Sand Mandala of Sadag Nyelam

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Healing the Earth

By Geshe Chaphur
Geshe Chapur.jpg
Geshe Chapur.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 4803 times

Mandala (Kyil Khor in Tibetan) means an abode or dwelling place. According to Bon tradition there are many different categories of Mandalas. This particular Mandala is called Sadag Nyelam Mandala. The Sadhag Nyelam Mandalas represents the world of Earth-owning spirits, spirits of water bodies, spirits of trees, and the spirits of rocks and boulder.

These four different spirits are the most powerful beings on this earthly realm because they are endowed with potent magical powers. Good things and bad things happen depending on the moods of these spirits. Even the wellbeing of an ordinary person depends on the disposition of these spirits. Accordingly it is beneficial for us to treat those spirits gentleness and respect. The Shrine Trinity security and stability of this earth depend on these spirits. Natural disasters are caused by discontented spirits.

Sadhag are the earth-owning spirits and they dwell in earth. When earth is destroyed, dug, or dirtied, it disturbs the earth-owning spirits who in turn affect the material or physical wellbeing of individuals who cause the disturbance. Lives of these people could also be in danger. Earthquake is result of displeased earth-owning spirits. In short, if one wants to live on earth and make use of it one should live in harmony with the earth-owning spirits. If, on the other hand, you abuse earth, it angers the spirits of earth and causes misfortune to not only the agent of abuse but also to those who are close to him or her. Even when building sacred abodes like temples and monasteries, we should ask permission from these spirits through proper rituals and invocations. Sadhag Nyelam Mandala and rituals associated with it are particularly good for protection against earthquakes. The individual who appeases the earth-owning spirits benefits in ways of material and physical comfort.

Lu are the spirits who dwell in water bodies. These water-owning spirits come in three different forms, white, black and mixed colors. The white type exhibits love and compassion and aids people in the worldly endeavors. The black type causes harm and brings diseases and misfortune. The mixed color type brings both good and bad. These spirits dwell in bodies of water such as ocean, springs facing north, and springs that never freeze. But there are some water-owning spirits who also live among boulders, rocks, and trees. The water-owning spirits have power to affect the physical and material as well as mental wellbeing of people.
Physical appearance of individual is also believed to be influenced by water- owning spirits. People who have the white water-owning spirits near their houses are positively affected by these spirits and hence tend be gifted with pleasing physical appearances. These people are also protected from illnesses tend to be successful in their endeavors.

The right seasons to call upon the water-owning spirits is spring and summer because in the cold weathers they retreat. These spirits are attracted to cleanliness and hygienic habits and are upset by lack of hygienic habits and desecration of their abodes. When they are displeased, these spirits cause ill health. In particular, health of the joints and limbs are adversely affected and cause phlegm related illnesses.

Nyen are the plant-owning spirits that dwell among plants but in particular near old trees that grow by themselves. The best preferred abodes are trees that have appearances of snakes or heads. Cutting trees, especially trees that grow near springs, should be avoided because these are preferred abodes of the tree-owning spirits.

Tod is the spirit of the boulders and rocks. When big rocks need to be broken we have to ask permission from these spirits because if these rocks happen to be dwelling places of Tod spirits they will cause us harm. In particular, f the boulder or rock stands by itself, or if it has unusual formation such that of a head, Tod spirits are most likely to reside there.

It is important not to disturb the four dwelling places of these four different spirits. But in case you have to disturb them to build houses, you have to appease them by saying the necessarily ritual invocations to ask their permission.

Due to improper use of our environment we are forced to witness strange weather phenomena like tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes, and forest fires of unheard of magnitude. There are many new diseases that didn’t exist in the past. All these are caused by the four spirits whose abodes are disturbed by our hands. The water bodies, the mountains, and the forests are the ornaments of these sprits and when we destroy these ornaments it upsets the spirits.

To avoid friction between humans and these powerful spirits and for them all to live in harmony, Tonpa Sherab taught his followers Sadak Nyelam Dezhi and created the SadakNyelam Mandala. Wherever these teachings are followed and rituals practiced, there the place is blessed with balance in the elements. The crops are abundant in such places and the people of the area are devoid of diseases.
The best meditation is no meditation
Blue Garuda

Re: Sand Mandala of Sadag Nyelam

Post by Blue Garuda »

Is the whole post a quote?

A post should have your own words, especially if you paste things into the first post in a thread without introducing it.

Does the thread have a point?
Left
kalden yungdrung

Blue Garuda wrote:Is the whole post a quote?

A post should have your own words, especially if you paste things into the first post in a thread without introducing it.

Does the thread have a point?

Tashi delek,

Thanks for your reply.

I realy don' t know what would be the meaning of your statement. :o
Like you see is this post done by Geshela Chapur and deals with the nature spirits. Like we know are the humans destroying their planet little by little. This results in the bad contra behaviour of the spirits.

But you are clever enough to conclude this also, i guess if you read the text or is it not like that?

This post does not have my own words, should it realy have? The master's words are more than clear enough.....
The tread has a point namely Bon culture in a Bon sub-forum. :)

But if you have something to add on the story like your personal experiences with the destruction of our planet by polution etc. then this would be an enrichment to the existing story of Geshela Chapur. :applause:

Hope this helps

Mutsug Marro
KY
username

Post by username »

Sadaks are very important in Tibetan Buddhism rituals too, consecrations and many other activities and even historic events. There is not much about them in English as westerners are not as keen on the importance of the sub-categories of 8 classes as Tibetans. But as a lama says: just because you dismiss or disbelieve them it does not stop them affecting your life. Sadaks of various domain size are actually more relevant than gyalpos mamos yakshas yamas tsenmos rakshas nagas and various worldly dakinis to most places and hence people. Thanks to our Dzogchen brother Kalden Yungdrung for his wonderful posts.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

So how can we use this in our lives? Obviously we cannot stop the wholesale degeneration of even out local environment (except for our house/condo at least superficially). We can also clear up our environment a bit. But we can't create the mandala itself and place it out in the environment or in most cases we can't create a little temple to hold the mandala. We might be able to do that in a community temple though.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Do bonpos create sand mandalas with their mandala set? Otherwise how does the picture have relevance and how is it relevant to the text - there is no context, just a quote.

Nothing wrong with the quote but in the past posts which only contain a quote rather than content from a member have been deleted as the point of them is not clear.

Just trying to be helpful. ;)

ToS:

''6. When quoting authors or texts please cite a source.

We don't want to accidentally plagiarize other peoples' work. Please provide a website address when applicable if your information is taken from a website. Do not simply copy and paste an entire article. It is best to copy and paste only a few sentences that are appropriate and then discuss how it is important and cite the source. You may use any text or images that are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted or if they are in the public domain, especially those items which are freely given, such as those at most Dharma websites and are used here for non-commercial purposes as all information here is non-commercial and ad free.''
Left
username

Post by username »

kalden yungdrung wrote:Healing the Earth

By Geshe Chaphur
BTW Chaphur or Shapur is also a Tajik(Tazig)/Persian/Afghan name too. I came across this Geshe a few months ago on the web by accident and seems a nice lama. Thanks again as usual to our Dzogchen brother Kalden Yungdrung. :namaste:
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
kalden yungdrung

kirtu wrote:So how can we use this in our lives? Obviously we cannot stop the wholesale degeneration of even out local environment (except for our house/condo at least superficially). We can also clear up our environment a bit. But we can't create the mandala itself and place it out in the environment or in most cases we can't create a little temple to hold the mandala. We might be able to do that in a community temple though.

Kirt

Tashi delek,
Geshela Chapur wrote:
Sadhag Nyelam Mandala and rituals associated with it are particularly good for protection against earthquakes. The individual who appeases the earth-owning spirits benefits in ways of material and physical comfort.
Well it are the rituals which can be done to satisfy these harmfull forces.
Here is meant the Sangchod and Surchod which can be practiced to satisfy these harmful spirits or the 8 classes called, Lha srin sde brgyad.
If we do Sangchod that is simultaneously an offering but also a purification.

If we walk in the woods, mountains etc. we can meet these spirits if the nature is there in harmony or not disturbed. If the nature is disturbed they are on the run and take revange on the disturbers.

I was living once at my elders home where there was beneath the ground a coal mine. the house was built exactly on the shaft. This house was cursed by these kind of spirits. I did see them when i was a child but thought they were humans. The house and persons were not happy at all. It was a hammerhouse of horror.

A friend of mine was living in a house were in his garden were cut some 20 huge trees. This house was also visited by the harmfull spirits, which are in fact not so harmfull if they are respected and leaving in peace in their homes, the trees. This person went mad and is at the moment treated in a clinic.

So what to do ? That is to do the ritual or ask them polite for permission if we rob or take their homes. I burn on a regular base incense in the woods where i am walking to the there existing / living spirits and i feel then much more comfortable and in contatc with these very powerfull beings.
Also the burning of a certain kind of juniperus is done by me at sun set in the woods where i am going through. I have so the feeling that some of them are very old and they are worldwide the same whereas in Tibet or in Europe.

By the way i am looking for the photo of the Mandala. With the mandala in mind and the offering it can be done.

Mutsug Marro
KY
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

username wrote: BTW Chaphur or Shapur is also a Tajik(Tazig)/Persian/Afghan name too.
Possibly, however this is not the case here. His name is a clanic name spelt Bya-phur or Bya-'phur. It's a family lineage quite famous in the Nga-ba district with sNang-zhig dgon as its main religious site. The Bya-phur family is associated with the Songpan county (Zung-chu), south of the sNang zhig dgon site.
I came across this Geshe a few months ago on the web by accident and seems a nice lama.
He is a nephew of Samten Karmay and was for years the main assistant of Menri Lopön (Trinley Nyima Rinpoche) during his touring in the West, succeeding the prior assistant Tenzin Gyeltsen from the famed Yangtön family.
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

Below the related Mandala / dKyil 'khor named:
Nye lam snge bzhi' i ' khor

Nyelam.jpg
Nyelam.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 4672 times

Mutsug Marro
KY
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

mutsuk wrote: He is a nephew of Samten Karmay and was for years the main assistant of Menri Lopön (Trinley Nyima Rinpoche) during his touring in the West, succeeding the prior assistant Tenzin Gyeltsen from the famed Yangtön family.
I forgot to mention that, despite his young age, he has been the head of the philosophy school in Menri (Dolanji) as well as one of the editors of the Bon-sgo journal. His knowledge and intelligence are obvious and praised by his own masters. I remember that Menri Lopön formulated privately great praises of his young student.
Last edited by mutsuk on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek,

Nyelam.jpg

Mutsug Marro
KY

That's better! :)

Your thread was titled 'Sand Mandala' ........ so it would have been better to post this picture first, explain about the Sand Mandala and the Sangchod and THEN give a brief quotation and link. That way the quotation has a context and a link to your title. ;)

It is better to offer Sangchod and Serkyem than try to boss these spirits about, for sure. :)
Left
kalden yungdrung

Blue Garuda wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek,

Nyelam.jpg

Mutsug Marro
KY

That's better! :)

Your thread was titled 'Sand Mandala' ........ so it would have been better to post this picture first, explain about the Sand Mandala and the Sangchod and THEN give a brief quotation and link. That way the quotation has a context and a link to your title. ;)

It is better to offer Sangchod and Serkyem than try to boss these spirits about, for sure. :)

Tashi delek,

Dear Blue Garuda.

Many thanks for your good meant advices. :D
But i do it my way, but nevertheless thanks for your good and well meant advices.

Everybody has so his / her way of working and following order, i guess so.......... :jumping:

Mutsog Marro
KY
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Tashi delek,

Dear Blue Garuda.

But i do it my way, but nevertheless thanks for your good and well meant advices.

Everybody has so his / her way of working and following order, i guess so.......... :jumping:

Mutsog Marro
KY
I showed you the ToS for DW. They are there for a reason. They show you how to help other people understand what you are posting. They are clear, even if your English is not so good.

As you are on DW it would be polite to follow the ToS rather than your own idea of what works.

The title of your thread and your first post were not connected in any way. Surely you can see that, and see that it is better for you to post an introduction and a picture of the Sand Mandala rather than just posting a quote unrelated to the thread title and a pic of a Guru with a completely different sort of mandala.

I give up. Sigh............ :shrug:
Left
kalden yungdrung

Blue Garuda wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote: Tashi delek,

Dear Blue Garuda.

Mutsog Marro
KY
I showed you the ToS for DW. They are there for a reason. They show you how to help other people understand what you are posting. They are clear, even if your English is not so good.

As you are on DW it would be polite to follow the ToS rather than your own idea of what works.

The title of your thread and your first post were not connected in any way. Surely you can see that, and see that it is better for you to post an introduction and a picture of the Sand Mandala rather than just posting a quote unrelated to the thread title and a pic of a Guru with a completely different sort of mandala.

I give up. Sigh............ :shrug:

Tashi delek,

Thanks for your helping hand.

If people have problems with the text they can put a question. Therfore we have a forum to discuss topics.
What is polite well that is up to the administrators to decide, i guess so :D
Helping people of course i do also at home and of course also here, that does form my very mission in this live to develop Bodhicitta. :anjali:
And here we have so our own methods etc. and that would you also have isn' t it?

Well don' t you worry too much about my way of posting. If it is not ok then i will hear it sure from the adminstrators.............

Mutsug Marro
KY
username

Post by username »

mutsuk wrote:
mutsuk wrote: He is a nephew of Samten Karmay and was for years the main assistant of Menri Lopön (Trinley Nyima Rinpoche) during his touring in the West, succeeding the prior assistant Tenzin Gyeltsen from the famed Yangtön family.
I forgot to mention that, despite his young age, he has been the head of the philosophy school in Menri (Dolanji) as well as one of the editors of the Bon-sgo journal. His knowledge and intelligence are obvious and praised by his own masters. I remember that Menri Lopön formulated privately great praises of his young student.
Thanks mutsuk, he has to be very talented to be Menri Loppon's main assistant abroad, he seems nice too.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

username wrote:Thanks mutsuk, he has to be very talented to be Menri Loppon's main assistant abroad, he seems nice too.
He is indeed very nice and knowledgeable and has a great sense of humor. Wait until you hear him laugh !!
username

Post by username »

Hopefully one day I will, thanks.

Return to “Bön”