Wearing mantra amulets

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
adya

Wearing mantra amulets

Post by adya »

Hey guys, I have a question about wearing mantra amulets. Let's say, for example, you've written or printed out a copy of the Vajra Guru mantra with gold ink on blue paper and you wanted to wear it around your neck as an amulet.

Is there a special method of folding the mantra so that it doesn't cause any potential obstacles? Also, would it be
(im)proper to wear such an amulet while you're sleeping?

:namaste:
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Arthur O'Shaughnessy

http://www.care2.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/adya1974
https://www.youtube.com/user/crystalkaleidoscope
Konchog1

Re: Wearing mantra amulets

Post by Konchog1 »

femme_noire wrote:Also, would it be (im)proper to wear such an amulet while you're sleeping?
I don't belief so, not in itself. However, it is bad to lie on the amulet which can happen by accident while you sleep.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
adya

Post by adya »

Konchog1 wrote:
femme_noire wrote:Also, would it be (im)proper to wear such an amulet while you're sleeping?
I don't belief so, not in itself. However, it is bad to lie on the amulet which can happen by accident while you sleep.
Interesting. Well I'm a bit of wild sleeper. I toss and turn and such. So I guess the best thing for me to do is to place the amulet on the shrine before I go to sleep.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

femme_noire wrote:
Is there a special method of folding the mantra so that it doesn't cause any potential obstacles?

Hi Femme,

Yes, there is a proper way of writing out and then folding up such an amulet. Apart from that, typically they are wrapped in brocade or some nice fabric and/or placed inside a gau. Unfortunately I don't know much about the details of how to go about this, but I think there is likely a member or two around here that may. Good luck!
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
adya

Post by adya »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
femme_noire wrote:
Is there a special method of folding the mantra so that it doesn't cause any potential obstacles?

Hi Femme,

Yes, there is a proper way of writing out and then folding up such an amulet. Apart from that, typically they are wrapped in brocade or some nice fabric and/or placed inside a gau. Unfortunately I don't know much about the details of how to go about this, but I think there is likely a member or two around here that may. Good luck!
Pema, thanks for responding to my question. I have a kata I can use to wrap up the amulet and a peacock locket to place it in.

Let's say you're not an artistically-inclined individual and you're worried about screwing up while you're writing out the mantra. Would it be just as effective to print out a copy of it and use that as an amulet? For example, the copy of the Vajra Guru mantra below:

Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Hi femme,

I'm afraid I honestly don't know. I would imagine printing it is OK, but that writing it in some golden ink or something would be better, but I can't say for sure. I also suspect one might need to perform some sort of rite to authentic or empower the amulet, but I'm not sure about that either. Maybe Malcolm would know? Anyone out there in regular contact with a knowledgeable lama they can ask?

Also, are you particularly interested in making an amulet, or would you be interested in purchasing one from a monastery? I ask because mahasiddha.org (connected with Kyabje Do Drupchen Rinpoche's monastery in Sikkim) sells a multitude of amulets made by monks at Do Drupchen Rinpoche's Chorten Gompa in Sikkim. Either way, hope you find the answers you need. :)
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
weenid2003

Post by weenid2003 »

Hi Femme noire, I have also been looking around to make a guru rinpoche mantra amulet. May I know where did you buy your real gold ink ? I tried to look for a seller, but mostly I can only find gold paper and faux ink.

Please let me know, thanks.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I would not worry about sleeping on the amulet - unless you make the intent before sleep "I am going desecrate this amulet by rolling over on it." No intent, no foul.

One of the function of these blessed objects is protection - so it will protect you from bad dreams etc..

I always wear my Shurangama mantra (tiny sealed in plastic) except during a shower.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Lama Zopa says to take off such amulets at night so as not to make bad karma by rolling over on top of them. Before reading this, I sometimes would wear mine to sleep. Now I take them off. This has become itself a practice in mindfulness and respect for the Three Jewels. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

It may be worth asking Malcolm as I believe there is a method of folding taught by our guru, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.

It is something like: The top of the mantra or mandala is kept uppermost as you fold the paper from the bottom up, then repeat until it is the right height for the container. Then I think you can fold or roll it. Best to be exact, though, and maybe ask via PM.

The advice not to sleep on it is because if it is around your neck it may slip into your armpit, which would be seen as disrespectful. Personally, I think this is an archaic relic of social etiquette, but if you want to wear it at night just attach it to a short necklace or cord and it should be fine.
Left
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I think they make you one - "a real amulet"- from their respective tradition and culture.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Different Dzogchen related traditions have different tak drols (liberation on wearing), which are generally mandalas with mantras included. They are very meticulously drwan by artists who know what they are doing, or now-a-days photocopied from well-done originals. Then they are consecrated by being coated with saffron water containing relics and sacred substances, folded a very specific way, and tied a very specific way. Then they are often put in a brocade, silk, (or similar) bag with a cord for wearing around the neck at the level of the heart. The Longchen Nyingthig (for example) has lots, you can see them on the Mahasiddha Nyingmapa website. Each has a specific purpose. We do these projects under the supervision of a master to make sure they are correct.

Mantras are handled differently. First copied, then consecrated similarly, then cut into long strips (without cutting any of the letters) and rolled around a short piece of incense in a specific direction and sealed with a little glue. One marks what is up and down with red on the top. You know have a tight neat little sealed scroll. These are used to full statues, stupas and permanent tormas. Right side up!

One time I made some of these rolls of various mantras (correctly), painted a tiny seed syllable of the deity's mantra, and sealed them in little test tube like glass containers that have a silver loop on top for suspending from a necklace or string. One of my lamas blessed them and we sold them as a little fundraiser for our group. He didn't object at all.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”