YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Revolution in Egypt? - Dhamma Wheel

Revolution in Egypt?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
alan

Revolution in Egypt?

Postby alan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:50 am

I'm sure many DW members are watching the events unfold. Strikes me as somewhat similar to the Philippine "people power" revolt which resulted in the overthrow of the Dictator Marcos.
I've spent time in both countries, and although they differ in religion, there are similarities in the way their states have been horribly misgoverned. We'll see tomorrow--if the military sides with the people, there might be a real change in the Arab world. If not, well, more of the same.

Hanzze

Re: Revolution in Egypt?

Postby Hanzze » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

alan

Postby alan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 am

By the way, I thought Obama totally nailed it tonight. His statement was mature and dignified.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:14 am

Hi Alan

Interesting times indeed from Tunisia to Egypt and beyond.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 am

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:28 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

shjohnk

Postby shjohnk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:44 pm

My Prediction: Change of talking head (Muburak for some other stooge), a few cosmetic changes which will be reneged on in one month, then more of the same: The only thing that the west will care about is to avoid an extremist government, human rights won't come in to the picture (Remember that Iraq was a great mate of the west back in the 80s when they were battling Iran - what's a few thousand gassed Kurds between friends?)

Great admiration for the people there though: This is no get it out of your system aren't we radical? student protest march, that's a country where they shoot to kill, arrest beat and torture political opponents. Extremely brave people.

I'm glad I have the freedom to live in peace and freedom, reminder to self not to waste this life! :buddha1:

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:22 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:58 pm

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Germany and Turkey are evacuating their citizens...

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:52 pm

awful.....things are escalating badly in Egypt....just watched some life footage....

Tex

Postby Tex » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:16 am

This is awful. Molotov cocktail battles in the streets. I saw a man accidentally light himself on fire several hours ago. He tried to throw a molotov but I guess it slipped from his hand and burst against the underside of a balcony over his head and rained down fiery gas on him and his shirt caught. Awful, awful stuff.

I may be more ignorant of the situation there than I realized, as I was surprised at the sheer number of Mubarak supporters that initiated the violence several hours ago. I realize that many of them are likely his police acting in plain clothes, but it sure seemed that there were tens of thousands of them surrounding the square before the sun went down. They can't all be police. Perhaps the politics there are more complicated that we realized a few days ago when it seemed to be a united people standing up to a universally-despised despot?

Regardless, this footage is amazing and very sad. Another day in Samsara. Ugh.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

alan

Postby alan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 am

I think they were just common criminals paid $5 to go create mayhem.

alan

Postby alan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:07 am

A beautiful thing to watch!

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:56 am

I'm happy for the people of egypt, although I express my concerns with this cartoon:

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

alan

Postby alan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:19 am

Legitimate concern. But I see millions of joyous people and no hints of a Muslim agenda. Visited Egypt 3 times in my backpacker days and was treated kindly by everyone. Nowhere did I feel even a hint of disregard. Contrast that with Morocco, where I was spit on for being a "Christian", and had children throw rocks at me! West Bank (Palestine) wasn't much better. But in Egypt I found an educated society that seemed secular and worldly. Their living conditions were appalling, relative to the potential of the country. I've always thought that if "democracy" were to erupt in the Arab world it would start in Egypt. We'll see where it goes from here, but for tonight at least I am celebrating along with them.
Credit to Obama and his team for walking a diplomatic tightrope and doing it well.

phil

Postby phil » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 am

I've always liked the said-to-be Buddhist saying "a thousand candles can be lit from a single flame." Very suitable, and grotesquely appropriate considering the trigger of this uprising...
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

zavk

Postby zavk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:55 am

Last edited by zavk on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
With metta,
zavk

alan

Postby alan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 am

Thoughtful reply as always, zavk.
These people seem to me to just want basic things. It's really absurd, how Arab society has been so oppressed.
I'd love to think that with a bit of a release valve--with the creation of some semblance of pride and self-rule, we will see the end of those who cling to Islam as their only means of expression.
My time in that region makes me hopeful.

What happened in Burma is a different story for another day.

zavk

Postby zavk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 am

With metta,
zavk

Return to “Lounge”