YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bhikkhu Thanissaro The full article. - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

Bhikkhu Thanissaro The full article.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nyana

Re: Bhikkhu Thanissaro The full article.

Postby Nyana » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:27 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am

stand back ...?
The ad fella said this in a tone of great seriousness btw. All strokey beardy.

alan

Postby alan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 am

Hi Geoff
You seem to be a smart guy and are obviously a much more advanced student of the Dhamma than me, so I look over your posts with considerable interest. But one thing struck me, hope you will explain.
You said: "if we understand that our social and cultural situation is part of our Kamma inheritance..,"
I don't get that. Why should we assume such a thing?
Also don't understand why asava should be understood in terms of content.

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 am

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:30 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 am

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 am

Very interesting, Geoff. So it sounds like some of the Asian Dharma teachers that have made use of "Romantic" English words and Western ideas may have been reaching for concepts to express somewhat similar ideas from their own Asian traditions and cultures?

If so, that would mean that it's not so simple a task to pinpoint the origins of these ideas.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:40 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Fortunately pour moi I have no ambitions beyond a reasonable grasp of one tradition..... the tradition that this forum is an expression of.
Which is why Than Thanissarro is pretty much MY cup of tea. And why his critique of Romanticism has particular resonance for many who follow the Theravada.
Nowhere does he say that ideas analogous to Romanticism are not found in other Buddhist traditions.
Nowhere does he say that there is no other ideological barrier than Romanticism to an understanding of Buddha Dhamma.
He is saying that Romanaticism does not form a comfortable fit with the Buddha Dhamma of the Pali Canon.
He is addressing a group of people sympatico to the Theravada.
For many of us the Theravada is a conscious choice after exploring other Buddhist traditions, somtimes in depth. We have not somehow slipped into the Theravada for want of knowledge of alternatives.
:anjali:

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 am

You mention the good Ven. TNH at our temple and the Abbot just shakes his head.

Of course, I'm a bit more vocal - The good sir's attempt to mind-meld Buddhism and Christianity (Jesus 'n Buddha as blood brothers - feh!) and the 'inter-isness' we're all one big oneness really drives me up a wall - but that's just me.

With strong views here on Mt. Meru,

V.

NB I heard Ven Bodhi once, upon request of a student, explicate Ven TNH's take on things in accordance with the Canon - he did a pretty good job of it - cross-referencing things - well - he always does - but I got the impression that it was sort of an intellectual exercise - there didn't appear to be any conviction in it - and Ven Bodhi is very nice to students of other schools and beginners - he's very very patient - but keep in mind this is my 'view' on the conversation .... I don't want to speak for him - I just sort of felt that it was more of an exercise rather than a real argument for (or against) Ven TNH's teachings ... I ain't as nice as Ven. Bodhi ...
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am

Oh and thanks to Alan and Peter for the article - really interesting.

Personally, I've always hated philosophy - except for the old stoics. No wonder Theravadin Buddhism appeals to me - I never liked the gooshy one-ness thing - it always felt phony to me. I never could grok it.

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 am

:anjali:
The reality is that a LOT of Abbotts and Bhikkhus shake their heads at the mention of TNH, one well known Abott has been known in addition to shaking his head, raise his eyebrows to the ceiling...they dont say much. it would be against their code of conduct to do so...but often within those constraints they will be quite eloquent...it is fairly common for newcomers to the Theravada to assume that the monks will hold TNH in high regard...usually they are discreetly pointed to a source more in keeping with the Pali Canon...

Whether TNH's views derive in any way from Romanticism is a moot point.

What is an observable fact is that they are frequently roped in to reinforce a Romantic view of Dhamma.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:37 am

Its not All One, Tilt ?
There I was all set for tripping through the meadows with a rose between my teeth. while raising Kundalini, recalling past births,severing Karmic bonds with my ancestors, integrating my Shadow Personality and so enabling the children of the world to live in peace.....Now you have gone and spoilt it...duh !

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”