Dzochenpa Census

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Dzochenpa Census

Post by Grigoris »

Yes, you are right! Institutional Buddhism will never be the same again. The death knell has sounded. All praise the new king! etc... ad nauseum...
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Simon E. wrote:That particular body of water will not be back as a discrete entity I suspect.
That's what happens when you can't get a boy to stick his finger into a dyke.

:woohoo:
Left
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I expect the dyke is relieved.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Simon E. wrote:I expect the dyke is relieved.
LOL :)

Karma Vipaka has no limits so who know where the flow may take us all?

Sometimes a pebble drops into the water and creates ripples of gentle movement, at other times there is a flood and millions of pebbles are washed to another place.

One or two pebbles here have caused a ripple, but you'd think it was a full blown tsunami. :)
Left
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Um sorry to be a party pooper but...

:focus: Dzochenpa Census
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

OK :)

Is there any evidence that any DW members who were Buddhists practising Dzogchen before the growth of the DC presence here, are now no longer Buddhists?
Left
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I was a long term Buddhist ...nearly thirty years.
I neither reject or accept that term for myself now.

I did not grow jaded. Just grew away. I do not urge anyone else to follow my example.

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

This discussion on being bouddhist or not when practicing dzogchen is nearly ridiculous ... for any reason some have exagerated the sense of it.

What one can say is that from the pov of our real nature, where you come from is of no importance ... therefore buddhist or non buddhist is of no importance, but this is from the pov of our real nature.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Simon E. wrote:I was a long term Buddhist ...nearly thirty years.

I did not grow jaded. Just grew away. I do not urge anyone else to follow my example.

I guess the fundamental change must be one of Refuge.

After all, we may fit the requirements of many faiths through meeting behavioural expectations, but ultimately it is Refuge which identifies our specific faith.

Followers of the Dharma may take Refuge in Dharma and Sangha but the main issue is how we define 'Buddha' as an object of Refuge.

Is that a fair way to assess a change away from the label of 'Buddhist' ?
Left
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Sönam wrote:This discussion on being bouddhist or not when practicing dzogchen is nearly ridiculous ... for any reason some have exagerated the sense of it.

What one can say is that from the pov of our real nature, where you come from is of no importance ... therefore buddhist or non buddhist is of no importance, but this is from the pov of our real nature.

Sönam
I think it is fair to ask, as this thread is in the Lounge and so we don't have to view this from a Dzogchen or ChNNR perspective.

The assertion you make that 'Buddhist or non Buddhist is of no importance' expresses precisely the view that Buddhists here may wish to adopt and drop their 'Buddhist' label. I'm curious to know how many have been affected by that view and have dropped their 'Buddhist' label and how many feel no need to do so.
I agree, there is no need to do so.

This is a Buddhist forum so there is no problem, surely, in asking others if they have changed from that view. :shrug:
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Blue Garuda wrote: Followers of the Dharma may take Refuge in Dharma and Sangha but the main issue is how we define 'Buddha' as an object of Refuge.
I take refuge in my real nature. This goes beyond, "Buddhist" or "Non-Buddhist".

Kevin
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Virgo wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote: Followers of the Dharma may take Refuge in Dharma and Sangha but the main issue is how we define 'Buddha' as an object of Refuge.
I take refuge in my real nature. This goes beyond, "Buddhist" or "Non-Buddhist".

Kevin
That's not the question I was posing. I wanted to know how many no longer consider themselves Buddhists. To answer that Dzogchen is beyond such distinctions has been aired here very often, but isn't what I was asking.

It's a simple question, surely. The two answers could be paraphrased as:

Buddhist before encountering Dzogchen, Buddhist afterwards.

Buddhist before encountering Dzogchen teachings, no longer Buddhist.
Left
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Sönam wrote:This discussion on being bouddhist or not when practicing dzogchen is nearly ridiculous ... for any reason some have exagerated the sense of it.

Sönam
I think it is fair to ask, as this thread is in the Lounge and so we don't have to view this from a Dzogchen or ChNNR perspective.

The assertion you make that 'Buddhist or non Buddhist is of no importance' expresses precisely the view that Buddhists here may wish to adopt and drop their 'Buddhist' label. I'm curious to know how many have been affected by that view and have dropped their 'Buddhist' label and how many feel no need to do so.
No one would really disagree with: "from the pov of our real nature, where you come from is of no importance ... therefore Buddhist or non Buddhist is of no importance." It does not mean that one has to drop any Buddhist labelling. Nor it does not mean that one has to not practice Buddhism.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Kevin
That's not the question I was posing. I wanted to know how many no longer consider themselves Buddhists. To answer that Dzogchen is beyond such distinctions has been aired here very often, but isn't what I was asking.

You wanted to organize a poll :)

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Simon E. wrote:I was a long term Buddhist ...nearly thirty years.

I guess the fundamental change must be one of Refuge.

After all, we may fit the requirements of many faiths through meeting behavioural expectations, but ultimately it is Refuge which identifies our specific faith.

Followers of the Dharma may take Refuge in Dharma and Sangha but the main issue is how we define 'Buddha' as an object of Refuge.

Is that a fair way to assess a change away from the label of 'Buddhist' ?
What is there to take Refuge from ? Its all just stuff..
And here I am blithely typing words that once would have had me reaching for the Gun Of Buddhist Righteousness that I kept to hand..
Just to make one thing clear I did not reach this position as a result of reading Malcolm's posts.
I had already reached that position. Reading Malcolm's posts resulted in my posting to this forum.

But I am gabbling. :namaste:

Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Sönam wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:

Sönam

No one would really disagree with: "from the pov of our real nature, where you come from is of no importance ... therefore Buddhist or non Buddhist is of no importance." It does not mean that one has to drop any Buddhist labelling. Nor it does not mean that one has to not practice Buddhism.

Sönam

I asked whether people had abandoned the Buddhist label, not whether it was necessary.

Maybe I'm just not expressing myself clearly. I feel like I am asking if anyone changed their car lately and being answered by people pointing out that it is not necessary.
Left
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Blue Garuda wrote:I asked whether people had abandoned the Buddhist label, not whether it was necessary.

Maybe I'm just not expressing myself clearly. I feel like I am asking if anyone changed their car lately and being answered by people pointing out that it is not necessary.

:lol: glad to see someone else is having um an interesting time trying to get a message across.

:oops: no I am not glad but I cannot help laughing out loud at the moment. ..... normal service (such as it is) will be resumed shortly.

:offtopic:

:focus:

Regards,
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Virgo wrote:

Kevin
I don't wish to be contrarian, but I must point out that "Buddhist" or "Non-Buddhist" means different things to different people--that's perhaps the most obvious "take-away" for anyone who's ever spent any time here at DW.

If one defines one's "Real Nature" as Buddha, then, perhaps, one is taking refuge in one's real nature when one is taking refuge in Buddha. I agree with My Cerulean Feathered Friend--how we define 'Buddha' makes a world of difference.

I don't think too many of us, for instance, take refuge in the organic remains of some Nepali-Prince-turned-Renunciate-turned-Awakened One who died 2500 years ago or so.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Kevin

Hi BG,

I don't say "I am a Buddhist" nor do I say "I am not a Buddhist". I am not defined by those things.

Kevin
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

conebeckham wrote: I don't think too many of us, for instance, take refuge in the organic remains of some Nepali-Prince-turned-Renunciate-turned-Awakened One who died 2500 years ago or so.....
You mean venerating the relic Buddha finger I bought on eBay is pointless? Damn. LOL :)

The devil is in the detail, for sure.

Guruyoga comes in many forms and you could almost start at the other end and say that people who are not seeking their true nature are not Buddhists.

That would make a great thread........................not. ;)
Left

Return to “Lounge”