Lojongs, Rushens, and Semdzins

Pero

Re: Lojongs, Rushens, and Semdzins

Post by Pero »

Lhug-Pa wrote: I would guess that for the Outer and/or Inner Rushens specifically, not missing a single day until it is finished would be very important; and, even though missing a day would not necessarily eradicate all benefit accumulated up until that point, it would still most likely be best to start the Outer and/or Inner Rushen over if one misses a day, in order to make sure that it is done correctly. And if one thinks that it is likely that a day could get missed, then maybe it's better to wait until one can go on an actual away-from-home retreat (unless one doesn't mind starting over everytime a day is missed).... Just me speculating.
Bro, all of this what you're saying is just mental masturbation, too much focusing on numbers which are pretty much irrelevant. You do Rushen until you get a result, the same way with any practice. If a requirement is to do 100 000 of something and you do it but don't have any signs that means you have to do more (or that you're doing something wrong). It doesn't mean you're finished just because you completed some requirement someone else gave.

Now there are requirements in SMS so if you want to follow that program then you need to observe the numbers. Because that's part of how going to the next level is gauged. But even if you complete all the requirements there, if there are no signs you should do more. Otherwise you'll just be fooling yourself with some faulty idea of completion.

So stop obsessing about how much you should do of something and where and when and just start doing it. If you have the opportunity to do it one day or two and then not the next day or two, so what? It's much better than putting it off to some future personal retreat that may never come.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

True, Pero.

That's why I'd edited this into my previous post:

Lhug-Pa wrote:(or watch our dreams etc. for signs of completion)
And see if our attachment diminishes in day to day life; also an increase in Clarity, Compassion, etc. And our capacity to self-liberate what is contrary to these qualities.

:anjali:
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

I have been working with the Seven Lojongs, and am a little confused with the third: how one is beguiled by diverse secondary causes. Does this mean that we mistake various secondary causes to be primary causes, such as when someone makes fun of us or shouts at us we become angry or sad and blame the person; when in fact the primary cause for our feelings of anger, ect is our own karma and attachment to self. Does this just refer to our habitual way of viewing our karmic vision to be real? Any thoughts or clarifications would be great.

Also, after one has recieved transmission from ChNN and joins DC (which I just did) does that give one permission to start the rushen practice, or is there some particular transmission that is needed. How often does he give the pointing out transmission? I am terribly bummed that I missed it yesterday due to work. I am planning on getting the WWT later this month, I just can't shake the feeling that my practice is inauthentic because I haven't recieved a formal pointing out from the teacher. I know that this is just a mental construct, but it is impeding nonetheless. I have been practicing Dharma for some time now, and this is a familiar position. Feeling that once I get the next badge so to speak, then my Dharma practice will really begin. First it was refuge, then ngondro, empowerments, ect. All illusory stuff here of no benefit, but good to talk about I suppose.

Thanks all,
Troy
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

CrawfordHollow wrote:
Also, after one has recieved transmission from ChNN...does that give one permission to start the rushen practice,
Yes.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

CrawfordHollow wrote:I am planning on getting the WWT later this month,
The master is giving the diret introduction very frequently. If you tune in for a webcast you can consider yourself having obtained it, then you just wor with your circumstances to discover that knowledge. And if it makes you feel comfortable, definitely attend the WWT too.

All the best,

Kevin
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

Thanks for the responses, sometimes I need reassurance. Does anyone have any thoughs on my question regarding the third Lojong? I am not clear at all on this.

Thanks, Troy
trevor

Post by trevor »

Are there some online instructions for these practices, or which books should I look for?

Return to “Dzogchen”