Dzogchen Teaching is Free From Limitations

deepbluehum

Re: Dzogchen Teaching is Free From Limitations

Post by deepbluehum »

rai wrote:
Pero wrote:
rai wrote: i like that :smile:. so in that sense all the realized Dzogchenpas are teaching Dzogchen constantly whether they verbalize it or not, right?

edit. it would be kind of skilful not to verbalize it and teach on lojong all the time, whoever "gets it" - fine but those who don't at least will do some lojong instead of passing time on endless conceptualization of the "highest" view.
No it wouldn't be skillful. Because then no one would get it for sure, sorry.
haha why not? DI is DI, no?
Sure, but lojong is not DI.
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

Malcolm wrote:
Mariusz wrote: For example visions of thogal have nothing to do with the Mind, but it is possible to have breaks for ordinary life activity.
"Samantabhadra" is a state of total integration where it is impossble to return to the state of being an ordinary person.

Below this level, we have alternating experiences of rigpa and marigpa.

This does not mean we need to do anything to acheive awakening. We merely need to extend the period of our non-dual integration from nanoseconds to 24/7.

Samantabhadra has five definitions, one of those is "the basis Samantbhadra".

N
So we merely need to have the third marigpa less and less until no longer?
Pero

Post by Pero »

rai wrote:
Pero wrote:No it wouldn't be skillful. Because then no one would get it for sure, sorry.
There are three transmissions. Oral, symbolic and direct. Without the first two you won't be able to get the third. Unless if you're a special person who already was a great practitioner in the past. In other words, if Rinpoche would only teach lojong, lojong is all that you'd get.
deepbluehum wrote:Sure, but lojong is not DI.
Right.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Mariusz wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote: Samantabhadra don't have any ignorance, and so he have no mind (sem) either. Sentient beings have mind (sem) and ignorance. I received very elaborate teachings on this over the years.

/magnus

Samantabhadra had ignorance, but never experienced dualism because he recognized the arising of the basis as his own display.
Yes it has Marigpas: first marigpa called unelightenment of single self (rgub dagnyind dchigpa) and second is called innate unelightenment (lhangchig skyespa). Third marigpa with no return to the state of Samantabhadra is called unelightenment of imaginaries (kuntu brtagspa). So it is not the case after recognizing Rigpa one can have next moment again the Mind because there was a fault in this Rigpa. Rigpa has all qualities since the beginning, one o them is the potentiality to manifest the Mind too, but somehow it is already spontaneous accomplished (lhundrup) not causing dualism (as the Samantabhadra does it) or not. This is fully evident during self-liberation or not in one's own bardo of dharmata and is cultivated during real practice of dzogchen during lifetime when you are in the state of Rigpa or not. For example visions of thogal have nothing to do with the Mind, but it is possible to have breaks for ordinary life activity. Or can you correct me?
There's no re-enlightenment. Enlightenment is permanent. Rigpa does not manifest as mind. Rigpa does not manifest at all. Rigpa is just your knowledge of the base. All the manifesting is marigpa. Once you finally resolve the view, there is exhaustion of phenomena.
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

deepbluehum wrote:All the manifesting is marigpa. Once you finally resolve the view, there is exhaustion of phenomena.
Even the visions of thogal? You know the exhaustion is the forth vision only.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mariusz wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:All the manifesting is marigpa. Once you finally resolve the view, there is exhaustion of phenomena.

No, not at all.

Thogal visions are wisdom appearances.
rai

Post by rai »

Pero wrote:
rai wrote:
Pero wrote:No it wouldn't be skillful. Because then no one would get it for sure, sorry.
There are three transmissions. Oral, symbolic and direct. Without the first two you won't be able to get the third. Unless if you're a special person who already was a great practitioner in the past.
a ok, it make sense! thanks!
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

Malcolm wrote:
Mariusz wrote:

No, not at all.

Thogal visions are wisdom appearances.
Yes, the 8 modes of lhundrup I mentioned and the second Marigpa I listed is because of lhundrub.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Mariusz wrote:
Until then, there's no buddhahood for the thogal practitioner. You are on the path until the fourth vision finishes. But, now consider this bit from Tilopa, "The uncreated ground of all is clear of the obscuring veil of propensities. Do not engage in meditation and post-meditation, but rest in the uncreated essence. Thus, outer appearances, inner perceptions and intellectual faculties are exhausted." Consider this from ChNN, "if you remain in the state of guru yoga you are a PERFECT Dzogchen practitioner." Tilopa, "When you become infused with the guru's blessing you will be liberated!"

Topic: FREE FROM LIMITATIONS

How you arrive at the state of exhaustion of your mind is up to you. As far as I can tell, ChNN, in every single retreat, extends the bridge for you to cross to the other shore. If you can cross into the state of the guru, you are Samantabhadra. It doesn't mean you are Samantabhadra minus four visions. He has never ever said that. There are three levels of intensity with which you can practice, semde, longde and upadesha. People get pretty jazzed up about Thogal, because there is solid visual evidence of what the guru is talking about plus all the intrigue around the secrecy. And yes they are "wisdom appearances" with the caveat that they are not yet completely pure, because the bodhisattva Samantabhadra, before becoming Buddha saw the five lights, but was not yet buddha. He was not buddha until, based on past knowledge, knew those appearances to be self-appearance. So seeing the appearances of Thogal are not the visions of a Buddha. You are not a buddha until the visions exhaust. And technically, as Malcolm has said many times, the five lights are not actually from pure winds. You purify them in the process of the system. What Thogal is showing you is guru yoga in direct perception. Rinpoche teaches Ati guru yoga. It is upadesha level.
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

deepbluehum wrote:
Mariusz wrote:
Until then, there's no buddhahood for the thogal practitioner. You are on the path until the fourth vision finishes. But, now consider this bit from Tilopa, "The uncreated ground of all is clear of the obscuring veil of propensities. Do not engage in meditation and post-meditation, but rest in the uncreated essence. Thus, outer appearances, inner perceptions and intellectual faculties are exhausted." Consider this from ChNN, "if you remain in the state of guru yoga you are a PERFECT Dzogchen practitioner." Tilopa, "When you become infused with the guru's blessing you will be liberated!"

Topic: FREE FROM LIMITATIONS

How you arrive at the state of exhaustion of your mind is up to you. As far as I can tell, ChNN, in every single retreat, extends the bridge for you to cross to the other shore. If you can cross into the state of the guru, you are Samantabhadra. It doesn't mean you are Samantabhadra minus four visions. He has never ever said that. There are three levels of intensity with which you can practice, semde, longde and upadesha. People get pretty jazzed up about Thogal, because there is solid visual evidence of what the guru is talking about plus all the intrigue around the secrecy. And yes they are "wisdom appearances" with the caveat that they are not yet completely pure, because the bodhisattva Samantabhadra, before becoming Buddha saw the five lights, but was not yet buddha. He was not buddha until, based on past knowledge, knew those appearances to be self-appearance. So seeing the appearances of Thogal are not the visions of a Buddha. You are not a buddha until the visions exhaust. And technically, as Malcolm has said many times, the five lights are not actually from pure winds. You purify them in the process of the system. What Thogal is showing you is guru yoga in direct perception. Rinpoche teaches Ati guru yoga. It is upadesha level.
What I wrote in the post above: the 3 visions of thogal are the second Marigpa which can have Samantabhadra and yet return (forth vision). All of them are not third marigpa where is the Mind. Please read Longchen Rabjam, Tulku Thondup: "The Practice of Dzogchen", Snow Lion Publications, 2002, ISBN 1559391790.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Mariusz wrote: What I wrote in the post above: the 3 visions of thogal are the second Marigpa which can have Samantabhadra and yet return (forth vision). All of them are not third marigpa where is the Mind. Please read Longchen Rabjam, Tulku Thondup: "The Practice of Dzogchen", Snow Lion Publications, 2002, ISBN 1559391790.
I've studied the text. It doesn't seem to be well translated or the concepts don't jibe somehow or perhaps I don't follow your writing well. This presentation is a bit confusing and strange. Longchenpa was a great teacher, but I'm not that jazzed about his writing. The three visions of thogal are still marigpa because you don't recognize them to be your own appearance yet. There is still some dualism vision. The visions themselves are pure, they are neither samsara nor nirvana, but you are not Samantabhadra and neither are they. Longchepa's language often, to my mind, ventures into the realm of idealism.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

deepbluehum wrote: Topic: FREE FROM LIMITATIONS

This is a very nice fantasy.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Andrew108 wrote:
deepbluehum wrote: Topic: FREE FROM LIMITATIONS

This is a very nice fantasy.
That's the way it is, really. Perhaps you are not ready to be free from limitations.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

deepbluehum wrote: That's the way it is, really. Perhaps you are not ready to be free from limitations.
''When one (tries to) correct just-that-ness, one (tries to) correct Pure Perfect Presence. In this way one produces the essence of samsara'' KG
Free from limitations? I don't turn presence into a reward. I'm not bothered with buddhahood.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Andrew108 wrote:
deepbluehum wrote: That's the way it is, really. Perhaps you are not ready to be free from limitations.
''When one (tries to) correct just-that-ness, one (tries to) correct Pure Perfect Presence. In this way one produces the essence of samsara'' KG
Free from limitations? I don't turn presence into a reward. I'm not bothered with buddhahood.
Good for you. I wasn't implying you were turning presence into a reward or trying to correct "thatness." I was responding to your perfunctory comment that ChNN is teaching us fantasies. I assure you, he is not.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

deepbluehum wrote:
Good for you. I wasn't implying you were turning presence into a reward or trying to correct "thatness." I was responding to your perfunctory comment that ChNN is teaching us fantasies. I assure you, he is not.
He teaches according to what his students understand conventionally.
The Blessed One said:

deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Andrew108 wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:
He teaches according to what his students understand conventionally.
Not so. He teaches according to Nyingthig Tantras. It is really up to the student to recognize their real nature per the direct introduction and guru yoga methods.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

deepbluehum wrote:And yes they are "wisdom appearances" with the caveat that they are not yet completely pure...
They are completely pure.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

deepbluehum wrote:
Mariusz wrote: What I wrote in the post above: the 3 visions of thogal are the second Marigpa which can have Samantabhadra and yet return (forth vision). All of them are not third marigpa where is the Mind. Please read Longchen Rabjam, Tulku Thondup: "The Practice of Dzogchen", Snow Lion Publications, 2002, ISBN 1559391790.
I've studied the text. It doesn't seem to be well translated or the concepts don't jibe somehow or perhaps I don't follow your writing well. This presentation is a bit confusing and strange. Longchenpa was a great teacher, but I'm not that jazzed about his writing. The three visions of thogal are still marigpa because you don't recognize them to be your own appearance yet. There is still some dualism vision. The visions themselves are pure, they are neither samsara nor nirvana, but you are not Samantabhadra and neither are they. Longchepa's language often, to my mind, ventures into the realm of idealism.
Thogal visions are not marigpa at all -- otherwise, they are not thogal visions.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Malcolm wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:And yes they are "wisdom appearances" with the caveat that they are not yet completely pure...
They are completely pure.
Havent' you explained before that the wind stirred in the basis is not pure per the moment before Samantabhadra's enlightenment?

Return to “Dzogchen”