Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Does anyone know of any modern day Pure Land Masters? I'm thinking someone comparable to Yin Guang. Bascially someone who has spent alot of time in retreat.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:07 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Posts: 4203
Location: Budapest
The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
Image

_________________
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Hi Astus,

I think I used a different spelling in my first post, but yes, I have that book and liked it. He was definitely an amazing teacher and practitioner.

:namaste:

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am
Posts: 2776
Image
Links: 1 2



_________________
TWTB BIES OCB DDM BWF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Posts: 4203
Location: Budapest
mr. gordo wrote:
Hi Astus,

I think I used a different spelling in my first post, but yes, I have that book and liked it. He was definitely an amazing teacher and practitioner.

:namaste:


Yinguang (印光) and Guangqin (廣欽) are two different teachers, not the same age and not exactly the same type of background and teaching. The teachings of Yinguang in English are in the book "Pure-Land Zen, Zen Pure-Land: Letters from patriarch Yin Kuang". Yinguang is more of the faith and other-power approach, Guangqin is more of meditation and self-power.

_________________
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Duh! Thanks for the correction Astus. :smile:

Thanks for the vids of Ching Kung plwk. Has he done alot of time in retreat?

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am
Posts: 2776
From what my friends who are his followers have told me, I am sure he has mr gordo and even conducts numerous retreats for others. He is the present day living example and an admirable reference on Pure Land teaching & practice in the Chinese Mahayana world undoubtedly.
I wonder who has he designated as his successor though...

_________________
TWTB BIES OCB DDM BWF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Interesting plwk, thanks!

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
If you enjoy the Chan - Pureland style, then I would definitely recommend checking out this teacher, Ven Huiri 慧日法師. I spent several years practicing with him when I was in South Africa.

A couple of my friends have set up a site for those Pureland teachings here, and another one focusing on the Chan here, though the original site is still here.

One of those friends used to be a web designer, and both of them after studying with Ven Huiri have also been practicing in Nepal for a few years. One of their teachers is HH KC Ayang Rinpoche, who is a phowa teacher.

He has done a few years in solitary retreat, both Chan and Pureland practice. He's also led maybe 150 7-10 day retreats over the years, as well, all over the world.

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Huifeng wrote:
If you enjoy the Chan - Pureland style, then I would definitely recommend checking out this teacher, Ven Huiri 慧日法師. I spent several years practicing with him when I was in South Africa.

A couple of my friends have set up a site for those Pureland teachings here, and another one focusing on the Chan here, though the original site is still here.

One of those friends used to be a web designer, and both of them after studying with Ven Huiri have also been practicing in Nepal for a few years. One of their teachers is HH KC Ayang Rinpoche, who is a phowa teacher.

He has done a few years in solitary retreat, both Chan and Pureland practice. He's also led maybe 150 7-10 day retreats over the years, as well, all over the world.


Thank you Venerable, this is fascinating. I've never heard of Ven Huiri.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
So in terms of living Pure Land masters...just two? Including Ayang Ripoche, 3?

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Posts: 4203
Location: Budapest
Recently the master and I were talking about his revolutionary change from Ch'an practice to totally practising the Pureland path of Master ShanDao, unable to maintain my curiosity I blurted out"

"But don't you miss your Ch'an practice? You spent so many years and so much effort doing it, don't you regret giving it up as completely as you have?"

He looked at me sideways, with that really mischievous smile of his and said:

"You don't understand. There's nothing to give up, nothing to lose. Everything I do is Ch'an. Ch'an is all around us. Could you possible let go of the space you're sitting in now? Could you be anything but sitting here in this space? Of course not! Ch'an is in anything and everything I do. I just don't talk about it like I used to anymore. I don't sit and think about it and discuss it and teach it."

"I looked at the people in this world. I saw how much they suffer, how difficult it is for them to understand, to practice, so I started teaching about Amitabha Buddha instead. And I'm the kind of person who only teaches what he practices, so I had to start practicing Pureland, and had to practice it properly, or I wouldn't be able to teach it."


Giving Up Chan?

_________________
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Astus wrote:
Recently the master and I were talking about his revolutionary change from Ch'an practice to totally practising the Pureland path of Master ShanDao, unable to maintain my curiosity I blurted out"

"But don't you miss your Ch'an practice? You spent so many years and so much effort doing it, don't you regret giving it up as completely as you have?"

He looked at me sideways, with that really mischievous smile of his and said:

"You don't understand. There's nothing to give up, nothing to lose. Everything I do is Ch'an. Ch'an is all around us. Could you possible let go of the space you're sitting in now? Could you be anything but sitting here in this space? Of course not! Ch'an is in anything and everything I do. I just don't talk about it like I used to anymore. I don't sit and think about it and discuss it and teach it."

"I looked at the people in this world. I saw how much they suffer, how difficult it is for them to understand, to practice, so I started teaching about Amitabha Buddha instead. And I'm the kind of person who only teaches what he practices, so I had to start practicing Pureland, and had to practice it properly, or I wouldn't be able to teach it."


Giving Up Chan?


:good:

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:18 am
Posts: 271
Location: Singapore
Ven Master Chin Kung is really a master that lead me to the core of buddhism. Thanks for changing my life and thought. you can say he's link down from Patriarch Yin Kuang. as His teacher, Upasaka Li Binan was a student of patriarch Yin Kuang.

/\

_________________
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 am
Posts: 1
Astus wrote:
The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
Image


I am searching for the video, can you please provide the video link of his funeral. Tq. :buddha1:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am
Posts: 2776
tonyleesb wrote:
Astus wrote:
The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
Image


I am searching for the video, can you please provide the video link of his funeral. Tq. :buddha1:


_________________
TWTB BIES OCB DDM BWF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 185
Mr. G wrote:
Does anyone know of any modern day Pure Land Masters? I'm thinking someone comparable to Yin Guang. Bascially someone who has spent alot of time in retreat.

............................................
Tariki Trust's Caroline Brazier is very good.
UK and France Based.

_________________
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group