YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Dependent Origination and Kamma - Dhamma Wheel

Dependent Origination and Kamma

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Wizard in the Forest

Dependent Origination and Kamma

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:30 am

I would like to know the relationship between Kamma and dependent origination. A person has told me Kamma is the driving force behind dependent origination, but I don't think so. I think it is obviously a result of dependent origination, but not the ultimate push behind it. I always thought ignorance is the push, but I would like to be sure. If anyone has suttas that explain it, I'd be grateful, and if any Bhantes can clarify or help me understand the relationship between the two, I would be really grateful too.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir

Goofaholix

Re: Dependent Origination and Kamma

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:07 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:43 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 am

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 am

Will

Postby Will » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:17 pm

A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I think sankhara -the second step- can be defined in various ways. It could mean mental, verbal and physical intentions (cetana), in which case that step could be considered karma. (as cetana is karma, according to the Buddha). Avijja gives rise to karma (correct) and in its absence (as in arahanths) no karma is produced.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”