Searching for a guru

Jordan.Kuemmel

Searching for a guru

Post by Jordan.Kuemmel »

Hello,
I'm a 16 year old Vajrayana Buddhist in the Gelugpa sect from Green Bay, Wisconsin. I have been self teaching myself for a while now and I feel that having a guru to help me along would be a huge help. So I am asking if there is a guru out there that is willing to teach me I'd very much appreciate it.

*Edit: Email address removed.
Last edited by rose on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed email address
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Searching for a guru

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Jordan.Kuemmel wrote:Hello,
I'm a 16 year old Vajrayana Buddhist in the Gelugpa sect from Green Bay, Wisconsin. I have been self teaching myself for a while now and I feel that having a guru to help me along would be a huge help. So I am asking if there is a guru out there that is willing to teach me I'd very much appreciate it.
Try this place in Madison...
http://www.deerparkcenter.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Jordan.Kuemmel

Post by Jordan.Kuemmel »

[/quote]Try this place in Madison...
http://www.deerparkcenter.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

I have been there, a beautiful place, but very far away from me (3.5 hour drive)
Josef

Post by Josef »

Have you ever had a teacher?
Have you already chosen a sect without having met a teacher?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Jordan.Kuemmel

Post by Jordan.Kuemmel »

Josef wrote:

Have you ever had a teacher?
Have you already chosen a sect without having met a teacher?
I have never had a teacher, I was recommended into Gelugpa by my uncle who had done alot of Buddhist studies back in the day. I'm open to any sect of Vajrayana, I just need a teacher as I said
Josef

Post by Josef »

Jordan.Kuemmel wrote:
I have never had a teacher, I was recommended into Gelugpa by my uncle who had done alot of Buddhist studies back in the day. I'm open to any sect of Vajrayana, I just need a teacher as I said
Take your time.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

It's not Gelug (it is Drikung Kagyu), and it's even further than Madison, but:

http://chicagoratnashri.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their lama, Drupon Rinchen Dorjee, is someone I count as a guru, and I live four thousand miles away from Chicago!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Jordan.Kuemmel wrote: I have been there, a beautiful place, but very far away from me (3.5 hour drive)
That's FUNNY!!!!
Well, I hope you get your drivers license soon then.
Not too long ago, if you wanted to find a teacher you had to climb up some snow covered mountain in the Himalayas.
And you had to speak Tibetan.
And you had to hope the teacher would accept you as a student.
I wish my teacher was only 3.5 hours away!!!
Good luck!
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Jordan.Kuemmel

Post by Jordan.Kuemmel »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Jordan.Kuemmel wrote: I have been there, a beautiful place, but very far away from me (3.5 hour drive)
That's FUNNY!!!!
Not too long ago, if you wanted to find a teacher you had to climb up some snow covered mountain in the Himalayas.
Good luck!
I'm getting my drivers liscense in about 22 days, once I get that it will be much easier to make the trip along with one of my friends that is also searching for a guru. Your help is appreciated, I tend to forget how hard it was for people back then. I guess I'm a classic American, haha. I try to stray away from that mindset.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Jordan,

Sounds like you have the right attitude. I don't have much more advice to offer beyond what you've already heard (take your time, stay positive, listen to advice, keep some perspective). I just want to encourage you in practice, to take your time in committing to a teacher, and to keep an open mind and a sense of humor. I was about your age when I became interested in Dharma myself. It's a good ride, even for a slow learner and mistake-maker like me.

All the best to you.

Jikan
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

While searching, you may want to consider an online study and/or training program. That is a great way to get going.

Best Regards,

Jens
Gyalpo

Post by Gyalpo »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
That's FUNNY!!!!
Good luck!

:twothumbsup:
Jordan.Kuemmel

Post by Jordan.Kuemmel »

Jikan wrote:Hi Jordan,

Sounds like you have the right attitude. I don't have much more advice to offer beyond what you've already heard (take your time, stay positive, listen to advice, keep some perspective). I just want to encourage you in practice, to take your time in committing to a teacher, and to keep an open mind and a sense of humor. I was about your age when I became interested in Dharma myself. It's a good ride, even for a slow learner and mistake-maker like me.

All the best to you.

Jikan
Hello Jikan,
Thank you very much for the well wishings, all the best to you as well. I am a teenage American so I tend to be a bit impatient, but I am very attentive to advice. Tashi Delek.

From, Jordan Kuemmel
nagabobby

Post by nagabobby »

You might be interested in checking out an excellent authentic Gelug teacher - Gelek Rimpoche - who teaches in Ann Arbor Michigan and at other locations.
Some teachings are available online.
His website is jewelheart.org.
Check out youtube for current teachings of Rimpoche's on Tibetan Buddhism.

Return to “Gelug”