Finding a teacher when you dislike interaction

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
skittish

Re: Finding a teacher when you dislike interaction

Postby skittish » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

skittish

Postby skittish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Here's where things tend to get disingenuous. While recognizing the apparent reality of AS is endorsed when pressed, in practice folks reject this, and actually prefer that one treat AS as the hallucinations of schizophrenia, as even apparently false. If one truly wishes to uncling from AS, one must uncling also from the false denial of its apparent reality. But most view this as just simple clinging, so despite any genuine intent to completely uncling, one will be constantly accused of simple clinging - of attempting to cement the label "AS".

The task however is not to naively uncling from "apparent AS" by simply dropping the label, but to truly uncling by dropping it completely. Tolerating any false denial at all opens a gate to the worst of contrivances, potentially impenetrable later on. More importantly though, no true understanding results from clinging to a false denial of AS, and isn't that the point? Anyway, if a practitioner works with the perceived deficits or tendencies of AS, they are by definition engaged in unclinging to the label "AS", despite the fact that they might temporarily (or for a lifetime) maintain the label as apparently real. The focus on the label is exceedingly superficial, nit-picky, and ignores the essence of the task in favor of an orthodoxy.

Finally, it's perfectly consistent with complete unclinging to AS to hold that some apparently real aspect of AS, some apparent difference, remain over the life of the practitioner, as there may be some created karma that causes those experiencing AS (whatever one wishes to term the experiences of AS) to be in the state they're in just as that causing big feet. (this is not to say that it is at all necessary that AS persist over the life of the practitioner like astigmatism for aspects of AS to remain apparently real, and thus not a straw man).

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Since you completely disregard anything I actually say and merely set up straw men and then proceed to cut them down, pretending that they are my arguments, I will leave you to continue arguing with yourself since I play no real role whatsoever in this discussion.
:namaste:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

muni

Postby muni » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 am

Generally, there is no need for any denial there is no need for any focus.
Not easy to solve our problems by protecting or defending them, this is for all of us. I wish appropiate guidance as far as possible.

No tree is the same, isn't?

:namaste:

muni

Postby muni » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm

No fear, no doubt, no obstacle but laughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCkgtWOImzw

undefineable

Postby undefineable » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:51 pm

muni

Postby muni » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 am

Hello,

Yesterday the young student psychology with the spectrum problems, sitting in the middle of research works said: but...in fact all is created ideas which we take for true, how that can be on itself?

Before she told her own problems get bigger when she focussed on them as mine.

Thumbs up! Angelic, Skittish.......!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5yPh8tr ... creen&NR=1 :twothumbsup:

Thrasymachus

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Finally I got over my procrastination and after searching found a Vajrayana Buddhist Center belonging to the Drikung Kagyu school that is less than 7 miles from me. I am excited about this development, because I don't like traveling far at all.

Is it considered rude or improper to just pop in? I emailed them yesterday, but have not had a response, and who knows maybe they barely or don't check email. I could call, but to me using phone is more rude, since someone has to drop whatever they were doing. I don't know really know the etiquette or protocol around this subject.

ronnewmexico

Postby ronnewmexico » Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Yes...if this is a retreat center also... just dropping in may not be preferred.

So I would call...if they do not want to be bothered they will have it on call forwarding or answering machine.
This is less obtrusive then just dropping in.

Then ask them when may I drop by.

Emails...yes they may not check them daily or even weekly to my personal experience. Some may some may not.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Sat May 05, 2012 10:47 am

Angelic Fruitcake

Postby Angelic Fruitcake » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Mundane life and wordly responsibilities in combination with a personal crisis have meant I haven't mustered up the energy required to seek a teacher out. So far my strongest connection is to the words of Thich Nhat Hanh. There is a small sangha in his Plum Village tradition here which I have been meaning to seek out, perhaps in the company of a friend who shares both my problems and the wish to deepen his insight.

I define myself as autistic when my autistic features become so apparent that I feel I need context for them. I use my diagnoses to get the appropriate practical and psychological help I need to manage myself and my life.

The problem for me is I feel almost invaded by other people. Have you ever felt crowded by someone sitting or standing too close to you, smelling bad or talking too loud or asking intrusive questions? That's what most interaction feels like for me, like I'm being pushed into a corner. I expect and hope for a certain amount of acceptance at any dharma center, so I'm not too worried about them finding me odd, but meeting strangers really takes a toll on me and I'm barely scraping by as it is. (I think I might have mentioned that in the OP: single mom, autistic son, working, studying + anxiety problems)

Anyway, I'm using life itself as a teacher right now. I realize that may sound flaky, but it is natural to me. I learn every day how to be more patient, let go of myself and my ideas and remain calm in the middle of the storm. That being said, I have a long road ahead of me, but at least I'm moving forward. Next week the children are at their father's and I might go to a meditation meeting at the sangha I mentioned, provided they're open that week.

Thank you for all your responses! :namaste:

undefineable

Postby undefineable » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Simon

Postby Simon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:58 am

undefineable

Postby undefineable » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 pm

undefineable

Postby undefineable » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:15 am

As an 'aside', I wonder if the kind of issues faced by recent post-ers on this thread indicate a physical problem with the rlungs (inner winds) - I'm by no means being 'new-agey', just noticing how easily mental processes get 'blown' off course for many people, and noticing, perhaps, a sensation of wind or rapid inner 'slipping' when I'm not feeling so good. I can't imagine the more-profound, 'spiritual' explanations for mental conditions, such as 'theory of mind' (viz. autism) holding water for many of us, so won't mind being called 'literal-minded' or whatever.

undefineable

Postby undefineable » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:05 am

Simon

Postby Simon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 am

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”