The board and its direction (if any)

Anything goes (almost).

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby conebeckham » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm

A few new folks start posting about the occult, theosophy, and/or "dharma topics as filtered through "magical understanding," and people start talking about lock-downs and New Age Invasions?

It's just a wave in the ocean. It will pass when they lose interest.

I'm in agreement with Malcolm. Unless people post what is plainly Adharma, in which case those points should be corrected.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
User avatar
conebeckham
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Malcolm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Image
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12144
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby conebeckham » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Malcolm, is that the New Age Invasion, or the Dharma Police Lynch Mob?


:smile:
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
User avatar
conebeckham
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Malcolm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

conebeckham wrote:Malcolm, is that the New Age Invasion, or the Dharma Police Lynch Mob?


:smile:



Lynch mob.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12144
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby conebeckham » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Ah...thanks! :smile: Friendly bunch, that....
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
User avatar
conebeckham
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Jikan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm

back to topic: does the board *need* a particular direction?

I'd prefer DW be a place for meaningful dialogue and learning. A consensus club would be constipated and boring. And small.
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5262
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Will » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Jikan wrote:back to topic: does the board *need* a particular direction?

I'd prefer DW be a place for meaningful dialogue and learning. A consensus club would be constipated and boring. And small.


Me too.

Mods can just dump any threads they think anti- or non-Dharmic into the Lounge.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Jnana » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Me too. The Mahāyāna is a large vehicle.
Jnana
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby dharmagoat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Jikan wrote:I'd prefer DW be a place for meaningful dialogue and learning. A consensus club would be constipated and boring. And small.

I don't understand what you mean by "consensus club".

Blue Garuda wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:When it comes to the appropriateness of subject matter, I believe that the best form of moderation for a site like this is one that follows the consensus of its members. This means that it is the responsibility of each member to maintain the integrity and Buddhist identity of this forum by pointing out when they believe discussions cease to adequately represent the essence of what the Buddha taught. No action need be taken, as long as it remains clear what is considered by most to be authentic Buddhism and what is not.

Nobody knows what that consensus is.

By "consensus" I mean "general vibe", if that makes it any clearer. Being a Buddhist forum, it is our shared understanding of the Dharma that will be the common ground on which we can establish what is representative of this website and what is not. Maybe, as catmoon has suggested, we can make it clearer what this common ground actually is.

And what's all this about "lynch mobs"?

What I have suggested is that it is up to members to collectively preserve the Buddhist identity of this site by posting appropriate disclaimers when topics appear to obscure or confuse the message of the Buddhist teachings. I have stated that no intervention is required if this is maintained. When intervention is required it can be as benign as moving a thread to a more appropriate forum. I can't recall anyone on this thread seriously suggesting that topics be restricted, and certainly no mention of anyone being banned.
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Jikan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 pm

I mean by "consensus club" a community predicated on consensus: you're here because you agree with us, you're one of us because you agree with us, &c. I'd rather be among those who share a common interest with me (in this instance, Buddha Dharma) but are not necessarily in the loyalty oath racket. That's what I mean and what I meant to imply with the phrase "consensus club."

"Without Contraries is No Progression."
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5262
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby dharmagoat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:01 am

Jikan wrote:I mean by "consensus club" a community predicated on consensus: you're here because you agree with us, you're one of us because you agree with us, &c. I'd rather be among those who share a common interest with me (in this instance, Buddha Dharma) but are not necessarily in the loyalty oath racket. That's what I mean and what I meant to imply with the phrase "consensus club."

Clearly this is not what I was advocating in my previous posts.
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby catmoon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 am

Malcolm wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Practiced distinterest is better than shrill denunciations.

M



"All that is required for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing."



That might be true of the Third Reich, but it hardly applies to the "new ager question".


Point taken. However, the principle does have broader applications than the Third Reich, all the same.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby VlcImba » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Proud to participate In THe great protest of dharmawheel 2012:)
Form is emptiness,emptiness is form
User avatar
VlcImba
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Nemo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Malcolm wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Practiced distinterest is better than shrill denunciations.

M



"All that is required for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing."



That might be true of the Third Reich, but it hardly applies to the "new ager question".


I find New Agers about as dangerous as tofu. Unlike Nazis they are much too self abosorbed and lazy to be a threat to anything but themselves. Since this site does not generally cater to self aggrandizment and specialness I think they would lose interest. Forcing a direction on a site this new and small would probably kill it. Let it find it's own way. The other option is enjoying the silence.
User avatar
Nemo
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Jikan wrote:back to topic: does the board *need* a particular direction?

I'd prefer DW be a place for meaningful dialogue and learning. A consensus club would be constipated and boring. And small.

Seconded.
Especially the boring and constipated part.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Josef wrote:
Jikan wrote:back to topic: does the board *need* a particular direction?

I'd prefer DW be a place for meaningful dialogue and learning. A consensus club would be constipated and boring. And small.

Seconded.
Especially the boring and constipated part.


No shit? LOL :)

If staff tried to control or stifle debate excessively the forum would shrink and I think the most useful and interesting members would not post.

Equally, if staff were to let anything go, people would leave through frustration and through an unwillingness to be part of something they perceived as negative.

So, staff can only act in a limited way, and members have access to them with any grievances re. ToS breaches etc.

If members have a particular desire for a school or view to become more prominent then they can start threads.

What I find unacceptable is for members to bleat about the dominance of discussions on a topic they dislike or find boring, and do nothing at all to give the forum something they would find positive or interesting.

I sometimes start threads. It's good to find out that people like what you say, disagree or find you boring or offensive - and in some threads you get all of those reactions - or none ! LOL :)

Bear in mind that we have some members and non-members who only read and never post - I hope they do post and find that this forum is a fair and open medium for their message.
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby VlcImba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 am

A bit :offtopic: but don't ya think the forum is a little inactive compared to our sister dhammawheel.com? Just sayin ya know
Form is emptiness,emptiness is form
User avatar
VlcImba
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Indrajala » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:34 am

VlcImba wrote:A bit :offtopic: but don't ya think the forum is a little inactive compared to our sister dhammawheel.com? Just sayin ya know


That's because there are several other major forums for Mahāyāna discussions. Market share dictates we'll only get a certain portion of the available market. :coffee:


Dhammawheel is the chief forum for Theravada discussion in English I reckon.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
User avatar
Indrajala
 
Posts: 5958
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Japan

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 am

Huseng wrote:
VlcImba wrote:A bit :offtopic: but don't ya think the forum is a little inactive compared to our sister dhammawheel.com? Just sayin ya know


That's because there are several other major forums for Mahāyāna discussions. Market share dictates we'll only get a certain portion of the available market. :coffee:


Dhammawheel is the chief forum for Theravada discussion in English I reckon.


I think the statistics were posted by the Team recently. Numerically and in terms of 'active' membership, this is pretty much the top Mahayana forum, but seems less busy these days since some key members are not posting. In recent months, if Dzogchen posts were removed, it would appear very quiet. These things go in cycles, but where there are specialist forums such as Zen Forum International there is naturally less traffic here on Zen.
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: The board and its direction (if any)

Postby VlcImba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Blue Garuda wrote:
Huseng wrote:
VlcImba wrote:A bit :offtopic: but don't ya think the forum is a little inactive compared to our sister dhammawheel.com? Just sayin ya know


That's because there are several other major forums for Mahāyāna discussions. Market share dictates we'll only get a certain portion of the available market. :coffee:


Dhammawheel is the chief forum for Theravada discussion in English I reckon.


I think the statistics were posted by the Team recently. Numerically and in terms of 'active' membership, this is pretty much the top Mahayana forum, but seems less busy these days since some key members are not posting. In recent months, if Dzogchen posts were removed, it would appear very quiet. These things go in cycles, but where there are specialist forums such as Zen Forum International there is naturally less traffic here on Zen.


Thanks for pointing it out guys :) I love the forum and I do really hope that more people can enjoy discussions here like we do :)
Form is emptiness,emptiness is form
User avatar
VlcImba
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

>