A good question

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Wesley1982

A good question

Post by Wesley1982 »

What was the Buddha's way of solving objective problems?.. :?
plwk

Re: A good question

Post by plwk »

And how is 'objective problem' defined?
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

For example, persistent technical "problems" that can come from a relative or family member.
plwk

Post by plwk »

'technical problems' need 'technical details' if ever 'objective answers' are sought...
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Wesley1982 wrote:For example, persistent technical "problems" that can come from a relative or family member.

'Persistent technical problems' Like they refuse to work with their wheelchair and make you do it, or refuse to use a cane and are blind and keep stumbling on stuff?

In my experience, 'objective problems' come from 'subjective views', therefore, addressing the subjective view involved with kindness to help the person untie the knots they're putting forth that create the 'objective problem' thrown your way would be most beneficial. Caveat: this is super broad, since objective problems could be your brother in law beating your sister every day.. in which case, the police are needed.

:shrug:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I am probably thinking of specific stuff that goes on in retirement homes and assisted living facilities.

The nurses and assistants probably know what I'm talking about.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Ogyen wrote: In my experience, 'objective problems' come from 'subjective views', therefore, addressing the subjective view involved with kindness to help the person untie the knots they're putting forth that create the 'objective problem' thrown your way would be most beneficial. Caveat: this is super broad, since objective problems could be your brother in law beating your sister every day.. in which case, the police are needed.
Police are not needed in this instance. I've seen many & many police on the news media channels.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Back to the OP ~ how would the Buddha treat family members with chores of responsibility?..
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Help them as much as possible. Just help according to your capacity to help. There is no particular philosophy involved. No need to be buddhist about it.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”