Buddhist or not - poll

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.

Am I a Buddhist?

I consider myself a Buddhist.
78%
I do not consider myself a Buddhist.
22%

Total votes: 79

dharmagoat

Re: Buddhist or not - poll

Post by dharmagoat »

Will wrote:It is interesting the hoops people jump through to maintain distance from a group or maybe it is to strengthen one's individuality - beats me.
It's simple. A buddhist is truly buddhist when they declare themself a non-buddhist.
jikai

Post by jikai »

Buddhist...
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
ram peswani

Post by ram peswani »

I reject Buddhism as a religion as it is normal practice around, So I am what I am by birth a Hindu.

For me Buddhism is a pure science and above religion and it is the basic nature of everyone of us to enquire who? why?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I'm buddhist as a mofo. :guns:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

tomamundsen wrote:I'm buddhist as a mofo. :guns:
What does that actually mean ?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Lotus_Bitch

Post by Lotus_Bitch »

dharmagoat wrote:
Will wrote:It is interesting the hoops people jump through to maintain distance from a group or maybe it is to strengthen one's individuality - beats me.
It's simple. A buddhist is truly buddhist when they declare themself a non-buddhist.
:lol:

IMO, when it comes down to it: If an individual accepts the basic tenets of the four noble truth's, noble eightfold path, the three dharma seals (or four depending on if you want to go by the four seals model,) dependent origination and the middle way (also rebirth and the twelvefold chain of dependent origination, mofo's!!)....Then they are practitioners of the Buddha-Dharma regardless if they identify with a superficial label of 'Buddhist' or not. The commonality between us as practitioners (I think) is just that.

We are children of the unsurpassed Dharma of the Conquerors; following in the footsteps of those who's aim was annihilation of suffering. The path as traveled by the Victorious Ones of the three times, I pay homage!!
Many meditators know how to meditate,
But only a few know how to dismantle [mental clinging].
- Je Gyare
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

I don't get this posturing. Seems like so much attachment to non-labels and aversion to labels.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

pueraeternus wrote:I don't get this posturing. Seems like so much attachment to non-labels and aversion to labels.
Some like to sit, some like to stand and others like to lean...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Simon E. wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:I'm buddhist as a mofo. :guns:
What does that actually mean ?
Apologies to those outside of the US. Mofo is an American vulgarism, short for motherf***er, that is sometimes used in a positive sense, similar to badass.
ground

Post by ground »

Not, because impossible to consider my self :meditate:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ground wrote:Not, because impossible to consider my self :meditate:
Bullshit artist! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Caz

Post by Caz »

Certainly a Buddhist :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”