Teacher's Images as Avatars

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
dharmagoat

Teacher's Images as Avatars

Post by dharmagoat »

There are several members that are using images of venerated teachers as their avatars. For those of us that are unable to recognise these teachers and so readily conclude that it cannot possibly be them in person, this can be extremely confusing. Even when aware that the poster is not the teacher, it still poses a difficulty in relating to the person behind the image. Whether intended or not, is this not a deception?
Dechen Norbu

Re: Teacher's Images as Avatars

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I think they see it as a kind of homage, but it's a bit lame IMO. :lol:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

It is a common vow of bodhisattvas to wish that their images, words or even thinking about them, be a blessing and inspiration to others. For example, here is Nagarjuna bodhisattva, from his Precious Garland:
Whether extending respectful trust to me or even hating me,
If they but behold me or merely bear me in mind,
Even to the point that they only hear my name,
May they thus be bound for certain success [on the path to] bodhi
Evidently some folks have a problem with such images - but overcoming problems X, Y or Z is what the buddhadharma is for.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

I also have my teacher as my avatar here.
Hopefully people will be able to tell the difference. :smile:

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

dharmagoat wrote:There are several members that are using images of venerated teachers as their avatars. For those of us that are unable to recognise these teachers and so readily conclude that it cannot possibly be them in person, this can be extremely confusing. Even when aware that the poster is not the teacher, it still poses a difficulty in relating to the person behind the image. Whether intended or not, is this not a deception?
There are several members that are using images of venerated animals as their avatars. For those of us that are unable to recognize these animals and so readily conclude that it cannot possibly be them in person, this can be extremely confusing. Even when aware that the poster is not the animal, it still poses a difficulty in relating to the person behind the image. Whether intended or not, is this not a deception?

~~ Dharmahuman
plwk

Post by plwk »

:lol:
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Huifeng wrote:There are several members that are using images of venerated animals as their avatars. For those of us that are unable to recognize these animals and so readily conclude that it cannot possibly be them in person, this can be extremely confusing. Even when aware that the poster is not the animal, it still poses a difficulty in relating to the person behind the image. Whether intended or not, is this not a deception?

~~ Dharmahuman
:applause: Made my day.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Huifeng wrote:I also have my teacher as my avatar here.

~~ Huifeng
You just do it coz your ugly mug is capable of scaring off even the barbarian hordes! :tongue:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I have no problem revealing my real image. :spy: :

Left
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

A word of advice: stick with the avatar!!! :tongue:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

gregkavarnos wrote:A word of advice: stick with the avatar!!! :tongue:
Y'see! Just because I'm the colour of Shrek and radioactive, nobody loves me! :)

Yup, I'm more Garuda than human anyway, so it stays. :)
Left
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

My friend, it's got to do with the get-up. You see Palestinian scarves (keffiyeh) come in three colours: red and white, black and white and green and white.

Red and white scarves are worn by Palestinian communists. Black and white scarves by supporters of Fatah (the party Arafat used to run), but the green and white scarves, well... You see they are worn by supporters of (the Islamic group) Hamas. So if there are any CIA or Mossad agents out there they will think that you are a member of the Martian wing of Hamas come to lend supprt to the struggle of the Palestinian people against their Israeli opressors. Before you know it they will have put into effect a tactical strike against terrorist training camps for Martian Hamas supporters and drop a few hundred nukes on Mars. The debris produced by the nukes will be catapulted through space (since Mars has a very thin atmosphere) hurtling towards earth and will bring about its destruction on 12th of December 2012 at 12.12am. That means that you will be personally responsible for the complete destruction of the planet earth and will have to spend a few million eternities in hell being force fed matza balls, gefilte fish, chopped liver and chicken soup to exploding point.

I mean, really, are you willing to risk all that? :tongue:

Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

gregkavarnos wrote:My friend, it's got to do with the get-up. You see Palestinian scarves (keffiyeh) come in three colours: red and white, black and white and green and white.

Red and white scarves are worn by Palestinian communists. Black and white scarves by supporters of Fatah (the party Arafat used to run), but the green and white scarves, well... You see they are worn by supporters of (the Islamic group) Hamas. So if there are any CIA or Mossad agents out there they will think that you are a member of the Martian wing of Hamas come to lend supprt to the struggle of the Palestinian people against their Israeli opressors. Before you know it they will have put into effect a tactical strike against terrorist training camps for Martian Hamas supporters and drop a few hundred nukes on Mars. The debris produced by the nukes will be catapulted through space (since Mars has a very thin atmosphere) hurtling towards earth and will bring about its destruction on 12th of December 2012 at 12.12am. That means that you will be personally responsible for the complete destruction of the planet earth and will have to spend a few million eternities in hell being force fed matza balls, gefilte fish, chopped liver and chicken soup to exploding point.

I mean, really, are you willing to risk all that? :tongue:
The secret it out - I am a secret agent of Humus, under the command of the Mekon of Mekonta, currently also hiding in the form of Kermit the Frog. :)

If you use a picture of your 'real' self, is in an avatar at all, I wonder?

I know, for example, that your own pic is actually of the love child of Aphrodite as fathered by Vangelis Papathanassiou. You have to deny it, I know, but the resemblance is clear. ;)

An avatar is a manifestation of a deity or person - being both, I'm safe, but I'm not sure about the rest of you......... :applause: :namaste:
Left
shel

Post by shel »

~~ Huifeng
Looks like your teacher could use a sandwich.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

shel wrote:

~~ Huifeng
Looks like your teacher could use a sandwich.
Exactly the point. Shortly after the time depicted by the statue, he went and sat under a tree and had a sandwich, which led directly to his full enlightenment.

More seriously, I also find teacher avatars disorienting. I really thought for a long time that Will was a little bald old Chinese guy. Still do, sometimes.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Perhaps, to save the psyches of so many delicate folks, those with guru-avatars could be taught how to add another caption line below our screen names. Staff here has 'Global Moderator' or whatnot - so why not add an avatar identifier line?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

My avatar is my inner teacher too. :tongue:

~~ Huifeng
Which Buddha is this? (the anorectic looking statue) I remember seeing something about this Buddha in a documentary but now can't recall...
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

The Fasting Buddha

One of the most spectacular pieces of art anywhere in the world, is the Ghandhara Civilization's 'Fasting Buddha' which lies in the Lahore Museum.

The young prince Siddharatha left his palace in search of enlightenment and practised for six years such severe austerities and intense mental concentration that his body withered away to skin and bones.
Ultimately he attained enlightenment at the age of thirty five and became known as the Buddha - "The enlightened one". This statue of the Fasting Siddharatha ranks not only as the finest specimen of Gandhara Art, but also as one of the rarest antiquities of the ancient world.
Attachments
fasting buddha.png
fasting buddha.png (411.82 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Completely Hellenistic! Especially the depictions of the small figures around the base.
:namaste:

lobster

Post by lobster »

Looks like your teacher could use a sandwich
Using a sandwich as an avatar is a good plan.

OM MANI PADME HUM US ON RYE :meditate:

Return to “Suggestion Box”