Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby pemachophel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Today is the fourth anniversary of the passing of Sonam Kazi (Kazi Sonam Tobgyal), one of the earliest Teachers of Dzogpa Chenpo Longchen Nyingthig in the U.S. "Mr. Kazi," as He was known by his American students, was a student of H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, Chatral Rinpoche, Jestun Shuksep Chonyid Wangmo, the 16th Karmapa, and Khyentse Chokyi Lodro (among others). Mr. Kazi spent the last 12 or so years in life-retreat. He left His body in Harris, NY after sitting in thukdam for seven days. He was the model of a Dzogchen hidden yogi.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby Clarence » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I think you were pretty close to him, right? He sounds like a remarkable man.

You once wrote you were practicing Dzogchen for some time and thought you had it down until you met a real master who set you straight in one meeting. That was you if I remember correctly. And were you talking about Sonam Kazi, right? If not, I will delete this last part.

Best, C
Clarence
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby heart » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:53 pm

pemachophel wrote:Today is the fourth anniversary of the passing of Sonam Kazi (Kazi Sonam Tobgyal), one of the earliest Teachers of Dzogpa Chenpo Longchen Nyingthig in the U.S. "Mr. Kazi," as He was known by his American students, was a student of H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, Chatral Rinpoche, Jestun Shuksep Chonyid Wangmo, the 16th Karmapa, and Khyentse Chokyi Lodro (among others). Mr. Kazi spent the last 12 or so years in life-retreat. He left His body in Harris, NY after sitting in thukdam for seven days. He was the model of a Dzogchen hidden yogi.


Emaho!

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby pemachophel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Clarence,

Sorry, I knew absolutely nothing about Dzogchen when I met Mr. Kazi in New Delhi; so I'm not sure what you're referring to. But yes, I was close to Mr. K. I can't count how many times I had to retype Mr. Kazi's translation of Kunzang Lamai Shaylung (before electric typewriters, let alone computers). Ever heard of carbon paper? In any case, I miss Him fiercely no matter how fierce He could be. Especially today.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby Clarence » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Wow, sounds like a great task master. :-) Sorry to hear you miss him so much but glad to hear he taught you a lot. Best to you on this day. I know what it is losing a father, a Guru is probably worse. Especially when you are close.
Clarence
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby oldbob » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:26 pm

heart wrote:
pemachophel wrote:Today is the fourth anniversary of the passing of Sonam Kazi (Kazi Sonam Tobgyal), one of the earliest Teachers of Dzogpa Chenpo Longchen Nyingthig in the U.S. "Mr. Kazi," as He was known by his American students, was a student of H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, Chatral Rinpoche, Jestun Shuksep Chonyid Wangmo, the 16th Karmapa, and Khyentse Chokyi Lodro (among others). Mr. Kazi spent the last 12 or so years in life-retreat. He left His body in Harris, NY after sitting in thukdam for seven days. He was the model of a Dzogchen hidden yogi.


Emaho!

/magnus


Emaho!

Life with the Kazi's was not easy and Yabla was a fierce Teacher. May he rest in Peace. I had the privilege of being his driver for a few years between Philadelphia and NYC, 1969-1971 and then followed him to NYC. He had us do the HH Dudjom RInpoche short Nundro followed by the Longchen Nyingtig long Nundro. He brought in HH Dodrup Chen Rinpoche and Ven. Gyatrul Rinpoche to give empowerments and teachings. He was the first Dzogchen Master that I know of teaching in the US. Those were interesting times, before the deluge of the many books on Dzogchen, with little other information available to contextualize the experience of Dzogchen.

I miss him too.

If you want to see what life was like with the Kazi's start from chapter 10, but Bob Flaw's excellent blog is a very good account of what what the journey was like for an early seeker of Dzogchen in the US. Bob is an excellent writer and the entire blog makes a great read.

Many of my experiences were similar.

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -of-a-1969

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-2

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-3

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-4

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-5

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-6

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-7

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-8

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... -chapter-9

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... chapter-10

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... chapter-11

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... chapter-12

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... chapter-13

http://www.bluepoppy.com/blog/blogs/blo ... chapter-14
oldbob
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby pemachophel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm

I dunno. That Bob Flaws character seems to be very full of himself.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby heart » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 pm

pemachophel wrote:I dunno. That Bob Flaws character seems to be very full of himself.


:rolling:

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby pemachophel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 pm

BTW, Jim Valby corrected me a few days ago. This was the third anniversary of Mr. K's passing, not the fourth. It was four Junes ago, but that makes it the third anniversary.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby oldbob » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 pm

heart wrote:
pemachophel wrote:I dunno. That Bob Flaws character seems to be very full of himself.


:rolling:

/magnus



Are you implying that we are not full of ourselves (present, and not present, DW company excepted of course)?

:rolling:
oldbob
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Anniversary of the Passing of Sonam Kazi

Postby Pero » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:00 pm

oldbob wrote:
heart wrote:
pemachophel wrote:I dunno. That Bob Flaws character seems to be very full of himself.


:rolling:

/magnus



Are you implying that we are not full of ourselves (present, and not present, DW company excepted of course)?

:rolling:

Hehe, Pema Chophel actually is Bob Flaws. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1797
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm



Return to Nyingma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

>