Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Postby Matticus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 am

Does anyone know a location of this Sutra? It's the translated name from Chinese or Sanskrit. I don't know the Original title of the Sutra. It was mentioned in the White Skeleton Visualization meditation segment of Bavo Lievens' book, "The Mind Experiment". He mentions that it contains more than 30 plus variations of this meditation. Any help finding a translation of this Sutra would be INCREDIBLY helpful!
Matticus

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Postby Jnana » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am

It's probably T 15 No. 613 Chan miyaofa jing. This text is only extant in Chinese, and AFAIK it hasn't been translated into English. See A Study of the Meditation Methods in the DESM and Other Early Chinese Texts by Ven. Dr. Yuanci.

* N.B. This paper first lists the text as T 15 No. 603, which is incorrect, but later corrects this to T 15 No. 613.
Jnana

Postby pueraeternus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Jnana wrote:It's probably T 15 No. 613 Chan miyaofa jing. This text is only extant in Chinese, and AFAIK it hasn't been translated into English. See A Study of the Meditation Methods in the DESM and Other Early Chinese Texts by Ven. Dr. Yuanci.

* N.B. This paper first lists the text as T 15 No. 603, which is incorrect, but later corrects this to T 15 No. 613.

Excellent paper. Thanks Jnana!
When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Postby Leo Rivers » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:50 pm

This is an amazing essay! Out of the blue from you - Thank you.
:guns:

It bridges the Pre-Mahayana Yogacara and the Yogacarabhumi of The Classic Third Turning of the Wheel.

I fixed the mis-quote in Adobe Acrobat if you want a corrected pdf.
:thanks:
Leo Rivers

Postby Matticus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Jnana wrote:It's probably T 15 No. 613 Chan miyaofa jing. This text is only extant in Chinese, and AFAIK it hasn't been translated into English. See A Study of the Meditation Methods in the DESM and Other Early Chinese Texts by Ven. Dr. Yuanci.

Wow my friend, this is EXACTLY the sort of response I was hoping for! Well, maybe not EXACTLY, haha. I was crossing many fingers for info on an easy to obtain, English translation of the sutra. This is still more than wonderful, thank you! EDIT: Afterthought, does anyone know how to get ahold of a Chinese copy???
Matticus

Postby Astus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Here is the Chinese on CBETA: 禪祕要法經
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Matticus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Astus wrote:Here is the Chinese on CBETA: 禪祕要法經

Wow, this is fantastic, thanks again you guys. I don't understand a word of it, but the first leg of the journey is complete! Time to start bothering people I know that can read Chinese..... Or learn it myelf??!! DUN DUN DUN
Matticus

Postby Astus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:52 am

Matticus wrote:Wow, this is fantastic, thanks again you guys. I don't understand a word of it, but the first leg of the journey is complete! Time to start bothering people I know that can read Chinese..... Or learn it myelf??!! DUN DUN DUN

Just make sure that those people can read classic Chinese with Buddhist terminology.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Return to Sūtra Studies