Shantideva Online

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Shantideva Online

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

The Bodhisattva spirit is an inclusive, life-affirming spirit which transcends not only ethnicity, gender, and the cultural variations of practice, but one which transcends Buddhism, as the Bodhisattva spirit can recognize the appropriateness to be found in the practices and traditions of other faiths that are inclusive and life-affirming.
Shantideva Online is an interesting site dedicated to the works of the historical Acharya Shantideva.
It's worth a read.

Bodhisattva precepts and vows can be found here.
dumb bonbu

Re: Shantideva Online

Post by dumb bonbu »

:twothumbsup: cool! coincidentally enough, i started reading the Bodhicaryavatara just the other night.
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu
Luke

Post by Luke »

dumb bonbu wrote::twothumbsup: cool! coincidentally enough, i started reading the Bodhicaryavatara just the other night.
Which translation are you reading and what do you think of it?
dumb bonbu

Post by dumb bonbu »

hi Luke, it's the translation by the Padmakara Translation Group, from the Tibetan. i've only got through the preface, introduction and Ch.1 (which i'm going to reread before moving on to the next chapter) so far, so i can't really offer an opinion yet other than that i like their reasoning in explaining why translate from the Tibetan when the Sanskrit is available.

i'll let you know when i'm done though :smile:
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”