Did you pay anything for your refuge precepts?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Postby Indrajala » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:28 pm

This might sound like an odd question, but I'd like to hear from everyone.

My Chinese friend told me it costs 50 RMB (about the cost of a book) to get refuge precepts at the temple near her place in Guangzhou. They issue a certificate.

I never was asked for any money when I received my precepts and there was paperwork.

I personally think refuge precepts should not have any fee at all attached to them, but then the reality is I guess in some places there are fees for such ceremonies. I think most people will happily give a donation in any case.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Re: Did you pay anything for your refuge precepts?

Postby MJH » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Nope.... I was never asked to pay anything.
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos
MJH

Postby BFS » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Nope.

I am always grateful for the opportunity to give, but no, I never had to pay for my refuge precepts.
BFS

Postby Will » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 pm

I was not asked before, but afterward an older disciple of Master Hua mentioned it was traditional to make a grateful offering to the refuge Master. Since I was very grateful - I did put some money into a red envelope.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby kirtu » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Huseng wrote:Did you pay anything for your refuge precepts?

No but as you and Will note offerings are traditionally made.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby mudra » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:51 am

Never paid - but have made offerings.
Never got a certificate - but don't need one.
mudra

Postby DharmaKitty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

No, didn't have to pay, but did voluntarily make a donation and a gift to the teacher!
The essence of a real practice is to bring our intellectual understanding to the level of our heart - so as to feel it - to live it!
DharmaKitty

Postby dave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 am

I was never asked to pay a fee, or to donate something.
But I was communicated figuratively speaking to pay back in another way.
And this was much more endeavour, people are able to earn, count and donate money.

Dave
dave

Postby uslic001 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 pm

I made a voluntary donation. No certificate was given but I was given a small book on refuge and a piece of paper with my refuge name on it.
uslic001

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 am

I didn't pay, per say, but I gave dana.
Of course the Geshe had no idea how much was offered.

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby chokyi lodro » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Is it traditional to make a monetary offering also in the West, e.g. in the UK?

I will be taking refuge soon, and do not want to offend. (You know, some things in some culture are considered rude not to do, some things are considered rude to do...)
~ Chökyi Lodrö
chokyi lodro

Postby zerwe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:21 pm

NO, I did not pay, but made a offering.
Shaun :namaste:
zerwe

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 pm

It cost me my soul.

But seriously, I was not required to pay when I took precepts. I remember making an offering though.
dharmagoat

Postby viniketa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 pm

markadm wrote:Is it traditional to make a monetary offering also in the West, e.g. in the UK?

I will be taking refuge soon, and do not want to offend. (You know, some things in some culture are considered rude not to do, some things are considered rude to do...)

In the West, it is also traditional to give "dana" (donation, offering) for any teachings, precepts included.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Postby conebeckham » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 pm

dharmagoat wrote:

It cost me my soul.

Well, what a bargain, then..as that means it was a freebie!
:tongue:

But seriously, I was not required to pay when I took precepts. I remember making an offering though.

First time through, in Zen tradition, no payment was made--except for the tuition (it was college-sponsored program, and taking refuge, voluntary, was included in the program--a one-month Zen sesshin, decades ago...)

Second time, in Tibetan tradition, it was prior to an empowerment, and so admission was charged, and I paid. Refuge vows were given prior to the empowerment being bestowed, as is customary, and I got a little booklet with a name, and short refuge vow recitation.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby ReasonAndRhyme » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Didn't pay anything, didn't even give a donation, since I had no idea that this was the traditional thing to do. Nobody expected it of me and nobody was disappointed with me not giving money. Money just wasn't a topic in this context.

My teacher Chhimed Rigdzin Rinpoche didn't give refuge names and on some occasions he said if he'd cut his students' hair he'd charge the same amount of money as a local hairdresser would :jumping:
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge
ReasonAndRhyme

Postby greentreee » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 pm

As far as i can remember, i didn't have to specifically pay for refuge precepts. On the other hand, the events i attended required one to pay. The first one being an introduction to Mahamudra retreat in 2000, which i didn't stay for the whole thing (that's another story for another day). And the second being the Kalachakra Empowerment event that was held in Toronto Canada, back in 2004, however, i only attended as an observer, not as someone involved as a recipient of the empowerment. The Kalachakra event was quite expensive and after it had been announced that they had made a profit from the event, those who may have had difficulty in paying for attending could have gotten some money back. I didn't bother with that since my parents had paid for me to go.
scratching thick hair'd head,
"if air can be conditioned,
like where's the shampoo?"

"greentreee"
greentreee

Postby Metallica » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:10 am

I am just wondering why isn't anyone on here saying anything to Huseng? There must be a single good Dharma Friend that he trust that can notify him of the dangerous state of mind he is in? It's not the first time someone who only focuses on knowledge and philsophy who has turned onto the path of slandering the Dharma.

Huseng, have you been reading what you have written? It seems all your posts are focusing on slandering Monastics, precepts and Buddhist traditions in general. Isn't Buddhism about trying to turn our thinking positive, be tolerant and most importantly, understand yourself first?

As a practitioner, I have gained immense benefit from traditional practices, and giving to Buddhist organisations in general have made me more generous toward other charity causes as well.

If you have taken refuge with the Triple Gem in your mind. Why are you so negative toward refuge taking ceremonies that are making so many people feel better? Surly to take refuge with your mind you have to do something physical first? Is the Dharma so cheap for you that you can't spare a few cents for the taking refuge?

Sure the Dharma is the truth that should be free. But if someone is finacially able, should they make a contribution to make merit and also feel "value" to what they've done?

AVICI HELL is ENDLESS! Of course it's a very wholesome Cause to want to learn the Dharma, but if you refuse to cultivate merit and only focus on knowledge alone, you WILL turn very arrogant, negative and self-centred. Then your wholesome cause will turned to retribution of immense suffering.

By the way, my refuge and precept were free, not only did I get a certificate, I also got a free wrist mala, a free charm, and two books by our organisation's founding Master.

Would have gladly paid for them, as I have already donated over $2000 by this date. Sure beats giving that money to Bars and pubs under the pretense of "helping my friend having a few drinks."
Metallica

Postby catmoon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:43 am

Metallica wrote:I am just wondering why isn't anyone on here saying anything to Huseng? There must be a single good Dharma Friend that he trust that can notify him of the dangerous state of mind he is in? It's not the first time someone who only focuses on knowledge and philsophy who has turned onto the path of slandering the Dharma.

As one who has had sharp differences with Huseng perhaps my opinion will carry some weight here. First off, I see no evidence that he has slandered the Dharma, certainly not in this thread. Second off, he has an undeniably acute mind, substantial education, and extensive first-hand experience of Buddhism as currently practiced in Asia.

This does not mean he is invariably correct. However, like many of the mod team, myself included, he does post like any other user and advances his views. I have never seen him use his position as a moderator to supress opposition to his views.

So. If you really think he is slandering the Dharma, which is a pretty severe accusation by the way, give some thought to where and how you express this. Such a severe accusation requires conclusive documentation and I think you will find Huseng's "offenses against the Dharma" are far less than a number of longtime posters here, again myself included.

Beefs against the mods have a place, but one thing I am sure of is that they do not belong in threads on completely other topics. Such complaints would, I think, properly be directed to Mr. Snyder, who owns the board. So please do not continue along these lines here.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby muni » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 am

We cannot come together this night in our dreams, in same way it is our conceptual mind which is creating its' world, is that not so?

:smile:

No, I got a name.

Also a warm meal and hot tea and great kindness. :bow:
muni

Next

Return to Open Dharma