Chanting Book (Evening, Meals, 88 Buddha Repent, Amitabha)

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Huifeng

Chanting Book (Evening, Meals, 88 Buddha Repent, Amitabha)

Post by Huifeng »

Hi all,

Latest little liturgy update on my Prajñācāra Blog, <Small Chanting Book>.
SMALL CHANTING BOOK:
Chanting Book (Evening, Meals, 88 Buddha Repent, Amitabha) Short.pdf

Just recently compiled for the 2012 Humanistic Buddhism Monastic Life Program, aka the "Woodenfish", this Chanting Book contains the original Chinese, Hanyu Pinyin and English translation for the following common Chinese Buddhist liturgies:

1. The Heart Sutra (which we use as our standard evening chanting)
2. Meal time offerings (breakfast and lunch)
3. The Amitabha Sutra (standard Pure Land service)
4. The Eighty Eight Buddha's Repentance

Some of these have appeared on my Blog independently, so there may be some duplication. Still, hopefully this latest file should be useful for some of you out there! Enjoy!

~~ Huifeng
Thanks to Ven. Hengshou Dharmamitra for permission to use his Amitabha Sutra, other sources cited within.

And yes, if you are wondering, one day I will get around to putting this all together into a single and comprehensive "Daily Liturgy" style book (a la 禪門日誦). Bit by bit. :smile:

~~ Huifeng
plwk

Re: Chanting Book (Evening, Meals, 88 Buddha Repent, Amitabha)

Post by plwk »

A mi tuo fo Fa Shi!

Thanks for the link.
By any chance, does Fa Shi know anything on a second version that comes with additional verses and bowing specifications of the 88 Buddhas Repentance as compared to the one used in standard Ch'an liturgy?
Could this be an adapted version for the Chinese speaking audience in Vajrayana?
My first encounter with this second version was when I bought a Morning/Evening liturgical chanting CD by this group some years back.

A mi tuo fo Fa Shi!
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Actually, the practice of the 88 Buddha Repentance with the bowing instructions as in the link is the standard way to do the practice in Korean Buddhism, and the number of bows totals 108, thus it is more commonly known as the 108 Bow Great Repentance in Korea. However, the additional verses beyond the standard liturgy are not in the Korean practice either.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

This is a great share! Thanks, Huifeng!
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”