YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhist lawyer-to-be! - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhist lawyer-to-be!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
legallybuddhist

Buddhist lawyer-to-be!

Postby legallybuddhist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm a Buddhist Trainee Solicitor in the UK.

I've been lurking for a while and found some very interesting discussions on here! Once I have the confidence and tiny bit of decent knowledge I might be able to start getting involved!

I'm trying to get in contact with other Buddhist legal practitioners in the UK - we seem to be a rare breed! If you are or know anyone (law student, paralegal, trainee, solicitor, barrister, ILEX etc) can you please PM me?

I'm trying to get some sort of network or discussion going about integration of the dhamma into legal practice, and perspectives on the law from a Buddhist/Buddhist ethics perspective. Indeed there can even be scope for discussion as to whether practicing law is "Right Livelihood".

I'll be posting a modified version of this thread in an appropriate forum if that's ok.

With metta,

LB

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Buddhist lawyer-to-be!

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Greetings LB,

Can't help you with your network, but welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

bodom

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Welcome LB!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 am

Welcome to the forum!

Re: "discussion as to whether practicing law is Right Livelihood" -- I'm of the opinion that it can be a very worthwhile form of Right Livelihood, because so many seek to manipulate the law for "wrong" reasons that can be very damaging to innocent people, and so few of us understand the law enough to counter them. I have tremendous respect for those who practice law with integrity and noble ambitions and wish you all the best in that.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

zavk

Postby zavk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 am

Hello and welcome.
With metta,
zavk

Return to “Introductions”