Sang Incense Burners

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Blue Garuda

Sang Incense Burners

Post by Blue Garuda »

I make quite a few incense offerings and use a variety of containers and 'burners'.

I wondered, in the case of a formal 'sang' offering, if there is any particular advice about what form of burner to use.

Some clearly get caked up with tar etc really fast and just don't work well.

I've seen one or two in the form of a gaping mouth which could be Vajradaka or the 'Face of Glory'.

Anyone's Guru given them guidance or is it just a matter of preference?

Here are a few styles I've come across:

Traditional:

Face of Glory (Kirti Mukkha) or similar Vajradaka:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84265607@N ... 794362829/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simple chalice - I've seen these in soapstone, stone and metal:

Left
Stewart

Re: Sang Incense Burners

Post by Stewart »

Hey BG,

Forget all the ornate stuff, it's impractical and gets tarnished so easily....For years I have used a granite mortar, they are heavy: so difficult to knock over, durable: they can take a high temperature, lots of Sang and charcoal burning and you can still lift and move it, cool to the touch. You can pick one up for about £10.

I got mine years ago in a shop, on sale as the pestle was missing! It looks the same as the day I bought it.
Attachments
172322c.jpg
172322c.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
s.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Can you/anyone recommend some online shop to buy incense for sang in the uk?
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Soar wrote:Can you/anyone recommend some online shop to buy incense for sang in the uk?
This is my friends site:

http://www.garudashop.com/Tibetan_Incen ... _s/143.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blue Garuda: there's actually a really nice cast iron incense burner on this page.
s.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Hi.

Sorry, I must have given the wrong impression in the OP.

I use a variety of burners myself, so I wasn't looking to buy one.

I do like Garuda Trading though. :)

There is also Pink Lotus (http://www.pinklotus.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and the site I took the images from, Dharma Jewels (http://www.dharmajewels.co.uk/home.php?cat=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I was asking if there was any specific guidance anyone had received from a Guru relating to what to use as a burner.

Well, aside from 'do not inhale'! LOL :)
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Ha!

Sorry BG, only advice I have been given is to use a clean vessel that is only used for that purpose. Other than that, I don't think there are any rules as such.
s.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Stewart wrote:Ha!

Sorry BG, only advice I have been given is to use a clean vessel that is only used for that purpose. Other than that, I don't think there are any rules as such.

Thanks. :)

I suspect that is going to be the case.

In the case of the serkyem I improvise and use a bronze bowl and bronze vase, as serkyem from dealers seemed to be very expensive for what they were.
Left
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Yes, items like these can be over priced, I stocked up on these kind of things a few years a go in India. So much cheaper, even for good quality items.

People, in my experience, can get really hung up on having everything just right, but when it comes down to it, it's your motivation and effort that makes the difference. I remember Mingyur Rinpoche gave a Vajrapani Wang in his room at Sherab Ling a few years back, and he used digestive biscuits instead of Tormas.
s.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Stewart wrote:Yes, items like these can be over priced, I stocked up on these kind of things a few years a go in India. So much cheaper, even for good quality items.

People, in my experience, can get really hung up on having everything just right, but when it comes down to it, it's your motivation and effort that makes the difference. I remember Mingyur Rinpoche gave a Vajrapani Wang in his room at Sherab Ling a few years back, and he used digestive biscuits instead of Tormas.
Here's my improvised Serkyem. Sorry about the size. Wonder if there's a way to upload as a clickable thumbnail image:

Left
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Looks fit for purpose to me, main thing is your doing the offering.

When I lived at Samye Ling I used to attend to Sherab Palden Beru, the master artist (who incidentaly is 103 this year), everyday I would do his offerings on his shrine bowls, Serkyem etc, it was thick with black tea residue and the 5 grains were set into the tea! many years of offerings there!

Anyway, good luck with your practice
s.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”