YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

A Video - Dhamma Wheel

A Video

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Future Bhikkhu

A Video

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:16 am

Tell me your thoughts on this video from Youtube. It is a clip of an American man who shows hatred towards Buddhism that I have never come across before.Warning, this video includes strong use of language and will surely be offensive to you.

With metta

:anjali:
Last edited by Future Bhikkhu on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The mind is everything; what you think you become.
-The Buddha

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Must Watch!

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:19 am

Greetings,

Maybe you could tell us your thoughts about it first? What it's about... what you think about it, etc.?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Future Bhikkhu

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:23 am

I thought it to be very interesting. Although he attacked the religion, I found that I could not hate the man, everywhere around me people say things about others to which I take no offence. I have found that if I didn't hold onto Buddhism as my religion then it would not hurt me. I follow Buddhism and believe that it can lead one to liberation but I'm also aware that it is only a vehicle to get there, not the destination.

It just shows how much we Buddhist have to do in making clear our religion. I also found it to be a good subject of meditation because if you can love him as you love your mother then you can love anybody. :)

With metta

Last edited by Future Bhikkhu on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-The Buddha

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:30 am

A few minutes of it was entertaining, but it got a little tedious listening to someone who is clearly delusional and who is suffering an acute phase of ADD. Did you see how many videos this guy has posted of himself ranting? 507!!
I wouldn't take anything he said in relation to Buddhism with any seriousness.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:27 am

It's a well known and hotly debated video from someone who doesn't have his facts straight and has no clue about Buddhism.

plwk

Postby plwk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 am

Greetings,

I'm glad I didn't bother to watch it then.

:buddha2:

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 am

The only thing we must watch is our own mind.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Euclid

Postby Euclid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 am

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 pm

His hatred of Buddhism or anything else is his burden, not mine. I'm not offended by him. I feel bad for him. Hopefully he finds happiness someday.

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Bonsai Doug

Postby Bonsai Doug » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead

Future Bhikkhu

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm sorry that some of you refuse to watch. I thought that it was very good training in watching thoughts of aversion, hate and anger flood into our mind. I have found that if we are offended it is because our 'ego' has taken the religion of Buddhism as our own and so when he offends it we are in turn offended. No one can hurt you if you do not grasp to anything in this world. You must accept the things that you are adverse to and reject those things which brings pleasure, didn't the Buddha say something like that. I was interested in seeing who could watch the video and manage to radiate loving-kindness to the man at the height of his speech, that's all. Anyway, I know that the title was not the best and I will provide information in the future;It's a mistake of a begginer.

With metta,

-The Buddha

Future Bhikkhu

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 pm

-The Buddha

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Future Bhikkhu

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:37 pm

-The Buddha

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Future Bhikkhu

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 pm

-The Buddha

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Greetings Future,

It's good you can see that nobody is questioning your genuine intentions - that is good.

As for sense restraint and so on, the Buddha didn't challenge us to seek sensory input that might inflame the senses. Rather...

DN 2 - Samaññaphala Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"And how does a monk guard the doors of his senses? On seeing a form with the eye, he does not grasp at any theme or details by which — if he were to dwell without restraint over the faculty of the eye — evil, unskillful qualities such as greed or distress might assail him. On hearing a sound with the ear... On smelling an odor with the nose... On tasting a flavor with the tongue... On touching a tactile sensation with the body... On cognizing an idea with the intellect, he does not grasp at any theme or details by which — if he were to dwell without restraint over the faculty of the intellect — evil, unskillful qualities such as greed or distress might assail him. Endowed with this noble restraint over the sense faculties, he is inwardly sensitive to the pleasure of being blameless. This is how a monk guards the doors of his senses.

Metta,

Future Bhikkhu

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Then I must speak for myself. For me, I like to see how my mind works when not in a comfortable situation. In the same way that I meditate on the body's impermenance, I meditate on things that I do not normally wish to hear. It is part of my training to realise the Noble Truth of Suffering. Is this the right thing to do? I have found that I must analyse my mind processes to truly understand why I suffer. Did the Buddha offer any training when the subject was on somethnig that is normally bad?

Thankyou

With metta

-The Buddha

Return to “Lounge”