32 marks of a Buddha

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
zamotcr

Re: 32 marks of a Buddha

Post by zamotcr »

I don't know, but for me this sounds weird. At the end of the day the differenciation between men and women are illusory, but it appears that some sutras ignore this.
I don't like a religion where only men can do the best part. But that's my opinion, and I would like to know a better interpretation for this 32 marks.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

zamotcr wrote:I don't know, but for me this sounds weird. At the end of the day the differenciation between men and women are illusory, but it appears that some sutras ignore this.
I don't like a religion where only men can do the best part. But that's my opinion, and I would like to know a better interpretation for this 32 marks.
I can offer you one possible explanation.
The 32 Marks and variations are found in all religious systems that come from ancient Bharat, an area that contains modern India, Pakistan and various smaller countries.
The 32 Marks in some form are found in religious systems that are older than Buddhism.
In other words we are not talking literally here. We are talking about a common set of symbols, Common to the Vedic religions, to Jainism, and to Buddhism.
Literalists within each of these religious systems will claim that theirs is a unique understanding of the Marks, and that only THEIR candidate/s are the real thing.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There is a sutta in Sutta Nipata, and a similar sutta is found elsewhere of the Pali Canon also, in which a group of brahmins come to see the Tathagata in order to see if he really has the 32 marks of a Superman. In this sutta the brahmins find them all in the body of the Buddha Shakyamuni. There maybe some interpretation what these marks are like in an actual physical body, but thís shows that they were real physical marks. The marks are discussed in the Large Prajña Paramita sutra in the Mahayana, and in other Mahayana sutras and sastras.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Simon E. wrote:
zamotcr wrote:I don't know, but for me this sounds weird. At the end of the day the differenciation between men and women are illusory, but it appears that some sutras ignore this.
I can offer you one possible explanation.
The 32 Marks and variations are found in all religious systems that come from ancient Bharat, an area that contains modern India, Pakistan and various smaller countries.
The 32 Marks in some form are found in religious systems that are older than Buddhism.
In other words we are not talking literally here. We are talking about a common set of symbols, Common to the Vedic religions, to Jainism, and to Buddhism.
Literalists within each of these religious systems will claim that theirs is a unique understanding of the Marks, and that only THEIR candidate/s are the real thing.
What? Wot? Are you saying that I'm supposed to read only metaphorically things like
Well-retracted male organ
?

I don't want to be a Buddhist anymore...
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Well, you may jest... :lol:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In the Blue Annals there is a story of a tibetan who developed an Ushnisha on his head after his death.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Aemilius wrote:In the Blue Annals there is a story of a tibetan who developed an Ushnisha on his head after his death.
You mean they tied his hair in a topknot?
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Sometimes i have a white single hair, and long, between my eyebrowns. :D
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

dharmagoat wrote:
Aemilius wrote:In the Blue Annals there is a story of a tibetan who developed an Ushnisha on his head after his death.
You mean they tied his hair in a topknot?
No, it means that an actual fleshy protuberance appeared on the head of the deceased person. As an outer sign of his attainment in the bardo.
svaha
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

The Marks are called 32 Marks of a Mahapurusha. According to Sutta Nipata they appear in vedic mantras. Mahapurusha has been translated as Superman, Cosmic man, etc..
svaha

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”