Sun

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Aemilius

Sun

Post by Aemilius »

The physical Sun is so large that it could burn Earth to ashes in a few seconds.
There are yogis who have achieved the power of controlling the sun of outer world. There are inner yoga practices where sun is a force inside one's body.
In Dewachen or Sukhavati there is no sun in the sky. There space is not dark and black as it is in our world system. There space is light. There beings' bodies radiate light, their bodies have an inner sun or inner source of light, (beings' bodies emit light also in Deva realms of our universe).
I haven't invented this, it is told in the literature of the Pureland School.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: Sun

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

This is a fascinating tidbit, thank you :)

Best,
Laura
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Anyone can cover the Sun with just one finger. Is it a miracle? No. Science has its own cosmology which is not the same as Buddhist cosmology. Yogis can snatch away the Sun and turn around the Moon. Scientists can explain to you the Solar wind and build rockets to land on the Moon.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

an article about Miracles of Gautama Buddha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracles_of_Gautama_Buddha
recommended!!

another one about supernormal powers (iddhi), with a list of sutras where they are discussed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iddhi

Are you saying that truth is many and not one ?
Last edited by Aemilius on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

I'm saying that there are different views. The question, in my view, is not their truth but their effect, their function.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote:I'm saying that there are different views. The question, in my view, is not their truth but their effect, their function.

Funny you should mention the possible moon rockets, there are explanations why the moon rocket fraud was created, take a look at this page of Michael Palomino
http://www.geschichteinchronologie.ch/a ... index.html
it is an excellent introduction to the topic.
svaha
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Aemilius wrote:
Astus wrote:I'm saying that there are different views. The question, in my view, is not their truth but their effect, their function.

Funny you should mention the possible moon rockets, there are explanations why the moon rocket fraud was created, take a look at this page of Michael Palomino

I read it. The man is completely nuts.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

catmoon wrote:
Aemilius wrote:

I read it. The man is completely nuts.
Oh yeah ? How about this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdMvQTNLaUE ?
svaha
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Actually, this kind of doubting normally accepted events is a good example of how even apparently real things are questioned by some. And then people can start arguing about it. But where does that lead to? Nowhere, besides some bad feelings. Believing in the moon landing or not has no effect on one's progress to enlightenment, nor on being a better person. But indulging in rows and generating an angry mind certainly has a negative effect.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Astus wrote:Actually, this kind of doubting normally accepted events is a good example of how even apparently real things are questioned by some. And then people can start arguing about it. But where does that lead to? Nowhere, besides some bad feelings. Believing in the moon landing or not has no effect on one's progress to enlightenment, nor on being a better person. But indulging in rows and generating an angry mind certainly has a negative effect.
How do you know? :guns:
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Aemilius wrote:
Oh yeah ? How about this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdMvQTNLaUE ?
I watched this and came to the conclusion that the presenter in the video is indeed in full possession of his senses. Unfortunately he seems to know next to nothing about physics, and hence finds many of the the phenomena, which he so keenly observes, inexplicable. But a keen observer should also notice many other strange effects caused by working in a vacuum and low gravity that verify the reality. The presenter simply ignores things like the unearthly dust-settling behaviour, optical effects caused by the extreme contrast between light and shadow and so on.

I watched your video, will you watch mine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSroT3RkmQ
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

It is unnecessary to argue about the evidence, I myself thought for decades that the issue is only for lunatics, then I found out that reality is manmade, is mindmade, is in fact a product of imagination. It works the same way as samaya and damtsig work in tantrism. The high generals give the samaya, i.e. they say what is the truth, and others keep their vows and thus uphold the truth, and then it becomes the truth. The moon rocket is only one instance of this principle and this phenomenon. It is however very important for the Lankavatara sutra world view, I think it happened during Tathagata Shakyamuni's lifetime that some manufactured truth had become accepted as reality by the large majority, which gave rise to the teaching of Lankavatara, in Lankavatara Shakyamuni has gone away from India for awhile, he doesn't have many disciples left, the general tone of the Lankavatara is somewhat bitter,...
The moon trip is a vast subject, it is difficult to approach it meaningfully, many things have happened, especially to the moon rocket -samaya breakers of the society after September 11, 2001. Then it also happened that Europe sent a rocket with a probe to the moon in 2003, its voyage, one way, took five (5) months! It changed many things, as you can understand. But then started a massive propaganda about the Apollo program, that totally drowned the european rocket, that had in fact gone to the Moon. Hardly anyone knows about this european moon rocket even in Europe !!! Thus we can safely say that reality is propaganda made, is imagination, etc...
svaha

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”