How does new DC member get access to webcasts?

windoverwater

How does new DC member get access to webcasts?

Post by windoverwater »

I am a new member who missed out on the recent WWT because of technical glitch not allowing open access from mobile devices. I had requested log in information **before** WWT from Tsegyalgar East, but was told I didn't need it for WWT. However, because of the glitch, and not being given a log in method, I could not gain access.

I just emailed T.E. secretary, who replied that he knows nothing about mobile access for WWT, and, not to worry, there are open webcasts all the time, and eventually the webcast team will contact me with log in information. I am confused, because SSI website says to contact one's gar of membership to get the log in info.

What does an open webcast mean? Is it open to anyone with web access, or just DC members? If the open webcast is for DC members, wouldn't I still need to log in?

What about archived teachings? Does DC membership give me permission to view them? Don't I still need to be able to log in to do that? Who would I contact to get some kind of general guidance as to most appropriately utilize ChNN's archived teachings? There's a wealth of material, from what I gather, and I am not sure how to tailor my viewing and study for my specific situation.

Thanks for your help.
Sally Gross

Re: How does new DC member get access to webcasts?

Post by Sally Gross »

windoverwater wrote:
What does an open webcast mean? Is it open to anyone with web access, or just DC members? If the open webcast is for DC members, wouldn't I still need to log in?

What about archived teachings? Does DC membership give me permission to view them? Don't I still need to be able to log in to do that? Who would I contact to get some kind of general guidance as to most appropriately utilize ChNN's archived teachings? There's a wealth of material, from what I gather, and I am not sure how to tailor my viewing and study for my specific situation.

Thanks for your help.
I'm abysmally ignorant about the mechanics of viewing webcasts with mobile devices -- I take it that you refer to cellphones. Open webcasts: these are open to anyone in principle, provided of-course that you have a device (a computer, or perhaps an iPad) which allows you to view the webcast. The setups I use need Adobe Flash Player to work , as I discovered; but if you have suitable hardware and software, no password is needed to view the webcast. Closed webcasts, by contrast, require a user-name and password, obtainable by DC members, and these are needed to log on to the closed webcasts. I am fairly sure that the user-name and password are also needed to view Rinpoche's archived webcasts. I hope that this helps.
Dukkham eva hi, na koci dukkhito,
kaarako na, kiriyaa va vijjati,
atthi nibbuti, na nibbuto pumaa,
maggam atthi, gamako na vijjati

Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer,
no doer, though certainly the deed is found.
peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased,
the way is walked, but no walker's to be found.

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

In the following webpage there are all information you need:

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/mobile.php
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
windoverwater

Post by windoverwater »

Thank you.

Looks like it will take some time before my gar processes my membership, relays to web team, and I get my log-in info for viewing replays.

Return to “Dzogchen”