YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Concentration games - Dhamma Wheel

Concentration games

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Nibbida

Concentration games

Postby Nibbida » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36 am

There has been research showing that certain training software increases concentration and working memory ability in children and adults, healthy or with illnesses (e.g ADHD, addictions). I was wondering if the same kinds of games would enhance concentration in meditation. Further, it was shown in some of the studies that training concentration in one task transfers over to others. So there is good reason to believe that this would transfer over to meditation.

A few studies

This game is free so if you feel like playing with it, try it out:

This is a "dual n-back" task. It's basically a matching task. It presents a square in different positions and reads out a letter. The task is to indicate whether the current square/letter matches the previous one based on location, letter, or both (hence "dual"). The "n" is a the number of steps back you're matching. So if n=1 then you're seeing if it matches the previous one, if n=2 you have to remember two steps back (I suggest starting with n=1. This is a major brain workout.)

There are also several games available at . You have to register to play, but you can register and play certain games for free. I like "speed match."

So if anyone is inclined to try this out and see if it helps their meditation, I'd be curious to know. It's probably going to take more than one session, probably over a few weeks to see significant improvement. Of course, this would be in addition to meditation, not in place of it. But it's free and doesn't take much time, so there's nothing really to lose.

[Edit] P.S. I know that some of those papers say "working memory" but it applies directly to meditation. Holding the object of meditation in mind and not wandering to extraneous distractions would be classified as "working memory" in psychology lingo.

Moggalana

Re: Concentration games

Postby Moggalana » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:09 pm

It also works the other way around. .
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 pm

That's a good point. If it works in one direction, it likely works in the other direction too.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:34 pm

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:33 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 am

Greetings,

I like sudoku because it's a logic puzzle that keeps the mind in the present moment, away from papanca.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't know if I hate sudoku because I suck at it or if I suck at it because i hate it.

However I've started on my mathematics degree and get the same sort of thing now when working out math problems.

-M

Moog

Postby Moog » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”