Issues with going on retreat.

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: The Buddhism trend in decline.

Postby Andrew108 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:27 pm

They would think that the spiritual journey is additive. Which ironically goes against the intention of renunciation.
Andrew108

Postby Will » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Huseng wrote:
Will wrote:As for 'doubts' Jeff - that is what vows are for. Consider Peixiu's comments:

I'm not confident enough with myself to think my petty attempts at bodhicitta, aspirations and dharma will spare me the lower realms.

As Ajahn Brahm has said, karma is where you get what you deserve.

I can only hope on the far side of death I end up with agreeable circumstances.

I am in a similar boat - but I do have full confidence that the karmic fruit of bodhicitta vows, if sincere, will always pull me in the Dharmic direction. Intention (cetana) IS karma, so power up your vows & aspirations and be assured that they will keep you on the right road - rocky though it may be.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby muni » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Bodhichitta? When a poster gets a shower over his head like drunken ones acting in a bar!
Declining? Please put those sharing Dharma in a corner so that they can go on with their rubbish! Not all can search on internet and came to read here. Many offered Dharma teachings I never saw on internet, so very grateful. Stupid isn't?

Why is there PM possibilities? It had been possible to just talk and find a respectful solution.
muni

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Will wrote:
Malcolm: Renunciation is not a cause for liberation.

Baloney. Virtually every other spiritual tradition agrees with Buddha, that non-attachment or renunciation is a critical element on the path to liberation.

Non-attachment aka freedom from grasping on the one hand, and renunciation on the other are very different.

The former is liberation; the latter is not, and does not necessarily lead to the former.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Will » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:02 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Will wrote:
Malcolm: Renunciation is not a cause for liberation.

Baloney. Virtually every other spiritual tradition agrees with Buddha, that non-attachment or renunciation is a critical element on the path to liberation.

Non-attachment aka freedom from grasping on the one hand, and renunciation on the other are very different.

The former is liberation; the latter is not, and does not necessarily lead to the former.

I win the bet with myself - M. will define a BIG difference between renunciation & non-attachment.

My understanding is that they are identical mental states. Is it possible to 'renounce' physical things and still crave -- surely -- no surprise there. That is why I added non-attachment to clarify to anyone who might think only physical tossing away was meant. Guess I have no skillful teaching abilities.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby Josef » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:16 pm

Will wrote:
I win the bet with myself - M. will define a BIG difference between renunciation & non-attachment.

My understanding is that they are identical mental states.

To renounce is to abandon or reject something. To give up or abandon.
This is fine from the Sutra point of view but it is not the path of Vajrayana and Dzogchen.
There is a significant difference between renunciation and non-attachment.
Josef

Postby Will » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 pm

I will not quibble Josef. If you think there is real difference - so be it. I have renounced attachment to definitional fussiness.
Will

Issues with going on retreat.

Postby gyougan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Huseng wrote:We think of securing ourselves financially before engaging in serious practice for fear that we'll go hungry if we don't. We think in terms of money, nor merit.

This is so true it hurts...

... and that's exactly why we need forms of Buddhism that can be practiced anywhere even the in the midst of worst madness of today's crazy society.

Mahayana Buddhism has failed totally if liberation is possible only by leaving the secular world and going to the mountains.
gyougan

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Point well taken.

Ahh, the eternal temptation to drop everything and go shut oneself off and away, far, far away in some hideout that humankind has all but completely forgotten - and there abandon oneself totally and unconditionally to practice and only practice.

A nice escapist dream.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:43 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:A nice escapist dream.

Until you go there and try doing it.
dharmagoat

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:37 am

dharmagoat wrote:

Then hopefully you realize there you've been deluding yourself all along.
treehuggingoctopus

Postby dharmagoat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:24 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:

And practice anyway.
dharmagoat

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 pm

dharmagoat wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:Until you go there and try doing it.

And practice anyway.

Fingers crossed.

Btw, before anyone feels offended: I was thinking of myself as much as of others. If it's undoubtedly an escapist dream, it's just as undoubtedly one that keeps tormenting me as well.
treehuggingoctopus

Postby dharmagoat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:39 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:Ahh, the eternal temptation to drop everything and go shut oneself off and away, far, far away in some hideout that humankind has all but completely forgotten - and there abandon oneself totally and unconditionally to practice and only practice.

A nice escapist dream.

I have been dreaming this for decades. Only recently have I discovered how unrealistic it is. Many times I have had the opportunity to practice like this, only to discover how difficult it is to actually see it through. Since abandoning lofty aspirations, my practice has developed naturally to fill the space in my regular life that I have left for it. It is my experience that Buddhist practice becomes more inaccessible the more it is idealised. No problem if you are a Buddha.
dharmagoat

Postby Nemo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

It's very realistic when you are young and have no ties. Even a crusty bastard like me has taken a few years out of his life for retreat. Admitting that your need for comfort and security is greater than your spiritual aspirations is more honest than saying it is an escapist dream. People love money and worldly life more than Dharma. It sounds like you are trying to comfort yourself by thinking everyone has your low standards.
Nemo

Postby dharmagoat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Nemo wrote:It's very realistic when you are young and have no ties. Even a crusty bastard like me has taken a few years out of his life for retreat. Admitting that your need for comfort and security is greater than your spiritual aspirations is more honest than saying it is an escapist dream. People love money and worldly life more than Dharma. It sounds like you are trying to comfort yourself by thinking everyone has your low standards.

My point is that I compromised my practice by setting unrealistic goals. Also, by appoaching practice as something sacred, I divorced it from my ordinary life. I am happy to have (what you describe as) low standards if it means that my practice can become a natural extension of my daily life, instead of remaining some over-glorified pipe dream. Your mileage may differ.
dharmagoat

Postby Malcolm » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Nemo wrote:It's very realistic when you are young and have no ties. Even a crusty bastard like me has taken a few years out of his life for retreat. Admitting that your need for comfort and security is greater than your spiritual aspirations is more honest than saying it is an escapist dream. People love money and worldly life more than Dharma. It sounds like you are trying to comfort yourself by thinking everyone has your low standards.

Everyone has to discover their limitations and practice withing those. When you know what your limitations are, then liberation is very possible, even if you like money, comfort and security.

M
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Virgo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 pm

dharmagoat wrote:

My point is that I compromised my practice by setting unrealistic goals. Also, by appoaching practice as something sacred, I divorced it from my ordinary life. I am happy to have (what you describe as) low standards if it means that my practice can become a natural extension of my daily life, instead of remaining some over-glorified pipe dream. Your mileage may differ.

You should really practice Dzogchen if your limited for time.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Nemo wrote: People love money and worldly life more than Dharma. It sounds like you are trying to comfort yourself by thinking everyone has your low standards.

That's right. Because we all want to be big Rock Stars.

And that's fine, because it's a natural expression of our enlightened qualities.

Virgo

Postby dharmagoat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Virgo wrote:Because we all want to be big Rock Stars.

And that's fine, because it's a natural expression of our enlightened qualities.

Buddha was a Rock Star?
dharmagoat

Next

Return to Open Dharma