Incense burning box

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Incense burning box

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

I finally got what I think is called a coffin-style incense burner. It's so awesome! It's so much neater and cleaner, I just love it! I strongly recommend it for offerings or if you just like to burn incense.

Mine looks a lot like this:

do_not_zzz

Re: Incense burning box

Post by do_not_zzz »

Very nice! Mine is of similar shape, but the wood is a different color.

-dnz
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

do_not_zzz wrote:Very nice! Mine is of similar shape, but the wood is a different color.

-dnz
Do they get stinky after a while? I have a chimney-type burner and it gets all coated in tar and starts smelling more like an ashtray than incense. And it is very difficult to clean.

Any advice?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

Honestly, mine has yet to do that. Want kind of incense are you burning? Is the incense so close to the holder that it is burning places into the wood? Not sure if that has anything at all to do with it, but I'm just trying to think what could make it smell like an ashtray.

Dnz
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I received a coffin style burner too. Is it OK to burn incense sticks and have the cover down?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

mr. gordo wrote:I received a coffin style burner too. Is it OK to burn incense sticks and have the cover down?
That's how I've been doing it and it's working great! :)

Best,
Laura
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

K, give it a coupla months of daily use and report back, ok?

I am most interested if there is a solution to the stinky tar problem.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

The tar problem is common for all types of incense burners, esp those with lids on them.

But for some people, this is sort of a good thing; the tar you would otherwise inhale is blocked by the cover. The cover develops a resinous patina with continued usage, and acts like a filter.

Good quality incense will not leave a stinky coating; rather, the coating will have the same smell as the incense.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

catmoon wrote:K, give it a coupla months of daily use and report back, ok?

I am most interested if there is a solution to the stinky tar problem.
Catmoon, that is weird but I can see how it would happen. I close the box so all of the everything stays in the box. Only the wafting scent emerges from the holes on the top of the box.

If it gets icky I can go back to my old school incense burner, it's just that it gets ashes everywhere no matter how careful I try to be, and then I'm cleaning up the shrine way more often.

Will report back with results...

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Devotee wrote:The tar problem is common for all types of incense burners, esp those with lids on them.

But for some people, this is sort of a good thing; the tar you would otherwise inhale is blocked by the cover. The cover develops a resinous patina with continued usage, and acts like a filter.

Good quality incense will not leave a stinky coating; rather, the coating will have the same smell as the incense.
I use good and bad incense :emb:

Depends on finances.

Best,
Laura
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Most Tibetan and Indian incense brands are good. Avoid incense that is heavily colored and smells artificial, as is the case with mainland Chinese/HK and American incense.

If you have access to it, Taiwanese incense seems to be moderately priced compared to Tibetan and Indian incense, and is quite good.

Buy in bulk to save money; good incense will keep for years.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Devotee wrote:Most Tibetan and Indian incense brands are good. Avoid incense that is heavily colored and smells artificial, as is the case with mainland Chinese/HK and American incense.

If you have access to it, Taiwanese incense seems to be moderately priced compared to Tibetan and Indian incense, and is quite good.

el gatito

Post by el gatito »

Devotee wrote:Most Tibetan and Indian incense brands are good. Avoid incense that is heavily colored and smells artificial, as is the case with mainland Chinese/HK and American incense.

As no incense whatsoever is available locally (well, in a bit remote rural area), and as Tibetan incense are not available even in the nearest town (there are Indian ones -- but they all smell artificial here) -- I simply take 3 to 5 long pieces of eucalyptus bark, seriously, and they burn just fine, like very good incense.

:namaste:
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Wow. Impressive. :-)

That's what real incense is to me--fragrant wood in its purest form.

When I dont have incense, I do something similar---powdered cinnamon smells great, and works like a self-igniting incense powder. Just sprinkle a layer over ash, light with a lighter until an ember glows, and it's on it;s way. :-)
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:I received a coffin style burner too. Is it OK to burn incense sticks and have the cover down?
That's how I've been doing it and it's working great! :)

Best,
Laura

Yeah, it's been working well for me too.
Devotee wrote:But for some people, this is sort of a good thing; the tar you would otherwise inhale is blocked by the cover. The cover develops a resinous patina with continued usage, and acts like a filter.
Great tip Devotee, thanks!
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Lounge”