Zen masters from Shaolin?

/johnny\

Zen masters from Shaolin?

Post by /johnny\ »

Or more appropriately Chan masters from shaolin. Were/are there many known? All i find when searching is martial arts masters. But it was a buddhist temple before a martial arts hub, and still today there are monks practicing Chan with martial arts as a secondary practice simply too keep healthy and aid in Chan practice (i think anyway).

Anyone know?
Virgo

Re: Zen masters from Shaolin?

Post by Virgo »

The Rza.

Kevin
/johnny\

Post by /johnny\ »

Last edited by /johnny\ on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Historically some Chan teachers didn't think so highly of Shaolin, thinking of it as problematic actually.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

No, you are mistaken!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a9AZKyQAUU

Kevin
/johnny\

Post by /johnny\ »

Huseng wrote:Historically some Chan teachers didn't think so highly of Shaolin, thinking of it as problematic actually.
okay but aside from what others thought of it, did any masters come from there?
/johnny\

Post by /johnny\ »

it was a joke.
/johnny\

Post by /johnny\ »

obviously the militant buddhist contradiction is problematic for many, but in history there were times where most of the fighting monks lived outside the temple in smaller shrines. i think the conclusion is that there were normal non-fighting monks living in the heart of the temple.

i'm guessing anything non martial arts related coming from shaolin has been drowned in the flood of kung fu stories and masters.

oh well.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Xueting Fuyu (1203-1275) established in Shaolin both its martial side and the Caodong lineage, and even today in China the Caodong lineage comes through him.

Zhanran Yuancheng (1561-1626), revived the Caodong lineage in the Ming dynasty, and his master, Cizhou Fangnian (?-1594), was from Shaolin.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
/johnny\

Post by /johnny\ »

Astus wrote:Xueting Fuyu (1203-1275) established in Shaolin both its martial side and the Caodong lineage, and even today in China the Caodong lineage comes through him.

Zhanran Yuancheng (1561-1626), revived the Caodong lineage in the Ming dynasty, and his master, Cizhou Fangnian (?-1594), was from Shaolin.

i'm confused. i read a book on the history of shaolin and it said they were practicing martial arts long before the 13th century. there is a stele dating from the tang dynasty (618-907 AD, or thereabouts, i read it awhile ago) that talks about their fighting abilities in assisting the emperor in a military conflict. in fact it seems that some of the earliest members of shaolin temple were martial artists.

anyway, that aside. thanks for the names! i'll look them up. so i think shaolin at first was agama buddhist mostly, founded by a dhyana master, then at some point it picked up chan, and i guess later caodong specifically? interesting!

thank you very much for the great info!

Return to “Zen”