Soto-zen, Dogen and reincarnation

pueraeternus

Re: Soto-zen, Dogen and reincarnation

Post by pueraeternus »

dharmagoat wrote:
Astus wrote:Saying that what the Buddha and Dogen taught are not what they believed and realised is saying that they were speaking lies.
Just to be clear, I am challenging the claim that we can know what the Buddha and Dogen believed based on what they taught.

The Buddha taught different things to different people depending on their needs and understanding. Sometimes his teachings were contradictory. Was he lying to some and not to others, or was he exercising skillful means in each case?
In actuality, Dharmagoat does not believe that the Buddha and Dogen did not believe in rebirth, just like Simon E. Even though there are written records on some web forums that claimed they said that, we do not know for sure if they really thought that way. If fact, both of them are probably true traditionists and fully accept the dependent origination teachings where beings are reborn in accordance with their ripened karma.

E ma ho!

:smile:
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I have it on the very best authority that Simon E. does not, and has never, existed.
Simon E. is a dream figure who is dreaming that he has created a cyberperson with whom he identifies for reasons of convention.

:namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Simon E. wrote:I have it on the very best authority that Simon E. does not, and has never, existed.
Simon E. is a dream figure who is dreaming that he has created a cyberperson with whom he identifies for reasons of convention.

:namaste:
:twothumbsup:

On this point, I think we can all agree.

Yours truly,
another dream figure
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

tomamundsen wrote:Brad just blogged about this topic again yesterday - http://suicidegirlsblog.com/blog/brad-w ... r-you-die/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounds more like "Bradism" rather than Buddhism. :)
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Astus wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:Just to be clear, I am challenging the claim that we can know what the Buddha and Dogen believed based on what they taught.

The Buddha taught different things to different people depending on their needs and understanding. Sometimes his teachings were contradictory. Was he lying to some and not to others, or was he exercising skillful means in each case?
Skilful means doesn't mean it is not true, but that it is not the final teaching. The path is a gradual one, so one should not stop on level one. And just because there are further levels, the higher ones don't invalidate the lowers, but rather give them context and further meaning. Also, if the Buddha spoke anything that was not true, he failed to uphold the basic precepts, and that is impossible.
So the original question remains. Can we know what the Buddha believed based on what he taught?

If all teachings but the final teaching lack context and are limited in meaning, can they be used to gauge what the Buddha actually believed?
What is the final teaching, and does anyone fully understand it?
Greg_the_poet

Post by Greg_the_poet »

I get the feeling that most of the people replying on this thread are not soto zen practitioners, if they were I'm not sure they'd be such a defensive stance over literal re-birth.
I think I may stick to Zen forum international. This site doesn't seem to be helpful to my Zen practice.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

dharmagoat wrote: If all teachings but the final teaching lack context and are limited in meaning, can they be used to gauge what the Buddha actually believed?
If he spent all his teaching career of about fifty years teaching that rebirth is real and must be overcome, then we can safely assume he actually believed in it.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Huseng wrote:
dharmagoat wrote: If all teachings but the final teaching lack context and are limited in meaning, can they be used to gauge what the Buddha actually believed?
If he spent all his teaching career of about fifty years teaching that rebirth is real and must be overcome, then we can safely assume he actually believed in it.
But considered safe or not, it is still an assumption?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

dharmagoat wrote:
Huseng wrote:
But considered safe or not, it is still an assumption?
We know he taught rebirth throughout his whole teaching career.

Your arguments are misleading and unreasonable. Pointless.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Huseng wrote:Your arguments are misleading and unreasonable. Pointless.
I disagree. My questions are proving to be quite revealing. Please explain how they are misleading and unreasonable.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

dharmagoat wrote:So the original question remains. Can we know what the Buddha believed based on what he taught?

If all teachings but the final teaching lack context and are limited in meaning, can they be used to gauge what the Buddha actually believed?
The teaching is confirmed by proper reasoning and personal insight, the tradition of that is preserved by the community of the noble beings, the third jewel of Buddhism.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Astus wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:So the original question remains. Can we know what the Buddha believed based on what he taught?

The teaching is confirmed by proper reasoning and personal insight, the tradition of that is preserved by the community of the noble beings, the third jewel of Buddhism
The community of noble beings preserve the understanding of the final teaching of the Buddha, and are therefore the ones that know what the Buddha actually believed?
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

dharmagoat wrote:The community of noble beings preserve the understanding of the final teaching of the Buddha, and are therefore the ones that know what the Buddha actually believed?
The buddha-nature, the eye of awakening, is present in all, but only those who have actually opened it realise the way things truly are. And that is the correct faith of a buddha.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Greg_the_poet

Post by Greg_the_poet »

Whether or not Buddha taught rebirth, I don't care. Whether or not Buddha believed in rebirth, I don't care, and if that means I have a "wrong view" I still don't care. I believe in my own experience, and I'm pretty sure Buddha taught this above anything else.
I share the sentiments of the Zen master who said 'I'm not a Dead Zen master' when asked about what happens after we die. I also share the sentiments of some Zen teachers who say that just because Buddha "Attained" enlightenment, that didn't mean he was some perfect, super human, infallible person like a lot of Buddhists seem to think. To even suggest that would put Buddha on a plateau of a God.

"If you see the Buddha, kill the Buddha"

"In the begginers mind there are many possibilities, in the experts mind there are few."

To me it seems we have far too many experts here.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Greg_the_poet wrote:To even suggest that would put Buddha on a plateau of a God.
The Buddha was the teacher of gods and men. Hence, greater than a god.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Huseng wrote:The Buddha was the teacher of gods and men. Hence, greater than a god.
Can we question the existence of gods?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

dharmagoat wrote:
Huseng wrote:The Buddha was the teacher of gods and men. Hence, greater than a god.
I am certain you possess the ability to do so.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Huseng wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
I am certain you possess the ability to do so.
Your certainty may be unfounded, but I appreciate the endorsement. I will consider that another project for another time.
Greg_the_poet

Post by Greg_the_poet »

You seem to have an answer to everything don't you? Me and this site are finished. There's no room for independent thought here.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Greg_the_poet wrote:You seem to have an answer to everything don't you? Me and this site are finished. There's no room for independent thought here.
Oh come on. I'm just having fun.

We disagree with each other and on a subject like this we're never going to get anywhere ultimately.

Return to “Zen”