Precious Vase Book

Blue Garuda

Precious Vase Book

Post by Blue Garuda »

The book seems to cover Lojong, Rushen and Semdzin but does it contain guidance on the actual practices themselves?

I have a pdf of the list. The shop isn't 'crystal' clear (pardon the pun). :)

If sensitive, replies by PM will be welcomed. :)
Left
Arnoud

Re: Precious Vase Book

Post by Arnoud »

The actual guidance is not very elaborate. Not bad but the book on the 21 Semdzins and the one on the Rushan, Lojong and Semdzins are more detailed. That said, the Precious Vase is a great book and definitely worth buying and reading.
I just hope to one day learn how to do the Kumbhaka according to Rinpoche's system, which is the only Semdzin in the Precious Vase that needs to be learned from a teacher in person.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Clarence wrote:The actual guidance is not very elaborate. Not bad but the book on the 21 Semdzins and the one on the Rushan, Lojong and Semdzins are more detailed. That said, the Precious Vase is a great book and definitely worth buying and reading.
I just hope to one day learn how to do the Kumbhaka according to Rinpoche's system, which is the only Semdzin in the Precious Vase that needs to be learned from a teacher in person.
Thanks.:) Added to my SSI shop 'wish list' :)
Left
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

You are very welcome. :smile:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Clarence wrote:The actual guidance is not very elaborate. Not bad but the book on the 21 Semdzins and the one on the Rushan, Lojong and Semdzins are more detailed.
Their instructions are also a bit different. It appears that Precious Vase is the authoritative text here, not the earlier publications. That's what I think I've been given to understand by an SMS instructor, in any case. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:Their instructions are also a bit different. It appears that Precious Vase is the authoritative text here, not the earlier publications. That's what I think I've been given to understand by an SMS instructor, in any case. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Either book is fine. You will get results if you follow the instructions. Although it is an advantage to clarify any doubts about postures or anything with a more experienced practitioner.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Downloaded. :)
Left
krodha

Post by krodha »

It may just be my Precious Vase PDF version, but I also have the actual book and when I compare the PDF with the book the PDF seems to have alot of pages omitted. When I first got the PDF I uploaded it on my phone and went to a SMS meeting figuring I was all set just to read along with my phone but the pages being discussed were missing. Whole sections missing. Is this the case for all the PDFs? Just in case someone leaks them online? Or is my PDF copy just defective?
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

asunthatneversets wrote:It may just be my Precious Vase PDF version, but I also have the actual book and when I compare the PDF with the book the PDF seems to have alot of pages omitted. When I first got the PDF I uploaded it on my phone and went to a SMS meeting figuring I was all set just to read along with my phone but the pages being discussed were missing. Whole sections missing. Is this the case for all the PDFs? Just in case someone leaks them online? Or is my PDF copy just defective?
I checked and mine are complete. However, there are problems in moving from page to page which sometimes seems to 'skip' pages. There is also a discrepancy between page numbers - if you go to page 45 of the pdf you get page 43 of the book - a very basic error easily corrected.

I wish they allowed 'cut and paste' though, as I like to compile my own documents. The protection is pretty crude and these days the paper books can be scanned or OCR used to create files so I'm not sure why they do it. After all, you agree to the conditions of confidentiality etc., just as you would if receiving an empowerment. However, what is very good to see is that so far I've not performed an internet search on a topic or practice which has thrown up an unprotected document, so maybe it is effective after all - or DC folk are especially honest . ;)
Left

Return to “Dzogchen”