YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Weboards, the new Mara? - Dhamma Wheel

Weboards, the new Mara?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Jhana4

Weboards, the new Mara?

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Last night I had a splendid meditation session. I got deeply relaxed. Then I got a huge shot of bliss. I felt like I could float through my ceiling. Then I went to a web board where someone left me an unprovoked and slightly rude reply to a message I posted. I felt a sudden impulse to rip that person apart. LOL! :).

I decided to watch it pass, like a sudden surge of stiffness in a lower leg haven fallen asleep during meditation.

That doesn't always happen :)

The internet has been a great boon for communicating information about meditation and Buddhism. I also think it has a compulsive element to it that goads people into getting lost over petty things.

I mean, if I can feel like that fantastic from meditation one second and feel full of rage from the internet the next second, it either says very little about the Dhamma or it says a lot about the compulsive nature of web boards
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Nibbida

Re: Weboards, the new Mara?

Postby Nibbida » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Or the web board is a teacher in disguise, showing you where hidden faults lie. It's doing you a favor by showing where you need more work. By working through those areas, your practice will strengthen even more and you will reap the benefits.

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:35 pm

For what it's worth, I think meditation periods can be a good reality check, and it doesn't matter to me personally if there is bliss or physical pain or both or neither. Then at other times, things crop up that also present an opportunity for being present, including annoyances. Whatever underlying reactivity occurs, it's a chance to notice what's happening within, and to engage it directly with equanimity and awareness. That's part of ongoing practice. We're not always going to get it right.

If I can feel fantastic during meditation one second and feel full of rage the next second, it says very little about the Dhamma, and it also says very little about the nature of web boards, but it says a lot about the underlying pyschophysical processes that we all have experienced for as long as any of us can remember.

People say and do things on web boards that can be helpful or unhelpful. The best we can do is respond authentically with an attitude of friendship, leaving our expectations at the door. Either that or disengage, I suppose.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi Jhana4

No one is claiming perfection here. But we are here to help each other. Buddhist practice must necessarily include giving as well as being able to take advice from your peers (due to the absence of a God whispering in your ear :tongue: ). If we presume that someone is judging us each time he/she gives some advice we didn't figure out by ourselves, we will not get very far.

Returning to a technical point- the development of calm, concentrated mind states simply suppress defilements and sometimes they simply break through if they are provoked hard enough. This is why there is the whole eightfold practice (noble eightfold path) to cultivate and develop, not just meditation. I have had much benefit from practicing this and will continue to do it in the future. It is far superior to any form of therapy currently available.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Why post on them then? I agree with you about the roots of the bickering.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm

rowyourboat, point taken. Like I wrote, it just sounded too close to an old left handed slam pulled by an OCD jerk I used to know.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm starting to think that its a problem when a web board reaches a certain critical mass — number of members or posts per day perhaps. What started off as mostly polite and helpful discussion, easily degenerates into a slanging match.

Many people equate moderation with censorship, but it seems to be something that is unavoidable on web boards that become active and popular.

My school music teacher put it well — if you don't discipline yourself, someone else will have to do it for you. :rules:
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:11 pm

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Last edited by Jhana4 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Last edited by Nibbida on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I think you might find that The Buddha had something to say along those lines too Nibbida.... :smile:

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”