Chatral Rinpoche : We abide nowhere, we possess nothing

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
phantom59

Chatral Rinpoche : We abide nowhere, we possess nothing

Post by phantom59 »

Chatral Rinpoche once explained, “We abide nowhere, we possess nothing.” In the ultimate sense, this is a profound statement on the impermanence of life and emptiness of all things. In the conventional sense, this is how a yogi like Chatral Rinpoche actually lived in Tibet.

Having no household or possessions to weigh on one’s mind, one is completely free to practice the Dharma. As far as the seeming adversity of physical discomforts and irregular meals, Dudjom Rinpoche explained, “When realization becomes as vast as space, all adverse conditions arise as friends.”

http://www.compassionateaction.info/bio.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rinpoche explains, “There are three kinds of Dharma practitioners: firstly, there are those who look like practitioners outwardly, but inwardly they are not real practitioners; secondly, there are those who talk very high, but have no realization at all; thirdly there are those who do not look like practitioners outwardly, but who are in fact genuine practitioners inside.” Rinpoche therefore will not transmit any higher-level teachings to those who have studied with him for less than six years—sufficient time for them to prove themselves as genuine practitioners.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Chatral Rinpoche : We abide nowhere, we possess nothing

Post by Huseng »

Chatral Rinpoche is a gem. There are very very few yogis like him left in the world.

What I mean is that he was born in a basically pre-modern environment in a pre-modern culture. His worldview in his formative years presumably wouldn't have been influenced in the slightest by non-Buddhist ideas or doubts.

Most Buddhist yogis from elsewhere in the world have been exposed to westernization and modernity, which I think hinders practice in many ways as technology and western materialism would draw one away from full devotion to the path. If you were born in Tibet in Chatral Rinpoche's time you were probably never exposed to such influences.
phantom59

Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche : Words of Wisdom

Post by phantom59 »

“I am just an ordinary sentient being and there is nothing special about me. I just follow the teachings of Lord Buddha. Without any cheating on my part, I stand firmly on the ground in practicing the Dharma and in helping all sentient beings. I wish that all sentient beings could let go of the acts of self-deception and self-aggrandizement, so that they can really practice the Dharma in order to liberate themselves from cyclic existence and to help other sentient beings. Otherwise, it will be too late when they are feeling remorseful!”

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”