Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: China, Buddhism & Mammon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am
Posts: 2776
Image
The standing guy represents the state authorities cashing in on Buddhism...

Quote:
A battle between Buddha and Mammon is shaping up in China...
Some insights here & here

_________________
TWTB BIES OCB DDM BWF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Posts: 1270
Location: Gone Bush
Who's the fat guy?

_________________
May all beings be happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
A few generations ago Taixu (1890-1947) was advocating that Buddhist institutions could become financially independent and not reliant on traditional forms of income (various rituals for laity, donations, farm rents, etc...) by establishing profitable though morally acceptable business ventures that would be operated by reliable and honest lay members, not the monastics.

I gather this was in response to industrialization and new commercial enterprises in China based on western models.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Posts: 682
Location: Canada
Mammon has won in both of those cases. In few years the "Buddhism" they teach will be unrecognizable.

Did any of these monks say maybe we don't have to be bigger and make more profits? That is not why you became monks. It was not a path to success that you measure by how many Yuan are in your begging bowl. Capitalism is a revolutionary force that devours everything if you haven't noticed. Ironic that the Chinese don't understand Communism at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Nemo wrote:
Mammon has won in both of those cases. In few years the "Buddhism" they teach will be unrecognizable.

Did any of these monks say maybe we don't have to be bigger and make more profits? That is not why you became monks. It was not a path to success that you measure by how many Yuan are in your begging bowl. Capitalism is a revolutionary force that devours everything if you haven't noticed.


The Shaolin franchise will perhaps emerge with action figures, t-shirts and exclusive MMORPGs.

In many ways Buddhism has already been commodified.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
Huseng wrote:
Nemo wrote:
Mammon has won in both of those cases. In few years the "Buddhism" they teach will be unrecognizable.

Did any of these monks say maybe we don't have to be bigger and make more profits? That is not why you became monks. It was not a path to success that you measure by how many Yuan are in your begging bowl. Capitalism is a revolutionary force that devours everything if you haven't noticed.


The Shaolin franchise will perhaps emerge with action figures, t-shirts and exclusive MMORPGs.

In many ways Buddhism has already been commodified.


Yup. The other I ran into a bottle of this:

Image

Lucky Buddha Beer is here.

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Posts: 1270
Location: Gone Bush
catmoon wrote:
Lucky Buddha Beer is here.

No silly, that's Hotei beer.

Buddha beer is the one with the skinny Indian on the bottle.

While the West confuses images of Hotei with those of the Buddha, it is only the name of the Buddha that can be exploited.

_________________
May all beings be happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Posts: 545
Location: Los Angeles, CA
dharmagoat wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Lucky Buddha Beer is here.

No silly, that's Hotei beer.

Buddha beer is the one with the skinny Indian on the bottle.

While the West confuses images of Hotei with those of the Buddha, it is only the name of the Buddha that can be exploited.

Actually, they use this image to represent Maitreya. It's only westerners that know a couple things about Buddhism that find objection with this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:09 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
dharmagoat wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Lucky Buddha Beer is here.

No silly, that's Hotei beer.

Buddha beer is the one with the skinny Indian on the bottle.

While the West confuses images of Hotei with those of the Buddha, it is only the name of the Buddha that can be exploited.


No thats actually the name of the beer - Lucky Buddha. Tho why a Buddha would need luck sorta beats me.

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Posts: 1270
Location: Gone Bush
tomamundsen wrote:
Actually, they use this image to represent Maitreya. It's only westerners that know a couple things about Buddhism that find objection with this.

It turns out that the couple of things I know about Buddhism don't include the fact that Hotei is a representation of Maitreya. So Hotei as Maitreya is a buddha, but not the Buddha, and is therefore a "lucky buddha" after all.

catmoon wrote:
No thats actually the name of the beer - Lucky Buddha. Tho why a Buddha would need luck sorta beats me.

And here was I thinking that you were using an adjective in place of an adverb, just like the young folk do a lot these days. Deary me, where's me specs...

I would say he lucked out if he never wanted his image used to sell beer. If that were so, then it is false advertising.

_________________
May all beings be happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Posts: 545
Location: Los Angeles, CA
catmoon wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Lucky Buddha Beer is here.

No silly, that's Hotei beer.

Buddha beer is the one with the skinny Indian on the bottle.

While the West confuses images of Hotei with those of the Buddha, it is only the name of the Buddha that can be exploited.


No thats actually the name of the beer - Lucky Buddha. Tho why a Buddha would need luck sorta beats me.

Because a lot of Buddhism in China is "farmer Buddhism" and all people want is his good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group