YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"The Shadow Scholar" - Dhamma Wheel

"The Shadow Scholar"

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
SamKR

"The Shadow Scholar"

Postby SamKR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 am

Kim OHara

Re: "The Shadow Scholar"

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 am

Scared? Why?

If you want something to be scared about, try this:

:namaste:
Kim

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 am

I got scared, and then I read this:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-c ... god,19263/
and then I read this:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/anthro ... -la,19191/
And now everything makes perfect sense!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Humour as a defence against fear, Ben? Yes, it has been known to work.
But sometimes being scared is the smart response, although it can be difficult to know when to be scared and when to crack jokes.
:juggling:
Kim

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Kim,
Fear as a smart response?
Hmm... dunno about that one.

I guess what I was getting at is that perhaps we should take a grain of salt with some of the things we read.
And try and put things into perspective.
I don't mean to be dismissive to our fine posters, but I'm sure some of the people from Queensland and Christchurch would agree there are more important things to worry about.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 am

We pretty much assume that non-invigilated work is likely to have a percentage of cheating, so make sure that at low levels we have tests and final exams where it's quite difficult to cheat. Of course, there is always the possibility of cheating in anything.

Luckily I'm not in a field where we do a lot of essay stuff. Of course, our students write research theses and so on, but a competent supervisor will know the capabilities of the students.

:anjali:
Mike

zavk

Postby zavk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:53 am

Well.... I once graded an essay where the student cited 'echeat.com' in the bibliography! :rofl:

Like Mike I too feel that those common jibes about academia are somewhat overstated. I say this not simply because I'm (trying) to work in academia. I fully recognise that academia has its fair share of quirks. But the common stereotype of the 'ivory tower', or academics being 'out of touch' with reality, or academics 'only think about world' is a rather tired one which is becoming harder and harder to maintain in today's 'knowledge economy'. Universities around the world--well, at least to my knowledge, in the Anglophone world--are subject to a kind of business model which is forcing academia to engage with the public in innovative ways. This 'corporatisation' of the university has negative implications--but that's another story for another time.

Also, I work in a field of studies which recognises that critical or 'theoretical' thinking is not exclusive to so-called professional intellectuals. In fact, I very much like this notion of 'vernacular theory' (http://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/0149.htm). It is the view that everyday folks are capable of engaging in theoretical or philosophical thought. For example, in their day to day work nurses may develop certain ideas about healthcare. Some of these ideas may coincide or contrast with the 'theory' produced by academics or research institutions, but their vernacular theory would not typically be considered 'legitimate' theory. Nevertheless, they ARE engaging in a mode of critical thinking.

Other people like Star Trek fans discussing the science of the TV series, Harry Potter fans exchanging fan fiction, AND OF COURSE lay Buddhists debating complex texts and doctrines online---all these non-professional scholars are in fact engaging in a kind of activity that is very similar to professional scholars, but without institutional trappings and so forth. As far as I'm concerned, everyday folks are NO LESS capable of being critical than professional intellectuals.

This is why I do not care much for the notion widely perpetuated in forums and other public media that academics 'only think about things'. By the same token, I do not care much for academics who harbour the notion that everyday people are not really capable of thinking critically.

In this age of the knowledge economy, open source, wikipedia and so forth, these 'imagined' stereotypes are becoming increasingly meaningless. It's time to foster connections and relationships which are mutually respectful and supportive, I reckon.

OK sorry about the little rant.

:anjali: :smile: :group:
With metta,
zavk

eddante

Postby eddante » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 pm

"I don't see what students cheating on tests and exams has to do with "fakery in academia".

It's just simple dishonesty. "

I have to disagree with this sentiment. The widespread cheating which I have observed in my work as a custom paper writer suggests that there is nothing simple about America's broken educational system. I can't speak for other countries, but in the U.S., educational standards and performances have spiraled precipitously downward over the course of the decade that I have done this job. Our diminished literacy and math proficiency are not a result of cheating. Cheating is, instead, a symptom of a far greater sickness in our educational system. The emphasis on grading over learning; the high cost of education; the cultural pressures to attend college; the economic pressures of the post-graduate job-market; the diminishing economic value of the undergraduate degree . . .

These are just a few of the reasons that the quality of higher education in America is dragging. The idea that the failures of our system might be overstated is wishful thinking.

Ed Dante.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:17 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 pm

eddante

Postby eddante » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm

No wares are being peddled, only conversation. I have retired from the business of custom paper writing and have nothing financial to gain here. I think if you visit my site, you will find that it is not a commercial site at all but a discussion on the state of education. Feel free to block my input, but note that I have only come here to engage in a discussion that has been initiated by my article. If my input is not wanted here, I will not force it upon you. Thanks so much.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Ed,

In posting here you agreed to the Terms Of Service:

See the TOS : 6. Please don't come here just to peddle your wares
Links to commercial sites via member signatures are prohibited. Links to commercial sites are permissible only via the Website field in your user profile. Signature links, commercial or otherwise, may be reviewed for suitability by staff.

If you put it back your commercial link, it will be removed and you will be banned.

eddante

Postby eddante » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I understand now. I am new to blogging. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Ed.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:11 pm

eddante

Postby eddante » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Tiltbillings,
Thanks for following up. I appreciate that. You and your readers are also welcome to comment on my site if you have any thoughts to add on the broader conversation about cheating in academics, plagiarism, the quality of education, etc.

mikenz66,
We have a similar problem in the States actually. We court foreign students with the intention of drawing the best and brightest from around the world. Unfortunately, we don't provide many of them with the linguistic and cultural preparation required to perform adequately in several key areas. Composition is chief among them. As a result, many come to American schools and languish. Many of them have been my customers over the years.

Perhaps they are dishonest. Or perhaps they are products of a deeply flawed system. It's probably some measure of both. To suggest that only the former of these motives applies is to bury one's head in the ground. Moralizing the subject is not constructive. It provides no practical insight into why so many students cheat and thus offers us no hope to cure the problem.
Ed.

poto

Postby poto » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 pm

I see universities as an antiquated system. One that is derived from the medieval guild system, and is effectively more a means of subjugation than actual learning. I equate the apprentice > journeyman > master system, with today's bachelor > master > doctorate degrees. It is not a system that is designed to facilitate learning, nor does it work best with how humans actually learn things.

I am hopeful that more advanced computer interfaces will some day soon facilitate a faster, better and more complete system of learning. Direct brain interfaces could accomplish this, and maybe, hopefully that type of technology will be so disruptive that it will contribute to the death of the university system.

The problem isn't just with lazy cheating students. The system itself is bad. Until we develop a better system, these problems will persist.

Return to “Lounge”