Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What's up with Phantom59
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am
Posts: 56
Forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong place or the wrong way - moderators please don't hesitate to remove this if it's inappropriate.
But why is Phantom59's name on so many of these threads, as starter, last poster or whatever. The whole thing seems to be swamped by Phantom59. Who is s/he? What's the deal?

_________________
All the best
Alex Wilding
Benchen and Back digital edition now on Amazon - see http://tinyurl.com/78rdcoy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 452
Hey Alex,

Phantom59 is a Bot.

_________________
s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 1967
I raised this before.

Yes, I also think it is a bot as 'it' does not reply to posts or PM's.

Some of the stuff is interesting, but we are generally not allowed to post random extracts with no context or words of our own.

Neither would we be permitted to flood the board with dozens of posts, all of that random nature and fill up 'Recent Topics'.

Maybe staff will look at this?

_________________
Left


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm
Posts: 343
Like you say - members are encouraged to post exerpts, and to add quote (from whom this text quoted came from - many times there's just some quotes and nothing else, no author, no name of teaching etc.), and also link if possible (where then full article can be found).

Yet with phantom59, this is not done however. User has done this for years.

6. When quoting authors or texts please cite a source.

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1953
Bot or no Bot, we all have the internet and know how to surf for Buddhist stuff.

So if you are human - save some bandwidth for Dharma Wheel & stop. If you are a Bot - Mods kindly stop its clutter.

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 452
I agree, phantom59 should be blocked.

_________________
s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lafayette, CO
If phantom59 only posted one quote per day, that's be fine with me. However, what he or she is currently doing is, I think, inappropriate. Thanks for starting this thread. I've been concerned about this for several days now. Glad to see I'm not alone. :namaste:

_________________
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 854
I like his/her/its posts, especially with regards to the events. It helps to have somewhere where all the upcoming Buddhist events in your area are consolidated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
I don't see any violation of rules.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 pm
Posts: 160
I think Phantom59s posts are great. I very much doubt anyone would mind reposting these types of things here. There is usually a link and thus it also serves as advertisement for the website it was copied from. It's within "fair use" I think. I always look at the original websites when there is something that catches my attention, and I learned about many interesting organizations from Phantom59s posts.

Just my opinion
Best wishes, Lars

p.s. I doubt Phantom59 is a bot. It's just one or more people who doesn't want to interact except by forwarding the texts, at least not using that username.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm
Posts: 343
Huseng,

Like I posted above, from Dharma Wheel's own Terms of Service:

Quote:
6. When quoting authors or texts please cite a source.

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.


Is the above not clear enough?

Or perhaps this rule does not apply to phantom59? But applies to everybody else?

If a quote is posted, it would be nice to add the author of that quote, and where it is from. Not just drop the quote alone, then run off to next thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 452
I'm not sure how others check Dharmawheel, but I always start with 'view active topics'... sometimes phantom59 has posted half a dozen or so topics and I have to scroll through all the bumph to get to the threads I am interested in..

Can we poll people to see if they want it blocked or not?

9 times out of 10 the link takes you to a page with the exact same quote and little else! It's pointless, I have rarely seen anything of interest on them.

_________________
s.


Last edited by Stewart on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 pm
Posts: 130
I actually like the posts, it's kind of refreshing to see someone post teachings rather than trying to teach.

_________________
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm
Posts: 343
I don't.

The posts are without credit and source.

It means when there's no link to original site, you have no idea where it was taken from. No credit given in other words. Furthermore, there's no identification given as to who said or wrote what was posted. There's nothing of the sort.

It's just blatant copypasting of whatever's been found online, and then later posted here en masse. The threads posted by phantom59 are virtually untouched as far as discussion goes, because there really isn't anything to discuss. There's just no point to it.

And just now, another thread by phantom59 was made, no credit - no source - no link. Just a straight forward copypaste ( viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9495 )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Stewart wrote:
I'm not sure how others check Dharmawheel, but I always start with 'view active topics'... sometimes phantom59 has posted half a dozen or so topics and I have to scroll through all the bumph to get to the threads I am interested in..

Can we poll people to see if they want it blocked or not?

9 times out of 10 the link takes you to a page with the exact same quote and little else! It's pointless, I have rarely seen anything of interest on them.



Agreed. P59 is taking up bandwidth in a rather useless way. He should stick to phayul.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 1967
Norwegian wrote:
Huseng,

Like I posted above, from Dharma Wheel's own Terms of Service:

Quote:
6. When quoting authors or texts please cite a source.

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.


Is the above not clear enough?

Or perhaps this rule does not apply to phantom59? But applies to everybody else?

If a quote is posted, it would be nice to add the author of that quote, and where it is from. Not just drop the quote alone, then run off to next thread.




If staff want a workable compromise:
Random bits of Dharma flooding a forum across many subforums is a pain.
Give the bot one thread into which all the posts must go, in the same way that Samahita's stuff hits Theravadan forums.
That way only the latest will appear in Recent Topics and anyone who wants to read it knows exactly where to find this stuff.

_________________
Left


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 1355
Blue Garuda wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
Huseng,

Like I posted above, from Dharma Wheel's own Terms of Service:

Quote:
6. When quoting authors or texts please cite a source.

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.


Is the above not clear enough?

Or perhaps this rule does not apply to phantom59? But applies to everybody else?

If a quote is posted, it would be nice to add the author of that quote, and where it is from. Not just drop the quote alone, then run off to next thread.




If staff want a workable compromise:
Random bits of Dharma flooding a forum across many subforums is a pain.
Give the bot one thread into which all the posts must go, in the same way that Samahita's stuff hits Theravadan forums.
That way only the latest will appear in Recent Topics and anyone who wants to read it knows exactly where to find this stuff.
Second

_________________
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 365
Yep, I second Blue Garuda's suggestion, too.

_________________
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
Okay I'm running some ideas up the flagpole and seeing if there is any mod concensus on this one. I favour the poll idea myself. Stay tuned.

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
I am dealing with it. :techproblem:

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group