YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Our Zen Friends. - Dhamma Wheel

Our Zen Friends.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PeterB

Our Zen Friends.

Postby PeterB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:18 pm

I have just read a thread on Zen Forum International which made me cheer.,

Its posted by the estimable Ven Nonin, who is a real Dharma/Dhamma teacher and good guy, and quotes from an old article by Gary Ray.

Its called " Zen In Online Forums" and gets a big Sadhu ! from me.

:anjali:

NB If this is not kosher mods, please remove.

tiltbillings

Re: Our Zen Friends.

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:31 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Of course this article is found online, having been picked up by a couple questionable outfits, but that does not negate the point made. Now, without getting nasty or personal, is there a point in that article to be made here?

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:55 pm

In another thread I mentioned an acquaintance I used to have in college. Very well read, very intelligent, very interested in philosophy of all kinds and very interested in Buddhism. In class, he would enthusiastically go off on very long tangents with 20 dollar words which sounded brilliant, but if you analyzed it, hardly made sense. Somehow he would always manage to bring his streams of logorhea back into the real world to be insulting or to annoy someone.......all to his childish delight. When people complained about it he would give some sort of contrived descriptions of Asian folklore about spiritual masters who despite being enlightened would act like crassholes and who would do it for their benefit. The implication being that he was the master and you, having just gotten a philosophical wedgie, had a favor done for you. He was an attention whore, he knew everyone, he loved to talk, but had hardly any friends beyond people who would party with him as it was just a matter of time before he would piss anyone off and twist it into a victory in his mind.

This was in the 1990s, about the same time period the article was referring too. He also haunted talk.religion.buddhism, alt.zen, a few other Usenet groups of the time and several listservs of the time.

About a year or two ago I ran into him on Facebook. He still lives in my area and he still seems to be playing similar games and wasting his life in similar ways. I feel sad for him.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Interesting article. I too had grown up only hearing the term "Zen" and as in the article it sounded funny to me when I first heard the term "Zen Buddhism". I never knew that Zen was Buddhism, just a term for referring to either processing information nonverbally or having happy coincidences coming together.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

plwk

Postby plwk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 am

Euclid

Postby Euclid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 am

Great article that describes my inter-Tradition frustration on an online forum very well. Thanks for sharing

ground

Postby ground » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:51 am

Strange

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:53 pm

The bookstore I frequent used to have separate sections for "Buddhism" and "Zen" -- quite strange. Eventually they combined them!

Although I agree that Zen shouldn't be artificially extracted from Buddhism, and I agree that more emphasis should be placed on ethics, I wonder if the root problem with online Zen has to do with incompatibility between the practice and the medium. Online forums are basically vehicles for discursive speech -- analysis, explication, argument, the dialectic of views. It seems to me that those traditions which welcome such modes of discourse are more likely to thrive. Maybe that's why Theravada forums seem to have more energy?

By contrast, if one's practice is mainly devotional, what is there to say really on a discussion board? Or if, as in Zen, one sees discursive speech as a hindrance to practice, then it's hard to know how to proceed. Perhaps virtual meditation (or chanting) halls, long-distance instruction, ceremonies transmitted online and discussions focused on practical stuff (how to get into lotus position, etc) would be more beneficial for these traditions. I know Rev. Jundo has experimented along such lines over at Treeleaf.

Personally, I show up on Zen boards mainly to see what Ven. Huifeng has to say, and he's been rather quiet recently!

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 am

Personally I pop into ZFI only to see what Ven Nonin and Shonin and So- On have to say.

Otherwise its like wading through treacle.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I posted the article to alt.zen, but I forgot to put in who posted it. I got a serious, non-nasty reply that whoever wrote the article must have been a novice Zen Buddhism practitioner to have the view about attachment to emptiness.

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I dig Ven. Nonin. He's got a nice article on interdependence here:

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:14 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm

alan

Postby alan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:49 am

I was infatuated by Zen for awhile, but gave it up when I found something much better. Coming to an understanding of the suttas and their implications keeps me occupied and intellectually challenged as it is...
Sure, the article was fairly interesting. But I've left that stuff behind. I don't call my high school sweetheart. Why should I spend time reading about Zen?

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:35 am

Actually the idea was not to encourage anyone to read Zen. It was to send a signal to Ven Nonin, So-On, Shonin and the Zen BUDDHISTS on Zen Forum International that their efforts to steer that forum away from kundalini yoga, ascended masters, Jungian analysis, a preoccupation with other peoples sexuality, solipsism, blue rinse brigade oriental dabblings, etc etc etc are noted and applauded... :clap:

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:15 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

I think Shikantaza when seen free of Mahayana baggage about "vows" ...may be not- different to Vipassana.
But its a pity to say so.

ground

Postby ground » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”