very new to buddhism!

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
howtobemom

very new to buddhism!

Post by howtobemom »

Hi! I have been doing some basic searching nonlinear and I am slightly overwhelmed with all the new words. Where is a good placeto start? Ive been reading at viewonbuddhism.org and buddhanet.net. it is all very interesting and resonating very well with me and my family. Just looking for some texts or good starting off tips. Thanks guys!
Yudron

Re: very new to buddhism!

Post by Yudron »

Buddhism is a vast and varied as any other major religion, so it makes your question hard to answer. I found John Snelling's book: The Buddhist Handbook: A Complete Guide to Buddhist Teaching, Practice and History very useful when I got started in the 90's and it has been updated and is back in print. I liked it because it was an overview of all the schools of Buddhism in general. It helped me determine which kind of Buddhism I felt a connection to. I am not familiar with any website that does that accurately.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

howtobemom wrote:Hi! I have been doing some basic searching nonlinear and I am slightly overwhelmed with all the new words. Where is a good placeto start? Ive been reading at viewonbuddhism.org and buddhanet.net. it is all very interesting and resonating very well with me and my family. Just looking for some texts or good starting off tips. Thanks guys!
"What Makes You Not a Buddhist" By Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Yes I would agree that Dzongsar Kyentse's book is a good place to start.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Try watching my lama's video Introduction to Buddhism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Y7YVDIVa0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like this one too by Chief Abbott of Brickfields temple
"What Buddhists Believe"
http://books.google.com.my/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rose on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to commercial website removed

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”