anything and everything I do. I just don't talk about it like I used to anymore. I don't sit and think about it and discuss it and teach it."

"I looked at the people in this world. I saw how much they suffer, how difficult it is for them to understand, to practice, so I started teaching about Amitabha Buddha instead. And I'm the kind of person who only teaches what he practices, so I had to start practicing Pureland, and had to practice it properly, or I wouldn't be able to teach it."

Giving Up Chan?
:good:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

Ven Master Chin Kung is really a master that lead me to the core of buddhism. Thanks for changing my life and thought. you can say he's link down from Patriarch Yin Kuang. as His teacher, Upasaka Li Binan was a student of patriarch Yin Kuang.

/\
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
tonyleesb

Post by tonyleesb »

Astus wrote:The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
I am searching for the video, can you please provide the video link of his funeral. Tq. :buddha1:
plwk

Post by plwk »

tonyleesb wrote:
Astus wrote:The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

I am searching for the video, can you please provide the video link of his funeral. Tq. :buddha1:
phpBB [video]
Osho

Post by Osho »

Mr. G wrote:Does anyone know of any modern day Pure Land Masters? I'm thinking someone comparable to Yin Guang. Bascially someone who has spent alot of time in retreat.
Tariki Trust's Caroline Brazier is very good.
UK and France Based.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).

Return to “Pure Land”