YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Kindle for dhamma books - Dhamma Wheel

Kindle for dhamma books

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Kindle for dhamma books

Postby cooran » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 am

Hello all,

Anyone using a Kindle for Theravada Buddhist texts?

I'm thinking of getting one, but am not a technical person, and wonder which version might be best, particularly for Australia. I understand costs of downloading are more expensive here?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben

Re: Kindle for dhamma books

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:52 am

Hi Chris

I hear they are pretty good. Excellent screen resolution. Don't know how they compare against iPad.
I think I'll wait a little while before investing in a tablet.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 am

What makes the Kindle (and most other e-readers) better than an iPad is that it uses an e-Ink display so it is very easy on the eyes, like reading a paper page. It's great, I read on mine a lot. :thumbsup: The Kindle battery lasts for a week or more without recharging! That's with the WiFi turned off. I have seen an iPad and it's really very nice, but I think it would be tiring to read on it for very long, and of course the battery won't last as long. Besides, I just want to read books, don't care about all the iPad stuff, and the Kindle is smaller and easy to carry around, and turns on instantly.

For the Kindle, ebooks need to be in either Kindle(MOBI) format or PDF format-- it does not do EPUB. With the Kindle format, you can set any font size you like and it reflows the text to show whatever amount fits on the screen for your font size. The problem with PDF is it displays each whole page as formatted by the PDF file's page size, so the font may be very small. You can zoom in on it, but then you have to pan around to see the page. I have several PDF Dhamma books on it and I can read them OK, but if you have trouble reading small print it may be a problem. I keep meaning to check into whether I can resize the PDF pages/font in a PDF editor or convert them to MOBI but haven't tried it yet. I think it depends on each PDF file and how it was set up.

Also there's a free program, Calibre, that is nice for managing your ebook library and converting between formats.

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:47 am

Hello all,

Thanks for your posts. :group:

There seems to be three models available - I am leaning towards the middle priced one ($189.00), I think the price is in U.S. dollars. I'm not sure of the actual price in Oz.
Any comments about the models?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ1Y8Q?tag ... country=AU

Also - does anyone have a link to what Theravada Dhamma books might be available for download, if I purchase a Kindle? There seems to be a great number of Vajrayana and Zen books available for a Kindle, but I can't locate many Theravada. I no longer read much fiction, so I would have to be able to get Dhamma books.

Thanks for any further help and advice......

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:12 am

Hi Chris,
I have a whole lot of dhamma e-books on my computer that you are welcome to. Mostly pdf files, I think.
Also, check the link to scribd in my signature as some of those publications maybe free (without having to subscribe to scribd). Anyway, I have most if not all of them.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:32 am

I have the Kindle Wifi + 3G, but if I were buying it again I would just get the slightly cheaper Kindle wifi. I think that's the one you are considering too. The only difference really is the 3G can surf wikipedia anywhere, anytime.
If mine broke tomorrow, I'd buy another one.

I have heaps of theravadan texts on it, they're out there if you look.
Most of them are in epub format, but Calibre converts epub to kindle format automatically.
I have ALL of Mahasi Sayadaw's books, several autobiograpies of thai monks, Henepola Gunaratana's book on Jhanas, Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine, two different versions of the dhammapada, etc etc. All of it for free, apart from the Fearless book.
Someone told me you can put all of the Access to Insight website on it, but I haven't managed to do it yet.
There are threads on both here and newbuddhist.com relating to where to get ebooks from.
Enjoy!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 am

Thank you so much James for your advice re the middle priced model. :smile:

I'll look into this further with Australian retailers.

Thanks also for your offer Ben - I'm be sure to contact you once I've got the Kindle.

with metta
Chris

bodom

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 am

I have a Nook Color and it works great for downloading Dhamma articles and Pdf books off the web.

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

zavk

Postby zavk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am

What a timely thread! A while I ago I decided that I will get the next gen iPad when it comes out (in a few months I'm guessing). But recently, a friend of mine has been talking about Kindle. Well, I've pretty much decided that I will get the iPad anyway--I have other uses for it. What I'm curious about is if the iPad allows you to annotate ebooks, highlight passages, etc. Any feedback?
With metta,
zavk

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:34 pm

I went with the iPad, and am actually typing this on it too.

While it is pricier, it's a lot more useful than a simple eBook reader, especially when you consider that it has a fully functional web browser to surf Buddhist sites. Access to Insight is available as an offline application, but not really necessary since the normal website works just as well.

It's not at all hard on the eyes, but has been known to keep people awake at night if they read just before bed because of the light. The weight is more than a Kindle or Nook, but almost never has it been an issue. If my 3 year-old can hold it, an adult should manage just fine.

As far as formats, it will accept ePub and PDF, which almost every Buddhist book seems to be in, and can also listen to all the audio format podcasts that are available. I've purchased numerous books through it, including those three Bhikkhu Bodhi books, I have many of the free texts available, and I can pull down Buddhist podcasts very easily. Top that off with a great "Zen Timer" and Netflix streaming.

On the downside, its battery life is less than 11 hours before recharging, and it's more expensive. In my opinion, Kindles are nice, Nooks are nicer, but I wouldn't buy either in place of what I have. They're too limiting.

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello all,

Interesting comparison:

iPad vs Kindle
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gadgets/kindle-vs-ipad/

with metta
Chris

nobody12345

Postby nobody12345 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 am

I use Kindle (version 2) everyday.
Here are the things that I found useful.
1. Changing font size - The most useful feature for me.
2. Carry tons of books easily - (I can carry Nikayas and other books literally everywhere I go)
3. Easy access to footnote and reference- Much easier than printed books. Just click and you are jumping into footnote.
4. Various hardware format support- Not only I use Kindle but I can also read books from my Android phone (HTC Droid) as well.
5. Similarity with ink based printed book - Kindle's text display looks like ink based printed text. Very easy on the eyes.
IMHO, if your main focus is 'reading', this is a great investment.
Metta.

Jack

Postby Jack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:47 pm

I bought a wifi Kindle a week ago and am very happy with it. I downloaded a lot of free Buddhist books from the Internet. The only problem I am having is formating PDF files. Yesterday I converted a pdf book to a .doc file with a software program I bought. I also used a free program called Calibre to convert the pdf file to .mobi format. I have yet to load them on my Kindle to see if they work.

Downloading pdf files without converting them isn't that big of a problem. I read them in landscape mode. The print is then pretty small but very readable and the formating is the same as the original pdf file.

Jack

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:36 am

legallybuddhist

Postby legallybuddhist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Agree with the Kindle comments - I've had a Kindle since December and it's brilliant!

I've converted Nanananada's Nibbana Sermons on to it, along with Nanavira's 'Clearing The Path'. I've just obtained a Kindle-specific version of the Dhammapada, and have Bhikku Bodhi's SN on it too. Utterly brilliant and the best investment I've made both generally and towards my dhamma study in a long time!

Re converting - it can sometimes work out funny. With Nibbana sermons, for example, the footnotes and page numbers have messed the formatting up. But it's consistently messy, if that makes sense, so that I'm able to read and enjoy it and circumvent the formatting issues with no problems or detracting from the ability to read.

LB

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:11 am

Hello,

I am considering buying a Kindle and have a question to the Kindle users:

If the Kindle should get broken after some years, do you have to rebuy all books that were saved on it? Or can you just re-download them for free onto your new ebook reader?

Btw: Maybe I will wait until the end of 2011 or early 2012 to buy a Kindle 4, because at the moment I still have enough to read for a whole year. :tongue:

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks for bringing up this thread again Rahula

I finally ordered my Kindle (3G with WiFi) today. Allegedly delivery in 5 days.

with metta
Chris

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:25 pm

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:28 pm

OK, thank you very much!

Jack

Postby Jack » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Sometimes when I download something from the Internet and put it on my Kindle, the formatting gets screwed up. For instance, I downloaded Arahattamagga: The Path to Arahatship. After uploading it to my Kindle, many words didn't have a space between them. In other selection there might be a line break in the middle of the sentence. Anyone able to solve these problems?

jack

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”