term for a reaction to a reaction?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby anjali » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I was talking with a friend about emotions and suffering, and we began discussing emotional reactions to other emotions. For example, feeling guilty at feeling angry at someone. Is there a Buddhist term for this second-order emotional reaction? I've read discussions of the notion in Buddhist writings before, but can't say as I've ever come across a word denoting the concept of a reaction to a reaction.
  • The object of the game is to go on playing it. --John Von Neumann
  • All activities are like the games children play. If started, they can never be finished. They are only completed once you let them be, like castles made of sand. --Khenpo Nyoshul Rinpoche
anjali

Re: term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby viniketa » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm

This could be considered an example of upādāna (grasping, clinging, attachment), one of the twelve nidānas of pratītyasamutpāda (interdependent causation, dependent arising, or dependent co-arising).

Perhaps this resource might be helpful:

http://www.khandro.net/doctrine_12Nidanas.htm

Best wishes for your continued studies.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Return to Exploring Buddhism