Pratyutpanna Sutra Questions

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Pratyutpanna Sutra Questions

Postby Nosta » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 pm

The questions i am making are from this sutra:

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra22.html

1) In Chapter 5, in the first poem/group of verses, it is said that one should avoid sleep. One cannot avoid sleep. It is known that not sleeping brings mental ilness and physical weekness. In fact its used as a form of torture. So, how can we understand such advice: avoid sleep?

2) In the same chapter and in the same group of verses it is state: always beg for food, not acepting meal invitations. If you look near the end of that chapter, right before the last group of verses, you will read: [you/the monk] should offer a sitting-down meal to bhikṣus or bhikṣuṇīs who pass by. How can we offer to other monks something that we, as monks, must avoid [accepting meals]? Isnt that a contradition? What am i not understanding here?

Thank you for clarifying such questions.

You should read this sutra, its a good Dharma teaching in my opinion. My thanks to the member (cannot remember who was) that posted the link to this sutra at some weeks ago, on other thread.
Nosta

Re: Pratyutpanna Sutra Questions

Postby Will » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:47 am

Re: avoiding sleep

Cease all thoughts and be vigilant for a given period of time, never distracted.
Progress energetically, never negligent or indolent.
Do not count the years, nor feel tired in a single day.
Hold one thought, never losing it.
Avoid sleep and keep the mind alert.

The context is about being energetic, alert & not lazy or befuddled. Sleeping too much befogs the mind, so cut back on the amount of sleep. In some monasteries only 4 or 5 hours a night are suggested. But one may have to work up to those few hours.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Nosta » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for your answer.

What about the other question, any toughts?
Nosta

Postby LastLegend » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Nosta wrote:The questions i am making are from this sutra:

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra22.html

1) In Chapter 5, in the first poem/group of verses, it is said that one should avoid sleep. One cannot avoid sleep. It is known that not sleeping brings mental ilness and physical weekness. In fact its used as a form of torture. So, how can we understand such advice: avoid sleep?

Avoid sleep means don't sleep too much because when you sleep you are not aware. So sleep enough. Monks only sleep 4 hours per day. Don't be attached to sleep in other words.

2) In the same chapter and in the same group of verses it is state: always beg for food, not acepting meal invitations. If you look near the end of that chapter, right before the last group of verses, you will read: [you/the monk] should offer a sitting-down meal to bhikṣus or bhikṣuṇīs who pass by. How can we offer to other monks something that we, as monks, must avoid [accepting meals]? Isnt that a contradition? What am i not understanding here?

Beg for food-eat whatever given. Monks should have no desire for meal invitations. Yes, monks can accept meal invitations only because they want help commoners generate merits. When you give monks food, you generate merits. So in other words, don't be attached to eating.

There are 5 forms of attachment: Wealth (money), sex, fame, food, and sleep. These are major obstacles that prevent us from becoming enlightened.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Will » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Nosta wrote:Thanks for your answer.

What about the other question, any toughts?

The 'meal' matter is resolved by reading the passage again, more carefully. The meal offering to monks is to be made by lay women (upasikas), not from monks.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Nosta » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:14 am

I think i am understanding now.

Thanks!
Nosta

Return to Sūtra Studies