What's up with Phantom59

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

What's up with Phantom59

Post by Lingpupa »

Forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong place or the wrong way - moderators please don't hesitate to remove this if it's inappropriate.
But why is Phantom59's name on so many of these threads, as starter, last poster or whatever. The whole thing seems to be swamped by Phantom59. Who is s/he? What's the deal?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Stewart

Re: What's up with Phantom59

Post by Stewart »

Hey Alex,

Phantom59 is a Bot.
s.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I raised this before.

Yes, I also think it is a bot as 'it' does not reply to posts or PM's.

Some of the stuff is interesting, but we are generally not allowed to post random extracts with no context or words of our own.

Neither would we be permitted to flood the board with dozens of posts, all of that random nature and fill up 'Recent Topics'.

Maybe staff will look at this?
Left
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Like you say - members are encouraged to post exerpts, and to add quote (from whom this text quoted came from - many times there's just some quotes and nothing else, no author, no name of teaching etc.), and also link if possible (where then full article can be found).

Yet with phantom59, this is not done however. User has done this for years.

6. When quoting authors or texts please cite a source.

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Bot or no Bot, we all have the internet and know how to surf for Buddhist stuff.

So if you are human - save some bandwidth for Dharma Wheel & stop. If you are a Bot - Mods kindly stop its clutter.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I agree, phantom59 should be blocked.
s.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

If phantom59 only posted one quote per day, that's be fine with me. However, what he or she is currently doing is, I think, inappropriate. Thanks for starting this thread. I've been concerned about this for several days now. Glad to see I'm not alone. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I like his/her/its posts, especially with regards to the events. It helps to have somewhere where all the upcoming Buddhist events in your area are consolidated.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I don't see any violation of rules.
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

I think Phantom59s posts are great. I very much doubt anyone would mind reposting these types of things here. There is usually a link and thus it also serves as advertisement for the website it was copied from. It's within "fair use" I think. I always look at the original websites when there is something that catches my attention, and I learned about many interesting organizations from Phantom59s posts.

Just my opinion
Best wishes, Lars

p.s. I doubt Phantom59 is a bot. It's just one or more people who doesn't want to interact except by forwarding the texts, at least not using that username.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Huseng,

Like I posted above, from Dharma Wheel's own Terms of Service:

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.
Is the above not clear enough?

Or perhaps this rule does not apply to phantom59? But applies to everybody else?

If a quote is posted, it would be nice to add the author of that quote, and where it is from. Not just drop the quote alone, then run off to next thread.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I'm not sure how others check Dharmawheel, but I always start with 'view active topics'... sometimes phantom59 has posted half a dozen or so topics and I have to scroll through all the bumph to get to the threads I am interested in..

Can we poll people to see if they want it blocked or not?

9 times out of 10 the link takes you to a page with the exact same quote and little else! It's pointless, I have rarely seen anything of interest on them.
Last edited by Stewart on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s.
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

I actually like the posts, it's kind of refreshing to see someone post teachings rather than trying to teach.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

I don't.

The posts are without credit and source.

It means when there's no link to original site, you have no idea where it was taken from. No credit given in other words. Furthermore, there's no identification given as to who said or wrote what was posted. There's nothing of the sort.

It's just blatant copypasting of whatever's been found online, and then later posted here en masse. The threads posted by phantom59 are virtually untouched as far as discussion goes, because there really isn't anything to discuss. There's just no point to it.

And just now, another thread by phantom59 was made, no credit - no source - no link. Just a straight forward copypaste ( http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Stewart wrote:I'm not sure how others check Dharmawheel, but I always start with 'view active topics'... sometimes phantom59 has posted half a dozen or so topics and I have to scroll through all the bumph to get to the threads I am interested in..

Can we poll people to see if they want it blocked or not?

9 times out of 10 the link takes you to a page with the exact same quote and little else! It's pointless, I have rarely seen anything of interest on them.

Agreed. P59 is taking up bandwidth in a rather useless way. He should stick to phayul.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Norwegian wrote:Huseng,

Or perhaps this rule does not apply to phantom59? But applies to everybody else?

If a quote is posted, it would be nice to add the author of that quote, and where it is from. Not just drop the quote alone, then run off to next thread.

If staff want a workable compromise:
Random bits of Dharma flooding a forum across many subforums is a pain.
Give the bot one thread into which all the posts must go, in the same way that Samahita's stuff hits Theravadan forums.
That way only the latest will appear in Recent Topics and anyone who wants to read it knows exactly where to find this stuff.
Left
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Norwegian wrote:Huseng,

If staff want a workable compromise:
Random bits of Dharma flooding a forum across many subforums is a pain.
Give the bot one thread into which all the posts must go, in the same way that Samahita's stuff hits Theravadan forums.
That way only the latest will appear in Recent Topics and anyone who wants to read it knows exactly where to find this stuff.
Second
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
emaho

Post by emaho »

Yep, I second Blue Garuda's suggestion, too.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Okay I'm running some ideas up the flagpole and seeing if there is any mod concensus on this one. I favour the poll idea myself. Stay tuned.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I am dealing with it. :techproblem:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”