The new landscape

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
shel

Re: The new landscape

Post by shel »

noclue wrote:What's happened to the luminous unstained original nature, Mr Shel? It's shining light on all without discrimination, if only one stops to look...

But of course there are more pressing and engaging tasks at hand usually.
A clue:

We must realize our original nature whilest at the tasks at hand. Stone Buddhas may beautify the landscape, but that is only surface deep <-- my point, in case you missed it. :tongue:
noclue

Post by noclue »

Tree wrote:I think Western Buddhists could do with a bit less intellectualizing and study... and more practice. More Action.

Just my opinion.
I don't know about Western Buddhists but I should always do more practice.

Mr Shel,

We are probably talking past each other. My comment about "shining light on what is confused, conflicted and confining" was simply about bringing awareness and insight to the various aspects of delusion. If this is controversial to you, then we probably have too little common ground to continue this conversation. To me this is Buddhadharma 101.

Its not about making stone Buddhas or passing any sort of judgment, other than recognizing what is unwholesome and harmful and looking into it.

So my comment was simply about keeping the forum constructive - nurturing what is wholesome, wise and inspirational and bringing awareness and insight to what is otherwise.

Do you find this objectionable?
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Hi all,

Back to topic please. Thanks :)

Best,
Laura
noclue

Post by noclue »

You should have the emoticon for "Take it outside, boys!"
shel

Post by shel »

noclue wrote:It's not about... passing any sort of judgment, other than...

Do you find this objectionable?
Oh no, that's fine with me. I make judgments all the time. In fact I'm making one right now. :smile:
mudra

Post by mudra »

Back to the original topic for just a sec - outside of Dhamma and Dharma Wheel it's kind of slim pickings.

Now back to off topic:

Interesting that we all find it a wee bit flat here, when back in E-sangha there was kind of a running assumption that it was the Mahayana (well ok especially the Tibetan and maybe the Zen) side of things that was rowdy.

I have to admit I did love some of the cross forum stuff there, it was almost worth having to suffer the crazies.

In regard to that cross sectarian thing, the chat rooms at E-sangha I do miss. Is it just me who can't figure it out or is the chat room here still a little dysfunctional? Or is it functional at all yet Ngawang Drolma-la? You said there were some tech difficulties a while back? Any progress?
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Mudra, we'll get that chat back up asap. Sorry for the delay! I'm having difficulty as the set-up for the service I'd like to use is giving my Mac a hard time. I'll get another staff to help me.

Best,
Laura
MJH

Post by MJH »

mudra wrote: I have to admit I did love some of the cross forum stuff there, it was almost worth having to suffer the crazies.
I have to agree with you here. It was really interesting to see the different points of view from all over the dharma rainbow.
Even if some of the responses were a little "out there"...... :crazy:
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos
shel

Post by shel »

mudra wrote:Back to the original topic for just a sec - outside of Dhamma and Dharma Wheel it's kind of slim pickings.

Now back to off topic:

Interesting that we all find it a wee bit flat here, when back in E-sangha there was kind of a running assumption that it was the Mahayana (well ok especially the Tibetan and maybe the Zen) side of things that was rowdy.?
Namdrol would spice things up around here. Has he been invited to the forum?
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mudra,
mudra wrote:Interesting that we all find it a wee bit flat here, when back in E-sangha there was kind of a running assumption that it was the Mahayana (well ok especially the Tibetan and maybe the Zen) side of things that was rowdy.
I think this has more to do with the fact that Dhamma Wheel and ZFI were already reasonably well established before E-Sangha dropped off the face of the Internet. Members of these traditions had logical and established places to relocate to - sites that most of them had already heard of.

This wasn't the case for the other traditions, and partly why things were a little slow to get off the ground here. Dharma Wheel was just one of many other contenders for people's attention, including the non-denominational New Buddhist (which seems to have fared well as the forum most geared to beginners), and the pan-Buddhist offerings like Free Sangha, Buddhism Without Boundaries, iSangha, and Buddha Forum.

Dharma Wheel pitches itself mainly towards established Buddhists who already know which tradition their views are most aligned to. Given the DW sites not really geared towards absolute newbies (and those crazies that were mentioned above!), they're a lot calmer, with less sectarian bickering (you'd get sick of it again soon enough if exposed to it regularly), and hopefully a more focused and Dharmic environment as a result.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
mudra

Post by mudra »

Retro, David, Ngawang Drolma-la and others on the board:

Make no mistake, we really appreciate having a new home, and there obviously has been a lot of hard work and sacrifice gone into it for the sake of the Buddhadharma. I rejoice!!!

And Retro, you're right - I'm sure we'd get sick of the looneys again pretty quick!
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

mudra wrote:Retro, David, Ngawang Drolma-la and others on the board:

Make no mistake, we really appreciate having a new home, and there obviously has been a lot of hard work and sacrifice gone into it for the sake of the Buddhadharma. I rejoice!!!

And Retro, you're right - I'm sure we'd get sick of the looneys again pretty quick!
Wonderful news :twothumbsup:

Return to “Lounge”