For those who like to think
By Paul Krismanits
Here's a few things most people don't know, because most people like to get their news from propaganda movies which win Oscars (*achem* "An Inconvenient Truth"). So here's some facts I bet Al Gore and your science teacher didn't teach:
1. Contrary to the popular belief that glaciers all over the world are melting, in some places they are actually GROWING. In Iceland and Greenland, the first half of the twentieth century was warmer than the second half. In Iceland, most glaciers lost mass after 1930 because temperatures temporarily rose by .6 degrees Celsius. But since then the climate has gotten colder, and since 1970 the glaciers have been growing. Including eleven glaciers which are surging in size.
(P. Chylek, et al. 2004, "Global Warming and the Greenland ice sheet," Climate Change 63, 210-21)
2. Contrary to popular belief, Antarctica is NOT melting. Only the Antarctic peninsula (a relatively small portion of the continent) is melting, but the continent as a whole is getting colder and the ice is growing thicker. In fact:
a. From 1986 to 2000 central Antarctic valleys cooled .7 degrees Celsius per decade with serious ecosystem damage from the cold.
(Doran, P.T., Priscu, J.C. Lyons, W.B. Walsh, J.E., Fountain, A.G. McKnight, D.M. Moorhead, D.L. Virginia, R.A. Wall, D.H. Clow, G.D. Fritsen, C.H. Mckay, C.P. and Parson, A.N., 2002, "Antarctic climate cooling and terrestrial ecosystem response," Nature, 415: 517-20)
b. Side-looking radar measurements show West Antarctica ice is increasing at 26.8 gigatons/yr. Reversing the melting trend of the last 6000 years.
(Joughlin, I., and Tulaczyk, S., 2002, "Positive mass balance of the Ross Ice Streams, West Antarctica," Science 295: 476-80)
c. Antarctic sea ice has increased since 1979.
(Liu, J., Curry, J.A., and Martinson, D.G., 2004, "Interpretation of recent Antarctic sea ice variability," Geophysical Research Letters 31: 10.1029/2003 GLO18732)
d. The greater part of Antarctica experiences a longer sea-ice season, lasting 21 days longer than it did in 1979.
(Parkinson, C.L. 2002, "Trends in the length of the southern Ocean sea-ice season, 1979-99," Annals of Glaciology 34: 435-40)
3. The arrival of global warming was announced in 1988 dramatically by James Hansen, a prominent climatologist. He predicted temperatures would rise by .35 degrees Celsius over the next ten years. The actual increase was .11 degrees Celsius (that's less than 1/10 of a degree folks). After ten years Hansen claimed that the forces which govern climate changes are so poorly understood that long-term prediction is impossible. Quote, "The forcings that drive long-term climate change are not known with an accuracy sufficient to define future climate change." His prediction was off by over 300 PERCENT, proving that scientists don't know what they're talking about when it comes to predictions in this field.
(James E. Hansen, Makiko Sato, Andrew Lacis, Reto Ruedy, Ina Tegen, and Elaine Matthews, "Climate Forcings in the Industrial Era," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 95 [October 1998] - 12753-58]
4. More CO2 in the air actually STIMULATES plant growth.
5. Deserts in Africa are SHRINKING. (Fred Pearce, "Africans go back to the land as plants reclaim the desert," New Scientist 175, 21 September 2002, pp. 4-5)
6. A presumed effect of global warming is that it will increase the rate of emergence of new diseases. Including bringing back diseases like malaria in a big way. In fact, the rate of emerging diseases has not increased since 1960. (Paul Reiter, et al, "Global Warming and malaria: a call for accuracy," Lancet, 4, no. 1 [June 2004]
7. There are around 160,000 glaciers in the world. Only about 67,000 have been inventoried, and only a few studied with any care. There is mass balance data extending five years or more for ONLY 79 GLACIERS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. No one knows whether they're all melting, or if even most of them are.
(H. Kieffer, et al., 2000, "New eyes in the sky measure glaciers and ice sheets," EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union 81: 265, 270-71. Also R.J. Braithwaite and Y. Zhang, "Relationships between interannual variability of glacier mass balance and climate," Journal of Glaciology 45 : 456-62)
8. The belief that Mt. Kilimanjaro is melting because of global warming is false. It has been melting since the 1800s, before "global warming." There is also no recorded warming trend at the altitude of the Kilimanjaro glacier. It is melting because of deforestation at its base which has taken away the moist air blowing upward. (Betsy Mason, "African Ice Under Wraps," Nature, 24, November 2003. Also Kaser, et al., "Modern glacier retreat on Kilimanjaro as evidence of climate change: Observations and facts," International Journal of Climatology 24: : 329-39)
9. Sea levels are not rising any faster due to global warming. For the last 6,000 years the sea level has been rising at the rate of 10 to 20 centimeters (4 to 8 inches) every hundred years. There is no recorded proof that they have risen faster. Computer models which claim to have proven otherwise have been proven inaccurate. In fact, the northern Pacific has been measured as rising, but the southern Pacific has fallen by several millimeters in recent years. . "Over the last century, global sea-level change has typically been estimated from tide gauge measurements by long-term averaging...")
10. Even if global warming was happening and causing more El Nino weather events, the effects would actually be positive. In 1998 El Ninos direct losses caused in the U.S. were about $4 billion, and the benefits were worth approximately $19 billion. (Stanley A. Changnon, 1999: "Impacts of 1997-98 El Nino-Generated Weather in the United States," Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80, no. 9 - pp. 1819-28]
11. The Kyoto Agreement is absolutely worthless and will only result in being harmful to world economies. The predicted effect of Kyoto would be to reduce warming by .04 degrees Celsius by the year 2100. That's the effect if the U.S. DID sign it. (Nature, 22 [October, 2003]: 395-741, stated, with Russia signed on, temperature affected would be -.02 Celsius by 2050.)
12. The modern theory of global warming is based upon the fact that the temperature has been rising steadily for the past 100 years due to rising CO2 and other emissions. The fact is, around 1880 (the beginning of the temperature rise) was actually the end of what many scientists call the "mini-ice age." Where, for about 400 years, the earth had cooled. The theory also presupposes that the greatest change occurred during the height of industrialization (roughly the 1940s-1970s). However, temperature graphs show that:
a. From 1940-1970 CO2 rose moderately yet the earth's temperature actually cooled.
b. The temperature in the United States peaked in the mid-1930s, cooled for about 60 years, and now has risen slightly again, although still not as much as it was in the 30s.
These graphs can be found at http://www.giss.nasa.gov
More of these graphs show that, while large urban areas have shown mild increases in temperature, many rural areas have actually cooled in the past 150-200 years. This is true globally. One specific example is New York City, which has increased in temperature about 4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1822, yet Albany, which is just north of New York City, has actually cooled a degree in the past 180 years. This shows no actual climate change as they are so close together.
These are just some of the facts people, from real scientists who do REAL research. These facts are not from politicians or actors. Whether the majority of scientists believe in it or not, there simply is not enough evidence to show that global warming is a threat in any way. Also, remember that it is merely a THEORY, and there are very little facts supporting it. http://www.helium.com/items/540228-glob ... real-truth