YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Tech Help Needed - Dhamma Wheel

Tech Help Needed

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
sattva

Tech Help Needed

Postby sattva » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:58 am

For Christmas, a friend got me the movie LITTLE BUDDHA. I had recently purchased a yoga dvd and someone made an older VCR tape into a dvd format.

None of these play on my computer. I don't understand it. I remember getting several dvds from the library and using them on this computer in the past. Real Player says i need an update but nothing happens when i click that and windows media player says i need a decoder. I really don't want to spend any money if i can help it, especially when i am not sure if it will work. I also want to buy a chi kung dvd and am hesitant until i get this problem solved.

I am not very technically oriented and i like things simple, and for other reasons, i need something easy to use (especially visually). I am wondering if these dvds would play on a regular dvd player. I don't have one at this time.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Modus.Ponens

Re: Tech Help Needed

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 am

Hi sattva

The decoder that windows media player needs should be available on the internet for free. Just google the name of it. Otherwise, I have no sugestions, as I'm not knowledgeable enough.

Be well :)
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 am

VLC Player is supposed to be able to play just about anything. It's free. I don't use Windows, but the download for the Windows version is here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

The problem could possibly be that the DVDs you can't play are for a different region than USA, which I believe is Region 1. DVD players, and Windows, are set by default to only play a particular region. And that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject of playing DVDs. :shrug:

GrahamR

Postby GrahamR » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 am

With metta :bow:
Graham

poto

Postby poto » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 am

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Yeah, VLC will be your best free option.

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:44 pm

If it's DVD video, then the codec is not a problem and a more likely cause is having a DVD with a region that doesn't match your player. This is a firmware issue and other than finding out what the region of the disk is and setting the region of the player accordingly (which can be done only a limited number of times) I have no solution.

If on the other hand it isn't really a DVD video but a data DVD with a video file written to it, then it's indeed just a matter of finding the right codec or player (with the right codec in it). I also recommend VLC.

I hope this helps, but I would still recommend getting someone with some skill in computers (handy neighbour doing IT) to help you out.

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm thinking that it's not the region code because the error should say that. But it's certainly a possibility.

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:58 pm

sattva

Postby sattva » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 am

Thank you all for all your advice and knowledge. Metta

Return to “Lounge”