Practicing martial arts?

/johnny\

Practicing martial arts?

Postby /johnny\ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Is it wrong in a Dharma sense?

Specifically what i do, is this wrong?:

I practice Shaolin sets that i learned in a peaceful environment with friends who are also buddhist.

I no longer take classes and now i just practice these sets alone, for energy, health, and mindfulness.

Astus
Former staff member

Re: Practicing martial arts?

Postby Astus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm

There is a thread on you may visit.

From the , the moral code of bodhisattvas in East Asian Buddhism, the 10th minor precept says,

10. On Storing Deadly Weapons

A disciple of the Buddha should not store weapons such as knives, clubs, bows, arrows, spears, axes or any other weapons, nor may he keep nets, traps or any such devices used in destroying life. (53)

As a disciple of the Buddha, he must not even avenge the death of his parents -- let alone kill sentient beings! (54) He should not store any weapons or devices that can be used to kill sentient beings. If he deliberately does so, he commits a secondary offense.

Regarding committing aggressive acts, see the 1st and 9th major precept.
Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Left

/johnny\

Postby /johnny\ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 pm

/johnny\

Postby /johnny\ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Meido

Postby Meido » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 am

Intention indeed.

It is quite a stretch to say that archaic disciplines from feudal cultures - using skills and tools that have been largely irrelevant to warfare for centuries (e.g. one's empty hands, sticks, swords) - are inherently vehicles of violence. If they are, then so is any sport or art with origins grounded in martial utility: modern Olympic fencing, wrestling, archery, javelin, shot put, the pommel horse and so on. As well as many dance forms which have martial roots.

Leaving aside the question of self-defense and when it is justified, we can say that these sports/arts are cultural artifacts whose practice is generally not undertaken with the intent of harming others. Yet that's what we're talking about much of the time when "martial arts" are brought up. Not to mention the fact that many martial arts openly state that their intent is not the subjugation of others, but rather the conquering of oneself.

People today who desire or have need to become proficient with deadly force undertake training of a type that is usually not the subject of discussion whenever "martial arts" are mentioned. Folks who have not done that sort of training may not always understand the difference.

In other words: practicing something like Kendo or Kyudo for one's own self-refinement, and keeping a bamboo sword or bow in one's home, is really just not a practice of violence and a storing of combat or hunting arms (i.e. objects whose purpose for being kept is to enable the owner to injure other living beings). Which to my mind is what the mentioned precepts seem designed to address.

~ Meido
Even though you have attained insight into the True Nature (kensho), there is yet the barrier of differentiation, and there is the One Path of Advanced Practice. If you have not yet even seen into the True Nature, what a lot there is yet to do! - Torei

Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org

/johnny\

Postby /johnny\ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:36 am

Astus
Former staff member

Postby Astus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am

The one I quoted is a minor precept and it is about storing weapons, it is not about their use, but the fact that one possesses such tools. That makes it clear how even the potential of aggression should be removed. Regarding the acts of any form of aggression, it is covered by the major precepts. The acts of anger by the ninth, acts of harming and killing by the very first.

If one wants to do training for fitness, there are many forms of sports. It is true that what matters is intention, so theoretically practising martial arts is no problem. Problem is, however, that as we easily identify with our body and acts have deep impact on our mentality, martial training generates a martial attitude. By learning defensive techniques you also learn to expect attack, you learn feeling insecure and afraid. Of course, if you can put that all down and maintain a peaceful and compassionate mind, there can be no problem. But then, why practice self defence?
Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

Fruitzilla

Postby Fruitzilla » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 am

Meido

Postby Meido » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Even though you have attained insight into the True Nature (kensho), there is yet the barrier of differentiation, and there is the One Path of Advanced Practice. If you have not yet even seen into the True Nature, what a lot there is yet to do! - Torei

Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org

Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Seishin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Although I've given up martial arts these days, I found Tai Chi, Aikido, Iaido & Capoeira to be less aggressive than football.
Sutras aside I think there are non-martial art sports out there that are just as or more so aggressive and dangerous. But there are also martial arts which to me seem to be violence for the sake of sport. If we are putting things into boxes and calling them "bad" or "non-buddhist" or whatever then a lot of other things should be thrown out with the bath water too.

As for weapons, I think it's clear what the sutra says and it's up to the individual to decide whether to own a weapon or not. What's the intention??

Gassho,
Seishin

/johnny\

Postby /johnny\ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:04 pm

rory

Postby rory » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:34 am

I practiced kendo in my 20's & being the hot tempered type found it very good for self-control and refinement. Additionally being small and female, my normal state was hyper-aware and anxious. We women constantly have to monitor where we are, is it too dark, late, lonely..etc. Finally I took a rape and assault self-defense course, the result being I feel calmer. I think any type of activity that teaches males mastery of their emotions and passions is a good thing.
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Wesley1982

Postby Wesley1982 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Martial Arts good for stretching & body flexibility discipline and exercise.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:10 pm

lobster

Postby lobster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Kaji

Postby Kaji » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 am

Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Zen”