YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Do you travel alone? - Dhamma Wheel

Do you travel alone?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
pilgrim

Do you travel alone?

Postby pilgrim » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I was planning a short trip to a neighbouring country but could not get any friends to come along..I am in 2 minds about travelling alone. I worry about getting bored with no company over a long period of time. Its no fun wandering the streets by oneself or having dinner or sitting alone in your hotel room. How do others feel about this?

bodom

Re: Do you travel alone?

Postby bodom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Sorry, but I don't know if you are a man or a woman? :smile:

If you are a woman, I would recommend company, it's simply safer. If you're a man, it may be easier to meet "Natives" , if you are alone.

As a woman, I always found out it far easier to meet new people when you are already two, and -safer. Alone, you could be a target.
It's also nicer to share the new things with a friend.

Also, when you get ill in a foreign land it is better when somebody who speaks your language can support you.

When I went to the USA alone, to stay with Americans, I eventually reached a point, despite all the heartfelt hospitality, where I was pretty much overwhelmed with everything, and became homesick badly.

I would have been able to enjoy my stay much more, if I had traveled with some German friends. I know we would have had a ball, because I traveled most of Europe with fellow Germans, and it was always a lot of fun.

That's just my personal experience, and may not be relevant for others, but I always felt this way.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

palchi

Postby palchi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm travelling a lot alone, mostly for my work - and very often that leads me to cities in countries that don't quite make it onto the list of top 10 tourist attractions (well the countries maybe, the capitals rarely....). Also my job leads me to move to a different country across the world every few years (currently based in Africa) and that too means a lot of exploring on your own until you get settled.

I am a woman so am quite conscious of security issues but also reasonably street wise. Going out for dinner alone, exploring a place alone, while having no clue of the language spoken - all these are not only something to get used to but are actually great oportunities to learn. Especially about yourself. I have also met wonderful people along the way and made quite a lot of funny, weird or touching experiences. In some ways travelling alone keeps your mind and heart open to the world around you in a different way than when you are together with somebody else because you are in more direct interaction with your environment. It's a good experience to make...

palchi :hello:

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:29 pm

I used to travel alone a lot when going from meditation centres to monasteries and checking out the sights in between. Now I travel with a wife and daughter, I much prefer the former.

Anna is right in that it may be much easier for a man than a women to do this.

It will also be easier if you are the kind of person who likes to strike up conversations with strangers, or if you are the sort of person who is content with his own silence.

Shouldn't be a problem for a Pilgrim.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:13 pm

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 am

I traveled alone around the world for years and loved it--but I'm a solitary creature by nature.
Can't resist the urge to link to this:

May not be totally on topic but it is nice anyway.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:44 am

Thanks for all the insights. Yes I am a man and have traveled alone before. Its ok for the first couple of days. But I find the evenings the hardest. Its unwise to go out into a strange city at night. I don't go to bars. So after dinner, I'll find myself back in a cheap hotel in front of the TV waiting for sleep. Meditating in your hotel room under such circumstances doesn't lift the mind but sometimes increases the feeling of loneliness.

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17 am

A good book can help.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:08 am

Hm...yes, it can be unwise.

Try to go to a city with a university.

There are always small restaurants, bistros, cafes, crowded with students and locals, and it is usually easy to come into contact with others there, if you sit or stand close to each other.

In the daytime, if the weather is warm, you can sit outside in a street cafe, or on a bench, and make some contacts there for the evening.

If you are rather shy, this could be a problem however.

But the more casual you are, the less worried about what others may be thinking of you, the better.

Talk to people, ask for a nice place to eat, say you are new here and don't know what to do in the evenings, and then go there, better thna sitting in front of a TV, bring a book or magazine, and just sit with the others, eat, drink, read, watch them...

There are places where it is very easy to find other openminded folks.

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I have never travelled alone out of the country to be honest. I simply didn't have the means to do so, but this year I hope to get to the UK. Never been there before though.

adosa

Postby adosa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:32 am

A couple of years ago I rode my bicycle through northern Thailand and Laos alone. The trip was a little over 6 weeks. I noticed a person goes through every emotional state that they would at home but these states tend to be more amplified. Boredom, anxiety, restlessness, happiness are all there, we're just more in tune with them. You know the old saying rings true....."A man alone with his thoughts".

I found it great training in trying to keep the mind from bouncing all over the place. Traveling alone in a foreign country, especially with a language barrier, forces you to practice equanimity and display gratitude.

As I got my sea-legs I was struck by how much people went out of their way to welcome me in, help me out, or just chat with a wayward Falong.

I plan on doing it again as I think there were many experiences along the way that would not have happened with someone in tow. People will approach a solo traveler. Two travelers maybe. Any more and the dynamic changes.

The key is just to dive in and deal with the dukkha. It's going to be there no matter where we end up.

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183

alan

Postby alan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 am

Good for you adosa. I've done a few solo bike trips too. Nothing better to clear out the clutter.

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:43 am

I recently went to Myanmar alone. Once there, I met up with some remarkable people who accompanied me on a short pilgrimage before my long course. Following my long course, I was intending to travel alone, but as luck would have it, met some other incredible companions. There was only a few times I was alone which included a couple of bus trips and some nights in a roach hotel in Mandalay. Perhaps it was the circumstances, my kamma or paramis, but I probably wouldn't have had one of the most amazing experiences of my life if I had gone with someone else. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have an interesting time away.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

alan

Postby alan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:53 am

Wonderful!
Hope you will share some of those experiences with us, Ben.

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:30 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Return to “Lounge”